Vance

Vance

A Story by Ellie Venice
"

A girl is chosen to serve her government against her own will.

"

The city is so dark at night. Our local government can’t afford street lamps and electricity. They cut a deal with the district government. They would get electricity and the district government would pay for it. In order for our local government to pay them back, they sell their own people to the government officials to become servants.

                In order for them to choose these un-glorified workers, they give the officials a form to fill out. The officials would fill out the form to show what specific aspects they want in their servant. Then the local government would screen people close to the physical descriptions to find out who fit the more mental and personal descriptions best.

                Now for me, I fit the personal description. I always do. I’m fit because I’m a dancer and am attractive because of my parent’s genes. Every year since I turned thirteen (the youngest age a person could become a servant) I have been screened. I try my best to fail the screening, but this year that didn’t happen.

                They brought me to this large building. Then they made me put on a hospital gown and sent me to a room and told me to wait. The room was small and white. There was a white chair and matching ataman in the far corner next to a potted plant. Against the wall there was a bed. It had a pale blue quilt and was hard.

                The door rattled and a man came in. he was wearing a navy blue shirt and silver cuffs. He seemed way too young to be an official. Except, how else would he be able to come in here? Maybe he’s an official’s son.

                He sits down on the ataman and looks at me. He smiles and says, “Hey, I’m Vance. What’s your name?”

                “Aurelia. Most call me Auri.”

                “Auri,” he repeats. “I like it.” He stands and comes to me. “Sit down.” He motions for me to sit on the bed.

                When I sit down he kneels and inspects my legs. He runs his fingers down my inner thighs, sending tingles up my legs. He then looks at my feet, holding them in his hands, one foot at a time.

                “Are you an athlete?” he asks as he rises.

                “A dancer.” He nods.

                “Lie down.” He presses a hand to my stomach and his free one at the middle of my back as I lie down. He goes under the gown and presses his hand against my bare stomach. After a moment he pulls it out.

                “Open,” he says, motioning to my mouth. I open my mouth. He looks in then closes it. He then turns my head from side to side. He runs his hand down my neck, then down my arms. He takes my hands in his and inspects them. He then looks back up at me as I sit up. He nods then drops my hands and leaves.

                About ten minutes late, some guy gives me a dress and heels to change into, without any undergarments at all. As I change, Vance knocks on the door and lets himself in. I quickly fix the hem of my dress and slip into the heels. The golden bronze color of the dress complements my lighter skin. Vance smiles at me and hooks his arm around my waist.

                “Auri,” he says, enjoying the sound of my name on his lips. “How are you?”

                “Fine,” I answer, trying to avoid a conversation but miserably failing.

                “That’s good,” he answers. “How long have you been a dancer?”

                “About ten years.”

                “So…you’re good?”

                “Just because you do something for a long time doesn’t mean you’re good. You can be horrible at something and do it for years and still be the worse.”

                “So you’re bad?” he asks, trying.

                “No, I’m okay. I could be better, could be worse. There’s always room for improvement no matter how good or bad you are at something. More than likely, someone younger, better, and most possibly better looking is doing the exact same thing you thought you were the best at.”

                “What else do you believe?”

                “That our government should go to hell and that I should’ve shoved a rock through my face to avoid this.” He laughs a low laugh.

                “Why do you think that?”

                “Because out government overused all the money so now I have to pick up their slack to only have this happen again next year.”

                “But don’t you stay with me until I, um, uh…”

                “Sell me?” I finish for him. “Yes, technically. Still it doesn’t stop this whole thing from happening again next year.”

                We finally get to the car and he helps me in. he grabs a packet of paper and hands it to me. “This is all the information you need. It explains what I expect from you, when and where you can have your free time, and your general do’s and don’ts. If you have any questions ask me.”

                I sit in silence and read through the ten page packet. According to it, I have to obey Vance’s specific orders first, then the ones written in paper. I have to wear modest clothing unless I’m inside and in private. I can’t say anything about what happens with him. I’m not expected to cook but am free to.

                “Why so many rules?” I’ve never been good with them. I always have a habit of breaking them.

                “To keep you safe,” he answers as he watches me. I sigh in annoyance.

                When we get to his place he shows me my room. He gets my measurements and gives them to someone to buy me clothes. He then leaves me to settle in.

                First, I take a shower. Then I clamber into be catching a five-minute nap that turned into an hour long one. When I wake up, I see some clothes on the chair across from me. I quickly change into them, relishing the comfier clothing. I walk downstairs to see him sitting down on the couch, shirtless. He’s surfing the TV channels when he sees me.

                He smiles, “Come sit.” He pats the spot next to him. “What do you want to watch?”

                “I don’t know. I never really was able to watch TV at home, with the limited electricity and all.”

                He nods understanding. “How about we find you a favorite show?”

                We spend the night going through the channels and getting to know each other better. He is an official’s son but, he is part of the government itself.

© 2016 Ellie Venice


Author's Note

Ellie Venice
Writing block-share your opinion and tips.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Are you going to write more of this? I would really like to read more. Great writing!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Ellie Venice

7 Years Ago

No I'm not going to finish it mostly because I don't like it. Thank you for the kind review. :)
Rachel

7 Years Ago

No problem! Thanks for replying. ☺
Oh and you gave me a idea so thanks!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

175 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on October 28, 2016
Last Updated on October 28, 2016
Tags: Vance, girl, Auri, romance, servant

Author

Ellie Venice
Ellie Venice

Roanoke, VA



About
I am a young writer and still am in grade school. I am in need of some feedback from people who aren't biased because they know me. Most of my stuff is crap but I like to write and have other people r.. more..

Writing
Naturally Naturally

A Story by Ellie Venice