Being Rational Can Only Get You So Far...

Being Rational Can Only Get You So Far...

A Chapter by Aislinn Gryffin ((Ashes))

     i had grabbed all the canned goods from the pantry and put them in two large yellow recycling bins in the passenger seat floorboard of Kimber, one on top of the other. i stopped by a WalMart about a mile from my house, sat in the parking lot for a couple minutes writing a note after i got what i needed, then headed to Uncle Mike's. Uncle Mike was a childhood friend of Dawn's and was the closest thing we had to family. He owned a mechanic and body shop on the outskirts of town and i knew he'd cover for me. Mike did work on Kimber for me whenever necessary, and never charged me anything. He was working on changing the headgasket on a Toyota Camry when i got there.

 

     He wiped the grime off his hands and grinned when he saw me.

     "Hey, stranger," he said, hugging me. "What's up???" i shrugged, trying to keep my mind clear.

     "Nothing much, just wondered if you had any friends out of town that would do some work on Kimber for me??? i'm going on a trip and need to be gone by tonight. i'll be going through Crestdam County," i explained, so i wouldn't hurt his feelings. Crestdam County was north of here and i was going to go through it, so it wasn't really a lie.

     "No problem, Little Bit. What do you need done???"

     "Paint job. Maybe an oil change."

     "Okay, lemme make a call." He disappeared into the back office. One of the best things about Uncle Mike was he didn't ask any questions. i looked around and he came back after about five minutes. He handed me a card for his friend Danny in Southcove.

     "Danny'll handle it. No charge. He owes me," Uncle Mike said. i told him thanks, talked for a few minutes, then left. Before i left, i discreetly slipped the envelope with the note in it out of my pocket and into the toolbox by the door. The note explained everything.

 

     After leaving Uncle Mike's, i drove out of town. i got to a gas station about a quarter of a mile down the interstate and parked. i grabbed scissors from the glove compartment and carried my WalMart bag inside. The bathroom was a single stall and the door locked. The station was empty and it was old; no security cameras.

 

     An hour later i walked out of the bathroom with dark brown, short hair. i had stuffed the bag into the trash can. i filled up Kimber's gas tank and left town officially. i exited the interstate at Lynchburg and was on a back road when i had to pull over. Tears were making the road blurry.

 

     Being rational can only get you so far i guess...

 

     After a long time, i could start driving again. i headed to a pay phone and called Artyem to explain. i got the answering machine and didn't leave a message. i stopped by a McDonald's and grabbed some food before heading back onto the interstate. Two hours later, i was in Southcove, at Danny's shop. i vaguely remembered meeting him two years ago, when he visited Uncle Mike. i guess he remembered me too, because he commented on my hair. He had the same policy as Uncle Mike. if you didn't tell him, he didn't ask. i hoped once Uncle Mike had read the note, he would call Danny and make sure he didnt' tell anyone about seeing me.

 

     Danny loaned me his spare truck and told me i'd probably be here a week or so. i didnt' much like that, but i figured i'd have a better chance this way. They wouldn't be looking for a green and white van, and it wouldn't cross their minds that i'd do this. Danny also said i could sleep in the apartment he usually rented out, which was over his garage at home. i thanked him and said i'd go on and head over there. i was tired. He nodded.

 

     i stopped at another pay phone on the way there and called Artyem again. He answered this time. i told him what was going on and that i was fine. He wanted to know where i was. He promised not to tell anyone except Lena, but i hesitated. Then i told him i was in Southcove, but not exactly where. When he pressed the matter, i told him bye and hung up. i felt bad, but i didn't want to be caught and brought back.



© 2010 Aislinn Gryffin ((Ashes))


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

she's definitely getting away if she chopped off her hair without question.

Posted 13 Years Ago


To THE iNFECTiON: identity, because Marie dies in the Supremacy. Btw, did you know The Bourne identity was based off of a novel???

Posted 13 Years Ago


nice, really nice. i like how you added in the cutting of the hair.. reminded me of part of the bourne identity.. or supremacy...

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

194 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 7, 2010
Last Updated on July 27, 2010