What is Art?

What is Art?

A Poem by Blackheart

What is art?

Is it when you pick up the brush and smear all your creativity on the canvas?

Is it when you play with colours as you try to reproduce on a blank sheet the things enraging on your mind?

Is it when you pour down your feelings at 2 in the morning because the only thing standing between them and you is a piece of paper and a pen?

Are you creating art when you share them with the paper because there is no one else?

Is it the slashes you make on your wrists with the blade and watch the liquid flow slowly as you drop into oblivion?

Is it art when in the middle of a cold night, when you have given up on your life and a blank piece of paper lies in front of you?

Is that piece of paper a work of art?

I don’t know.
I don’t understand art.

© 2015 Blackheart


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Perhaps 'art' is that which elevates or at least challenges the viewer, to look again? Perhaps 'great' art has a beauty that lingers on, a timeless quality?

Not sure that slashing the wrists is meant to be taking as art, a cry for attention and help, perhaps?

A poem that raises questions - thanks for sharing.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Blackheart

8 Years Ago

Life is mundane, sometimes monotonous to us. Creating art is kind of an escape strategy from the rea.. read more
Solar

8 Years Ago

a twilight zone.. was just reading this ....'In art and dream may you proceed with abandon. In life .. read more
Blackheart

8 Years Ago

Golden words I must say. And true to the core.



Reviews

Love that searching your heart and finding new answers to what art means to you. I feel that ones art and creativity is like any relationship. You have ups and downs. You have to work hard to keep the fire going. Sometimes your heart is beating fast, your pulse is racing and your mind is full of ideas . Other times, you question why your in this relationship at all. Wonderfully written . Keep up the good fight, this relationship is worth it.

Posted 7 Years Ago


I don't understand art either and i canr exactly explain it but I know art is beautiful, it has the ability to portray a person's emotions to the fullest... its something that you can't help but fall in love with....great piece...

Posted 8 Years Ago


Blackheart

8 Years Ago

Indeed. What you said is absolutely true. :)
For me 'art' is creating something that is an expression of emotions, impression and an imagination.

Good writing, I enjoyed the poem.

Armin. ....

Posted 8 Years Ago


Blackheart

8 Years Ago

Beautiful interpretation. Indeed, art has many forms and this is certainly one of them. Thank you fo.. read more
Art is what you make out of it.
And you have expressed a range of emotions through very passionate set of questions.

If these questions bother you, and you want to find souls who've written about similar themes, I'd recommend you to read E.H.Gombrich's 'Meditations on a Hobby Horse', Walter Benjamin's 'The work of art in the age of mechanical reproduction', and W.J.T.Mitchell's 'Picture Theory' to explore such themes with greater conviction.

And if you don't want to read any of these, you're fine. :)

Looking forward to your other writings,
Best,
M.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Blackheart

8 Years Ago

Thank you so very much for reading and reviewing this and a more ginormous thank you to you for reco.. read more
This comment has been deleted by the poster.
thought provoking...art is individual...like you, like me...great poem

Posted 8 Years Ago


Blackheart

8 Years Ago

Indeed. thank you so much for your kind words. :)
Perhaps 'art' is that which elevates or at least challenges the viewer, to look again? Perhaps 'great' art has a beauty that lingers on, a timeless quality?

Not sure that slashing the wrists is meant to be taking as art, a cry for attention and help, perhaps?

A poem that raises questions - thanks for sharing.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Blackheart

8 Years Ago

Life is mundane, sometimes monotonous to us. Creating art is kind of an escape strategy from the rea.. read more
Solar

8 Years Ago

a twilight zone.. was just reading this ....'In art and dream may you proceed with abandon. In life .. read more
Blackheart

8 Years Ago

Golden words I must say. And true to the core.
well I am sure people who are sending their dying wish do consider it their last form of art. Is art a piece of ones heart? I guess I don't understand it if it isn't, because I don't know who gets to define it. It is a pitty there is so much shared of the heart that others don't see...it goes unnoticed, and therefore the heart feels invisible, and maybe that's part of the reason why one feels the need to slash ones wrists.

Maybe I overanalyze art...maybe we all do!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Blackheart

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much mam. It's a privilege to get such inspiring comments from you. Glad you liked my w.. read more
jesserose99

8 Years Ago

Thank you for discussing your work like this, it makes it such a rich experience for the reader. I .. read more
Blackheart

8 Years Ago

Hahaha. The pleasure is all mine. And yes, I do strive to be an artist and create. A long way to go .. read more
Modern art is a mystery to many. Reminds me of an article i read the other day. A lady got stabbed in an art gallery in China but no one turned a hair because they thought it was an art performance...

Posted 8 Years Ago


Blackheart

8 Years Ago

The very meaning of art is contradictory. And modern art? Even taking selfies is considered an art n.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

436 Views
8 Reviews
Added on December 9, 2015
Last Updated on December 9, 2015
Tags: art, life, colours, dark poetry

Author

Blackheart
Blackheart

Tezpur, India



About
Trying to understand the meaning of life and everything around by using words and creating something unique out of them. A heavy metal fan. Quite weird. Ambivert. Read/follow my blog at WordPress: .. more..

Writing
My ashes My ashes

A Story by Blackheart