Baseball Player Kicked off Team for Obscene Tweet

Baseball Player Kicked off Team for Obscene Tweet

A Story by Trent Keitel
"

Mo'ne Davis

"

Baseball Player Kicked off Team for Obscene Tweet


By Trent Keitel


Over this past summer a star, in Mo’ne Davis, was born. She is 12 years old and is the first girl to pitch a winning game in the Little League World Series. In that game she pitched six innings and through eight strikeouts, which is amazing because she was dominating against boys. Her popularity increased over night as ESPN and other major news channels talked about her unique athletic ability and skill. In recent months she has been on talk shows and even made an appearance in the NBA Celebrity All-Star game.


Recently Disney released a statement saying they are coming out with a movie based on Mo’ne Davis’s life and accomplishments. As stated by Denise Petski “Disney Channel is developing Throw Like Mo, a biographical original movie, that will tell the sports prodigy’s inspiring story.


Unfortunately in this day and age if you are a celebrity people on the internet will gossip about you and there is no way around it. Mo’ne Davis found this out very quickly after Disney released their statement about making the movie Throw Like Mo. Joey Casselberry, who attends Bloomsburg University and is on the school’s baseball team posted an obscene tweet relating to Mo’ne. The tweet posted by Casselberry read “Disney is making a movie about Mo’ne Davis? WHAT A JOKE. That s**t got rocked by Nevada.” News stations and media quickly became aware of the situation, knowing this would be a big news story. Many people are disgusted by Casselberry’s tweet and are calling him sexist. His twitter account has since been deleted but the damage has already been done. Bloomsburg University baseball program has dismissed Casselberry from the team following his actions.


Mo’ne Davis had her own response to the situation which perplexed some people. According to Layla Jones of Philly.com “Davis reached out to the university and asked for Casselberry to be reinstated. The Little League World Series star, emailed university President David L. Soltz Sunday evening and asked the school to reconsider Casselberry’s dismissal.” This is a testament to the maturity level of Mo’ne Davis. Davis admits her feelings where hurt as she saw the tweet but knows that everyone makes mistakes and believes Casselberry deserves a second chance. The school respects Mo’ne and the way she handled the situation but they are staying true to their word by not reinstating Casselberry.


There is a strong lessen to be learned here, we must always be conscious of what we are posting on the internet. The saying used to be “think before you speak” and it is now transforming into “think before you tweet.”

 

 

 


 

Jones, Layla. March 23 2015 “Mo’ne Davis asks Bloomsburg to reinstate player who insulted her.” Retrieved from http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/trending/Mone-Davis-asks-Bloomsburg-to-reinstate-player-who-insulted-her.html

 

Petski, Denise. March 19 2015. “Disney Channel Developing Mo’ne Davis Movie ‘Throw Like Mo.’” Retrieved from http://deadline.com/2015/03/disney-channel-developing-mone-davis-movie-throw-like-mo-1201395137/

© 2015 Trent Keitel


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

75 Views
Added on March 24, 2015
Last Updated on March 24, 2015

Author

Trent Keitel
Trent Keitel

Sheboygan, WI



About
Communications Major with an emphasis in Journalism at Marian University (WI). Looking to become a sports writer. Always looking for advice to become a better writer. more..

Writing