Love Was The Answer

Love Was The Answer

A Chapter by Tristan McLucas
"

There is nothing more beautiful than a child waking her parents' up for Father's Day.

"

The clock struck eight o'clock in the early sunrise, and the weather outside appeared to be rather dull, which was no surprise for the British climate. Amelia only hoped it would brighten up through the day, since she wanted her fathers' to treat her to a nice picnic, seeing as Jamie mentioned it a few weeks back, mentioning it to his husband, Matthew, unless Amelia was just eavesdropping.

Placing his palms gently against the hand which rested upon his bare chest lightly, knowing that his husband had today to spend with his family, even if it was extra pay to work during Father's Day but seeing as Matthew received a lecture about today, he could care less about the money. Neither men went to sleep until two in the morning, one kept the other awake by telling all sorts of stories, especially the one when Amelia first started playschool.

"Good morning, dear..." Jamie whispered, opening his eyelids ever so gently, checking the time upon his alarm clock, quite surprised. "You know I was hoping to wake up at, like, eleven or something."

"How lazy..." Matthew muttered under his breath, a soft chuckle escaping his lips moments after.

The moment he turned to face his lover, Jamie jolted with surprise, seeing his daughter upon the flowery duvet, practically nudged between the two. Her elbows were resting upon the covers whilst her palms were against her cheeks, her lips wearing a bold grin of amusement. She was lying on her stomach, her nightwear half way up her legs, though just under her knees.

"...Morning daddies!" Amelia chimed.

"Oh! Morning, little miss..." Jamie cackled in response to the other, a wide beam curling upon his rims. "Did you know Amelia was here, Matthew?"

"No, not at all..."

Propping his elbow upon the pillow, his palm pressing against his third temple as he eyed his lover with a slight glare, "Really, Matthew?" Jamie asked, raising a blonde brow of curiosity. "I hope she never heard our conversation..."

Seeing as the two men were parted from one another, Jamie on the left and Matthew on the right side of the double bed, Amelia practically hidden between the two, she decided to take full advantage of the situation, and quickly shifted her form beneath the duvet with her fathers', her head resting upon the two pillows as she shot glimpses from left to right, from Jamie to Matthew.

Jamie let out a slight 'tut', rolling his emerald green hues somewhat as his gaze finally rested upon his daughter who rested between them. "Aren't you tired, Amelia?" Jamie asked, only to watch the girl shake her head with excitement.

"Of course not, daddy, it's Father's Day!"

Although their attention soon fell upon the man at the other end of the bed, a groan slipping from his lips, checking the web browser on his mobile phone. "...The internet's gone."

"What? But I paid the bill last weekend!" Jamie complained. "Have they cut us off, again? Or is the cable just unplugged?"

"Having no internet means it's time to spend with family!" Amelia commented.

"Yeah... Amelia unplugged it again."

Changing the subject unexpectedly, Jamie hoisted his torso from the mattress. "Is there anything you're hoping to do today, Amelia?"

"Can we go out?" She asked.

"When and if the weather decides to cheer up, we can head out and have that picnic you wanted, yeah?" Jamie said, encouraging his daughter to cackle with excitement.

"...Finally!" Amelia cheered.

"But first we need to have breakfast, get ready, and then�"" Before he was about to continue, Matthew decided to interrupt.

"And check Facebook."

"Will you be coming too, daddy?" Amelia asked, turning her gaze towards Matthew.

"Well yeah, Jamie wouldn't want me to stay here."

"That's good! Daddy will be coming as well!" Jamie uttered shortly, teasingly.

Amelia merely giggled with amusement, clapping the palms of her hands together repeatedly, though after four claps she decided to stop. Even though Amelia was almost twelve years of age, she still loved to be treated like a little girl, seeing as she had the fear of growing apart from her parents, she loved being around them nonetheless, especially Jamie.

Placing a gentle kiss onto his daughter's forehead very lightly, before planting a 'goodbye' kiss onto his husband's lips quite passionately, inhaling the calm scent of his lover. Amelia never minded her fathers' affection for each other, she never cared if they expressed it, and it made her happy to know that her parents loved each other, sharing their love with passion, like any other couple, whether they were gay or heterosexual.

"Right, I guess I should start on breakfast." Jamie said, slipping off the mattress with ease and onto his feet, adjusting his gown enough to cover his partially exposed chest.

"Can we have cake?" Amelia asked politely, her crimson hues staring up at Jamie.

"...Cake, for breakfast?" Jamie paused for a moment.

Shaking his head lightly, Matthew turned to face the other direction, facing the small coffee table beside him as well as the open window which rested ahead, which was actually double doors which led to the porch outside, he merely chuckled with amusement, not the only one who found it humorous.

"W-What's so funny about that?" Amelia frowned slightly, though her smile soon widened into a wide beam once more. "Please, daddy! Can you bake those small... cakes, the ones with�""

"Do you mean cupcakes?" Matthew interrupted once again, "Is that what you're on about?"

Amelia nodded, looking towards the male who rested beside her, before casting yet another gaze towards Jamie once more. "...Y-Yeah! But the ones with those oats you put in them!"

"Oh! Of course, sweetie..."

Before Jamie approached the doorway of the bedroom, Matthew hoisted his torso just gently and yet in a quick motion, whilst brushing his fingertips through his dark, wax tresses, shooting a glimpse towards his lover once more. "Would you like any help at all, dear?"

"Why don't you spend that time with our daughter? I'm sure I can manage the cakes myself."

"I was only asking." The man grunted.

"I will be quick!" Jamie chimed with excitement, exiting the bedroom doorway almost immediately. Perhaps he just wanted some time for himself? Or perhaps he just wanted to leave his daughter and husband alone to bond with one another?

Amelia sat up, both hands gripping onto the very ends of the duvet, covering the front of her nightwear quite cutely. The girl watched the other walk away into the hallway and walk downstairs peacefully, not only missing him already but also wondering how her bond with Matthew will turn out. The man usually worked night hours and every time he returned from work he just wanted to sleep until the evening, and Jamie always wanted Amelia to have early nights when school was in the morning. Matthew and Amelia barely connected as much.

"What do you wanna do, little one?" Matthew asked, a small smile along his lips as he slanted his head to the side somewhat, crimson orbs looking directly towards the other with a warm gaze.

"Play I spy?" Amelia shrugged.

"Why I sp�"" Remembering what Jamie said about spending time with Amelia, Matthew merely closed his eyelids, letting out a calm sigh. Of course, he wanted to be a good father, but it was trying which was somehow difficult for him, but he promised Jamie that he would try his best no matter what. "All right, you go first, princess." Smiling somewhat, watching his daughter's lips beam with pure excitement.

"I spy with my little eye something beginning with E!"

"...Earring?"

Amelia shook her head lightly, cackling softly.

"Uh... ear?" Matthew asked, "Your ears, or my ears?"

"No, Enya!"

"Where even is she?" He narrowed his eyelids somewhat. "Amelia... I thought we were guessing what's in the room, not the house..."

"Treehouse to be more specific," Amelia commented in response to the other, her index fingertip pointing in the direction of the doorway. "Enya's right there by the door!"

Casting a glimpse towards the said direction, noticing the cat washing her paw, Enya sat on the top of the staircase. The cat must have appeared from Amelia's bedroom, after all Enya likes to sleep on the girl's bed, probably feeling like a princess with the see-through curtain which enclosed it, decorated with white glitter and pink fabric.

"But she's in the hallway, not by the door..."

"Daddy, it's your turn!" Purposely changing the subject to avoid arguments, she knew Matthew never wanted to have a lecture from Jamie again.

"...Fine." Matthew grunted, "I spy with my little eye, something beginning with... A?"

"Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! Is it Air Freshener?"

"No, it's you." His lips curled into a wide smile towards the other, gently.

"But doesn't that begin with a Y?"

"...Y as in you, A as in Amelia."

"I finally popped the tray into the oven!" Jamie cackled, approaching the bedroom doorway in gentle footsteps, quick and yet light. He smiled as soon as he noticed the two conversing, getting along, he knew Matthew could do it, even if he did find parenting quite difficult.

"Hey, Jamie..." Casting a warm gaze towards his lover once more, "How long do you think they will take to cook?"

"Hopefully half-an-hour, that's how long they were last time."

"Well, would you like to play with us?" He asked, his smile still remaining.

Drawing much closer towards his husband's side of the bed, taking a seat onto the edge, sitting beside Matthew, and facing the two with a gentle gawp.

"We're playing I spy, daddy!"

"Oh, okay. I suppose it can kill some time, was it your idea to play it, Amelia?"

Watching the girl nod playfully, giving the answer Jamie was hoping for, which really made the man smile. His daughter always made him happy for just being herself, the cheery little miss she was, even if Matthew was an a*s to her at times. Amelia soon inched closer towards her parents, a wide beam proving that she was truly happy, happy to be a part of this family.

"You can have the next go, if you want!"

Slanting his head towards the side somewhat, eyeing the other warmly and yet lovingly, before shooting a gaze towards his husband once more, his smile still stuck to his lips. He eventually nodded in agreement, taking the offer as an opportunity to bond with his small family, even if there was only half-an-hour to spare before the cakes were ready.

"Um..." Casting glimpses here and there, finding an object to pick as his volunteer, looking towards the cat, the window, the vase filled with many different colour roses, and then towards his family once more, taking at least a minute to choose something. "I spy with my little eye something beginning with... L?"

"...Lips?" Matthew guessed, "Because I know you're guilty of having such kissable ones, sweet, plump, and... pink?" He made an attempt to flirt, even at the wrong time.

"Matthew... our daughter's here..." Jamie stated shyly, looking off to the side in slight embarrassment.

"Couples do it all the time, daddy." Amelia commented, "I don't care, it just proves you both have a love that is pure." Looking from either man, left to right, from Matthew to Jamie once more, "I know that kids are supposed to cringe at their parents for showing affection for each other, but I... I like seeing mine express that!"

Even though Amelia was normally the childish spirit, she knew that deep down she was an accepting person, not caring at all for her parent's orientation because she knew it never defined who they were as human beings. The girl was raised in a loving household, her parents specifically taught her to love, and that is what she learnt, what she kept in her heart since day one. Love was the answer, not hate. No matter the creed, the person's preference in gender identity, or even appearance.

"Where did you learn to say that, little one?"

"From you..." Amelia smiled with contentment.

Placing his palm upon her full head of hair just gently, stroking the many crimson strands with his fingertips, a nervous beam now along his lips. "You're so... bright, Amelia." Jamie said. "You are right."

"I'm glad that you're my parents." Amelia smiled brightly. "But what was the word for L, daddy?"

"It was love." Jamie sniggered lightly, a faint crimson blush beginning to dust his features just gently.



© 2016 Tristan McLucas


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

177 Views
Added on March 16, 2016
Last Updated on March 16, 2016
Tags: father's day, original work, personal work, literature, cupcakes, morning


Author

Tristan McLucas
Tristan McLucas

Worthing, West Sussex, United Kingdom



About
Tristan McLucas, otherwise known as Terisutaen for fan-works. I take pride in writing flash fiction literature, and also short stories. The top grand genres I write about commonly vary between gay & l.. more..

Writing
Euphoria Euphoria

A Chapter by Tristan McLucas