Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Treasure
"

This is the prologue. Will Willie have the guts to leave Grant?

"

Prologue

 

The thing that made Willie want to leave was the very thing that had kept her still for so many years. She wanted to be there for Grant. God had plans for this man and Willie didn’t want to miss a second of them unfolding once they’d started.

       “Do you think we should go with pink or lavender flowers?”

       Willie’s gaze was stayed on Grant, yet, she didn’t hear his question. He sat across from her in midnight blue silk pajama bottoms and a bare chest. Willie couldn’t focus. Why did they have to be so comfortable with each other? Didn’t he understand what staring at his toned body did to her - each and every time?

       “Willie!” Grant called a bit louder, “Pink or Lavender?”

       Grant Jackson was her best friend. He had been since the sixth grade. He stood six feet two inches and carried his two hundred and thirty pounds in an athletic build. He had always been her personal body guard. In school the boys feared to even sit next to her.

       “Willie! Are you sick? What’s up with you?”

       She didn’t want to leave him, but she had to. Willie could no longer stand around while he dated every female but her. Was she not special enough? Wasn’t she the one there when he was ill or when he sprained or fractured something? Didn’t she find ways to cheer him up after the team had lost a game? Wasn’t she the only one to stand behind him when he decided not to play pro basketball? She didn’t care if he played basketball or if he pushed a broom? She was the one who actually loved his tall, sexy behind?

 Ahhh!

       It frustrated her that none of that mattered. He was oblivious to the obvious. Besides, Grant wasn’t attracted her. He liked the glamorous and “fashion inclined”. Then, after a few dates and some sex, he moved on to the next. Willie couldn’t continue to listen to his weekly escapades and not show any emotion. Fourteen years worth of stories had been enough. She loved him. What Willie felt for Grant was way pass a middle school crush - she was tired.

       “That’s it Lee-Lee.” Grant reached to retrieve his cell phone. He gave voice to the numbers he began dialing. “Nine, one…”

       “No Grant! I’m okay.” Hearing the familiar numbers had snapped Willie out of her daze.

       Grant slowly closed his phone. His eyes glued to her for a few seconds before speaking. “Willie, what is wrong with you?”

       “There’s nothing wrong,” Willie lied, “I was just lost in thought that’s all.” She swallowed hard, consciously building courage. How was she going to go through with this? You don’t have a choice Ms. Simon. Stay and continue to live in torment or leave and have a fighting chance to get over this… this... whatever this is.

       “That must have been one heck of a thought. You were just talking to me now you crying and your hands are shaking.  I haven’t seen you like this since Michael Burgess broke up with you in ninth grade,” Grant’s attempt to make Willie smile was unsuccessful.

       “Whoa, am I crying?” She hadn’t realized. Willie wiped at her cheeks for the evidence that what Grant said was true. She was; she was actually crying.

       “Uh Yeah. You tellin’ me you didn’t know. I thought you were sick.” Grant grabbed some tissues from the Kleenex box on the table next to his black leather recliner. The chair was his favorite. It was a Christmas gift from Willie three years prior.

       Grant reached over to dab at her eyes. Willie snatched the tissue from his hand.

       “Thanks. But - I’m okay.” She couldn’t take him being that close to her. He smelled of Black Polo Cologne. She knew because it was also a gift from her. She’d brought it for his twenty- seventh birthday two months ago. She hadn’t known what to get until she walked into Sears and caught a whiff of the cologne the cashier had been wearing. “I’ll take whatever that is you’re wearing,” she told him. The young clerk smiled. “Follow me,” he said.

       Lord, have mercy on me. I have gotta get out of here. This man is smothering my senses.

 

 

       Grant had never seen Willie this emotional. And though he, over the years, remembered owning many tear stained shirts from her crying, a little, on his shoulder, she now seemed so distant. If he wasn’t mistaken, she acted as if she didn’t want him to touch her.

       What was troubling her and why didn’t she want to tell him. Willie had never kept a secret from him before. She was his best friend and vice versa. He would have gone to extreme measures to keep her safe, and he had. Michael Burgess’ broken jaw was only a minor thing compared to what he would do if someone ever hurt her again. He, on purpose had all the boys afraid to approach her. She was precious; a precious treasure for sure.

       She was holding inside something serious. It had to be. She came in to discuss plans for his Nana Fae’s 75th birthday celebration and the next thing he knew, Willie had zoned out.  

       Ever since they were young, her crying sent his heart into frenzy. He loved this woman. He loved her, sometimes, more than he loved himself. All he wanted to do was kiss every last one of those tears away, but Grant was careful to maintain his brotherly manner. Willie could never know of his feelings for her. As much as he wanted her, he didn’t trust himself with her heart. He had tried his best all these years to keep her heart in tact and he wouldn’t be the one to rip it apart.

       Don’t you know how much I love you Lee-Lee and how it makes me crazy seeing you cry. He wanted to hold her but thought better of it considering the way she yanked those tissues out of his hands.

       She looked so beautiful, even in faded blue jeans, a blue t-shirt, with her locks pulled back and no make-up- which she never wore anyway. She was all that to him, but too precious to handle.

       No, he could never tell Willie that the degree of his love for her was off the thermometer. She knew too much about his life. She thought him to be the world’s biggest dog. She had called him such on many occasions. He could never make her understand that the reason he’d never settled was because none of the women were her equal. No. She didn’t deserve nor was she interested in being with him.

       “Willie, can I get you anything?” Grant’s tone had changed to one of concern. But it wasn’t just concern behind his words; whatever it was made Willie look up at him. Her face was drenched. That fact only made Grant want to kiss her even more. Get it together Grant. He scolded himself for the thought.

       Grant had a strange sensation. He couldn’t explain the odd feeling that just shook him with that quick glance she’d given. Something wasn’t right. He knew it without a doubt now. It was past just some simple work stress or man trouble this time. But he had to play it cool; she would tell him when she was ready. Willie was not the type you pushed.

       What is wrong with you Willie? Please let me in.

 

 

       Willie wondered what was behind Grant’s voice change. She had never seen him look so concerned. She saw something different in his eyes. Something that she’d hoped was love for her. The kind of love a man has for a woman he would marry. But it couldn’t be that. Grant had made his decision once again and chosen Tonia Morris. That had been the last hook up she would witness.

       Willie stood up. She grabbed her London Falls from the end table to the left of where she sat.

       Willie faced Grant to speak. But again, words had escaped her. She had an agenda and standing here – remembering, was not making it any easier. She just stood there on legs that threatened to let her down at any moment.  

       “Hey! Where you going Lee-Lee? You got a date or something?” Grant joked; the look in his eyes back to his normal brotherly glance.

       Was the earlier look she saw just her imagination? It was just your hope ruling over you again. Just tell him already.  “Grant,” Willie felt as if she would choke, “I’ve- got to go.”

       “Where? We haven’t finished the party plans.”

       “I know. But, I have to go.” Willie eyes began to sting. The tears were on backup.

       “Well, when are you going to be available to finish them? You know I can’t plan a gathering by myself. That is not my forte and you know it.”

       Willie looked into the hazel eyes of her friend. Those eyes made her heart melt. Snap out of it Willie Michele Simon. Willie coached herself. She had to say it. She had to say good-bye.

       “You just tell me when baby girl and I’ll be ready. And-,” Grant paused for effect,

“I won’t even delve deeper into why you were spazzing out so bad tonight.”

       Willie looked down at the floor. “Grant you know I’ll always remember what a great friend you’ve been to me. You were the only boy who never pushed up on me. You protected me and I’m grateful. You’ve always been just like-,” Willie’s tears came back in full force, “a brother to me. Not just my best friend. She felt the wetness cascade down her cheeks like a waterfall. The mention of the dreaded word, brother, had cut her. She didn’t want a brother in Grant.

       Willie’s emotions were pulling her over. Her shoulders slumped. She was losing it. She had to hurry.

       Grant stood. “Willie, what is going on? You are acting weird. What’s up with you, girl?”

       She knew he wouldn’t want her to leave. He may not love her on the level she wanted him to, but he did care a great deal for her as his friend- a sister. They’d been through hell and back together. Now she had to go before she ruined that beautiful friendship by declaring her feelings. She had to protect their friendship. Or, was it her heart she was protecting? Willie straightened her back. “Grant we won’t be finishing the plans together because I won’t here.”

       “Well, how long will you be gone? And what you mean you won’t be here. You never miss Nana’s parties.”

       Grant was right. Willie loved Nana as if she were her own grandmother. She had already spoken to her about the plans she’d made. Nana Fae was a wise woman. Willie still remembered her last words. “Running ain’t neva done nothing but make ya legs stronga. Love is what it is chile. Ya can’t hide from it, but sometimes da good Lord have to let us run til we’s tired. Dare’s always a lesson to be learned. Maybe you’s got a lesson to learn. So… go on chile. When God gets ready for ya, He’ll bring ya back rather you like it or not.” Willie didn’t quite get the full understanding of Nana’s words. All she knew was that her heart was better off away from Mr. Grant Jackson.     

       “Grant- I’m leaving… for good.”



© 2009 Treasure


Author's Note

Treasure
Holla at me!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hey!

I just finished reading your work and would love to have your permission to publish it on my blog at http://havetales.wordpress.com. Go and check out my blog, it is designed to post daily short stories that one can read in one sitting. If interested, please e-mail me permitting me to post your work at [email protected]. Come and follow me on twitter at http://twitter.com/havetales or stop by my website at http://havetales.weebly.com.

i hope to hear from you soon. If this is just the prologue, I'd love to see the journey!

HaveTales

Posted 13 Years Ago


~*~*~* ((Applauding)) *~*~*~ Wow, Treasure I can't wait to read the rest of your story! I was drawn in by the characters and the story is very interesting indeed. It really left me in suspense....I can hardly wait to see who will confess their love first!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

161 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 27, 2009
Last Updated on March 27, 2009


Author

Treasure
Treasure

GA



About
I am a 27 year old mother of four. I am a God fearing woman who is not ashamed of the gifts He's placed inside of me. I seek truth and total enlightenment- I'm moved by the spirit within me. I am.. more..

Writing
I Know Why I Know Why

A Poem by Treasure


I Am I Am

A Poem by Treasure