Happy Endings Are Just Fairytales That Haven't Finished Yet

Happy Endings Are Just Fairytales That Haven't Finished Yet

A Story by Treo LeGigeo
"

"I'm sorry, I don't want to marry her, but I have a responsibility to my kingdom," he said to me. "I really do love you, it's just... I'm sorry."

"
They stand in the courtyard in their finery, the Prince of the land dressed in a majestic black tunic and the daughter of the kingdom's richest Lord draped in the glorious white silks of her dressing gown. The people cheer as they walk past, throwing ribbons and flowers at the newlywed couple. The Prince basks in the attention, smiling and waving at the crowd as he leads his bride toward the castle gates.

It should be me.

It should be me at his side, wearing his ring, spending his wedding night. How many times had he told me that? How many times had he whispered words of love in my ear, telling me that I was the only woman for him, promising that we would be together forever?

And how many times had I believed him.

I should have known, I should have realised that a Prince like him would never marry a common girl like me. But I didn't. Instead, I lived thoughtlessly by his side as his mistress, his paramour, oblivious to the whispers around me. Whispers that the Prince had no business with frolicking with a poor serving girl when he should be looking for a suitable wife.

After the first week at his castle I asked him what would become of us, and he said that he would marry me. It placated me enough then. A month went past, then two, three, four, and soon a whole year had gone without any mention of marriage.

I wasn't stupid, I knew that it was unnatural for a man and a woman to live together for that long without being wed. I knew that it was unnatural for a member of the royal family to wed to a woman of my calibre. I just thought...

Well that's the thing. I didn't think. I always assumed that he would defy tradition, that his love for me was more important than his reputation. He did love me, of that I have no doubt. Just not enough, I guess.

They're at the gate now, the Prince smiles at the footman who opens it for him. It hurts. It's the same thing he did the first time he took me into the castle. The two walk inside, out of my sight, but I know what is happening. The image plays in my mind, the men jeering and the women giggling as they lead the nervous couple to their bedchamber, laughing, smiling, happy...

A tear runs down the side of my face.

It was supposed to be me, he said it would be me. Well, at least until that day.

"You know I have to do this, you know I have no choice."
"You always have a choice, choose me. You love me, not her!"
"I have a responsibility to my kingdom, it doesn't matter who I love."
"Yes it does, it matters to you, and to me. And we-"
"There's no point in arguing. We always knew this was coming."
"You knew? What do you mean you knew? You've been lying to me, leading me on for the past year? Pretending you were going to marry me, tricking me into thinking this was forever?"
"I'm sorry, I just, I really do love you. I'm sorry."

The wedding was arranged the next day.


The people in the courtyard are beginning to disperse now, each going back to there own comfortable house where a spouse and children await them with a hot meal. They're leaving, walking away, heading back home, emptying the space. Finally, all that is left in the courtyard are the few fallen decorations that litter the ground, wrinkled and crumpled from being repeatedly trampled underfoot. Simple debris of a recent joyous occasion.

But even as I watch the light afternoon breeze picks them up and blows them away, leaving only me, sitting by myself at the small window in the highest turret with nothing but desperate memories and a broken heart.

"And lo and behold, the dainty glass slipper fitted on her foot perfectly."

I look away from the window, my tear filled gaze turning into the dark, empty room that he used to share.

"So the Prince found his Cinderella, and the two lived Happily Ever After."

Ever After didn't last very long.

© 2013 Treo LeGigeo


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I should have known, I should have realised that a Prince like - realized

I wasn't stupid, I knew that it was - comma should be a colon

wed to a woman of my calibre.- caliber

It was supposed to be me, he said it - colon not a comma

each going back to there own comfortable house - there should be their
Until all that is left in the courtyard are the few fallen decorations that littler the ground, wrinkled and crumpled from being repeatedly trampled underfoot. - fragment

this was very good and entertaining to read :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

It was a great story, I have nothing to add to the previous comment, there were a few grammar mistakes, but that's life, all the ones I would have mentioned were already said. I love how the line about the glass slipper gives you the hint that Cinderella never married her prince for real and it was confirmed in those last few sentences.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Very interesting, kept me thinking and left room for imagination. But, I would like to know what happens next and what happened before, even though you did summarize both pretty well.

Posted 11 Years Ago


I should have known, I should have realised that a Prince like - realized

I wasn't stupid, I knew that it was - comma should be a colon

wed to a woman of my calibre.- caliber

It was supposed to be me, he said it - colon not a comma

each going back to there own comfortable house - there should be their
Until all that is left in the courtyard are the few fallen decorations that littler the ground, wrinkled and crumpled from being repeatedly trampled underfoot. - fragment

this was very good and entertaining to read :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

For your spelling you misspelled these words I believe "realised" and "calibre" which are spelled "realized" and "caliber" and as for your grammar and punctuations their are a few adjustments that you may want to look back on. Now as a reader of your writing it was interesting and sad. I've been reading a lot twisted fairy tales lately and yours was an interesting one. You did a good job we most now by now in the real world happy ever after can exist forever. Well done.

Posted 12 Years Ago


love it
sometimes we wish to believe in something, but ultimately reality will set in and remind us that fairytale endings do not exist. I love how you twisted around a fairytale to get this point across. thanks for the read. :)


Posted 13 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
a
wow very interesting i must say. You gave an entire unique version of a fairytale that was cliche. Great job

Posted 13 Years Ago


this is an interesting read. its give a a whole new twist to such a classic fairy tale.
your description and imagry is wonderful. :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


Captivating to read.

Posted 13 Years Ago


What a different perspective can do to a story...
Not only is this a creative, fresh take on the story, but it's well-written and descriptive. Great Job!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love your take on the 'beyond the tale' of Cinderella. Brings reality to a much loved bedtime story, matures it and thrusts it at the adults who had read that story growing up in our happy ignorance

Posted 13 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1963 Views
12 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on September 16, 2010
Last Updated on April 3, 2013
Tags: Twisted, Fairytale, Cinderella, tragic, Nobility, Wedding, Broken, Heart, Love, Marriage, Prince

Author

Treo LeGigeo
Treo LeGigeo

Sydney, NSW, Australia



About
I'm from Australia, so some people may find that I spell things differently. I love writing and have had a couple of publications of short stories and novellas under a pseudonym. I started .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Milagro Milagro

A Story by Treo LeGigeo