Former NBA Standout Anthony Mason Passes Away

Former NBA Standout Anthony Mason Passes Away

A Story by Trent Keitel
"

My unique experience with the late Anthony Mason.

"
Former NBA Standout Anthony Mason Passes Away

By Trent Keitel

Imagine yourself as an eight year old looking up at and shaking the hand of a 6 foot 7 inch, 250-pound professional athlete. Your arm shakes back and forth as your hand disappears inside of his. Looking up to him thinking “Wow, he is a giant!” I had this experience with the late Anthony Mason, who sadly passed away at the end of February due to congestive heart failure. Anthony Mason played professional basketball from 1988-2003 for numerous teams. From 2001-2003 he played for the Milwaukee Bucks, during his time as a Buck I had the unique opportunity to meet him before a game. I was watching the pre-game shoot around near the tunnel that leads to the team’s locker rooms. As the players concluded practice, Anthony Mason walked by and stopped to autograph my game ticket. My eyes lit up with excitement as they still do when I am able to communicate with any professional athlete. As stated by Rob Parker, A Shadows League columnist, who covered Mason in the 1980s and 1990s, “The soulful Mason was beloved by the fans, particularly because of his affinity for the kids, never failing to take the time to sign autographs and chat with the masses.”

This was the type of man Anthony Mason was. He had enormous passion for the game and loved his fans. Whenever he walked into a room, people noticed because of his large frame and presence. A “gentle giant” some would say as he was a competitive athlete on the court but off, he was a loving family man and did charitable work within the community. According to Ric Bucher, NBA Senior Writer for Bleacher Report, "He was a mean guy when he played. There was no lovey-dovey, no going out to dinner with guys or hugs before the game. If you got to know him, though, he was a gentle giant.”

Mason’s premature death at the age of 48 comes to a shock to all of us in the sports world. Mason had been in the hospital a couple weeks having to deal with multiple surgeries and heart complications. As stated by New York Sports Hub writer Ned O’Bryan, “Anthony Mason not only played to win the game, but to win the fight as well.” Unfortunately, Mason did not win this fight, but make no mistake about it Mason had a caring heart and will be missed. 

This story is tragic but it also brought people together. I was able to share my story about Anthony Mason with people who may not have known him well.  I feel I am spreading the legacy of “Big Mase” by telling this story to friends and peers about the positive and lasting influence he has on basketball fans. I did not know Mason personally but I will never forget the few moments he took out of his day to spend with me. 

Rest Easy “Big Mase” 

© 2015 Trent Keitel


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

91 Views
Added on March 23, 2015
Last Updated on March 23, 2015

Author

Trent Keitel
Trent Keitel

Sheboygan, WI



About
Communications Major with an emphasis in Journalism at Marian University (WI). Looking to become a sports writer. Always looking for advice to become a better writer. more..

Writing