A different life (part 1)

A different life (part 1)

A Story by West Coast
"

the life of two roommates in college

"

The fading yellow light flickered above the bus stop. The light signal across the street blinked red. The night was moonless and particularly cold for this time of year. Black trees loomed in the darkness and a light breeze rustled their leaves. Andy sat alone at the bus stop. Her bare arms wrapped around her body, trying to hold in the warmth, her mouth still tasted bitter from vomiting. She shivered occasionally, silent tears streamed down her cheeks. It was too early for the bus and it was too late to hitchhike. No one was awake, not at 2 am. There was a glow further down the road, a car’s headlights. It pulled up next to the curb and idled. She got up, wiping the tears from her face, and got in the vehicle. The heater ran at full capacity, making the air inside the car thick and a bit uncomfortable. The girl driving was in sweatpants and a Fleet Foxes t-shirt, her hair was damp and pulled up into a bun. Her eyes were magnified slightly in her glasses; she hated wearing them except when she was driving, even then she only wore them at night. Seeing her here, in her sweatpants and glasses, a concerned look on her face, Andy could feel her chest knotting up.

“Do you want to talk about it?” Jillian asked her, she already could guess what had happened. Andy clutched her into a tight embrace and sobbed. She was surprised, this reaction was unexpected. Jillian had only heard Andy cry once before, and that was late at night in their dorm room when she thought she was asleep. Andy pulled away, holding Jillian’s hand. “Thanks for getting me.” Jillian squeezed her hand and pulled the car out of the bus stop. “If you ever want to talk, I’m here. Okay?” Andy nodded and rested her head on her lap where she continued to cry silently. Jillian drove them both back to the campus.

Inside the dorm room Andy pulled off her shorts and climbed into Jillian’s bed. Jillian placed her glasses on the table and climbed into her bed and wrapped her arms around Andy, holding her till she fell asleep. Jillian kissed her forehead and brushed her hair from her face and shut her eyes waiting for sleep. They didn't wake till mid-morning; the cafeteria would already be closed to breakfast. Jillian carefully climbed out of bed so as not to wake her sleeping friend. Andy stirred. “Please don’t go.” She mumbled, half asleep. “It’s okay.” Jillian knelt down at the edge of the bed and took her hand. “I’m just going to run down to the coffee shop to get us breakfast. Go back to sleep. I’ll be back before you know it.” Andy hugged her tightly and curled herself back up in her covers. Jillian left a glass of water by the bed and quietly crept out into the hall. 

© 2013 West Coast


Author's Note

West Coast
hope you like it!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

171 Views
Added on May 29, 2013
Last Updated on July 23, 2013
Tags: teen, dating, college, life, love, lgbt

Author

West Coast
West Coast

San Francisco, CA



About
I'm a teen writer. I love writing, let it be fiction, science fiction, adventure, romance, tragedy. I'm also a movie junky (that is why my picture is from Moonrise Kingdom) more..

Writing
The Dancer The Dancer

A Story by West Coast


Darkness Darkness

A Poem by West Coast