Chp 5: Robin Driftmark

Chp 5: Robin Driftmark

A Chapter by Dripping Chocolate Madness

   The trio came to the ocean, and could go no further. Jangus knew better, though. The little woman had something up her sleeve.

   "Ah! Here we are, yes? You must be tired, you poor thing." There was genuine concern in her voice.

   "Yeah, those bags are fookin heavy! How'd you even carry those by yourself?" Jangus asked in disbelief, as he unburdened himself.

   "Not you. Jackass." She began to straighten Bug's clothes, and wipe the dirt from her face, using a spitted cloth. "Poor girl. We'll get you a proper meal and a nice hot bath, how does that sound?" Bug nodded eagerly. "Good, good. Now, then." She flicked her wrist in the direction of her luggage, and it began to float in the air. Nimbly, it moved toward her at a brisk pace.

  "You little fookin'..." Jangus couldn't help but chuckle in his exhausted state. He dropped to the ground, sitting with his knees drawn up, buried his head in his hands and began to laugh.

   Marza cocked her head at him, as she smiled. "Problem, Mister Feldspar?" She asked condescendingly.

   "No, ma'am. No. Definitely not." Jangus chuckled a few more times, and met the creatures black eyes with his own. He was defeated, he was exhausted, he was sore, sunburnt, and hungry. And he was surprised to find that despite all that, he was happy. He felt a strange satisfaction that he hadn't felt in all his years of working for The OSR, or The Shroud.

   "Mmmm." Marza hummed at him like a lover admiring her partner after coitus. "Very good. Very good. I think I might even let you join us inside. You can cook dinner for us. How would you like that? Maybe meet Mister Driftmark? What do you think, Sophia? Have you had enough of Mister Feldspar, yet?"

   "Awww he's ok. Jay is one of the good guys… even though he's mean." Bug smiled teasingly at Jangus.

   "One of the good guys, is he? I wonder." She tapped her lip with her forefinger. "Yes, I agree. Whatever he was in the recent past…" her black eyes flashed at Jangus "... He's been very helpful lately. Yes, I think it would be best to keep my eye on you. For now."

   Jangus sighed in relief, as Marza turned her back on him to face the incoming tide. She raised her arms high in the air, and the world around them began to tremble and quake. Directly in front of her the water parted in a perfect square, exposing a dark staircase that echoed the sounds of the waves from within. Marza lowered her hands as she walked towards the entrance, her baggage floating lightly in the air behind her.

   "Come, now Sophia! You're expected!" She called over her shoulder, and the pair seemingly descended into the waves. Jangus took up the rest of their gear and followed along in haste. The doors began to shut before he had cleared the stairs, and he had to duck to avoid being crushed by the massive metal portal.

   Inside The Promissory was dark and humid, and it stank of marine waste. They walked forward in the dimmest of light, their path only barely illuminated by some kind of glowing lichen that lined the metal walls. After twenty yards or so they reached the end of the hallway, and a silvery door with a strange insignia carved on its face: A white circle intersected by three vertical lines. Crossed through its horizontal axis, a writhing snake wove itself in and out of each of the lines. Marza traced the circumference of the circle, and rapped the individual lines with a knuckle: one, two, three. 

   The door opened from the center, the circle becoming a hole and the hole expanding outward with a shooooofffffff. The next room was much nicer, and brightly lit. The light shot through the hole as the door opened, and Jangus was forced to squint while his eyes readjusted. He could see it was well furnished, and bustling with life. People walked to and fro, carrying folders full of papers, trays of delicious looking meat, strange mechanical devices, and all manner of interesting objects Jangus could not recognize. They walked past all of these people, and followed Marza to a hallway, where she opened a plain wooden door to reveal a homey and welcoming apartment. A fire already blazed in the hearth, and the warm smell of cinnamon tickled their noses. The furniture was much too small for Jangus' comfort, but perfect for the ladies.

   "You'll find the bath in the far room down the hall. It should already be drawn and warm. Hurry now, child. Before Mister Feldspar ruins it with his…" she turned to look at Jangus "... Incredible stench." Again, he thought he caught a wink, but it was almost impossible to tell. Bug ran at a full sprint to the bath and soon the noises of splashing water could be heard in the living room. A knock came on the door and Marza moved to open it, unsurprised.

   "Robin! Such a delight to see you! Please, do come in. The child is bathing, but there's someone I would like you to meet first." She withdrew from the doorway, and in walked a man. Or, not a man… a tall creature, taller than any man Jangus had ever met by a full head. He grinned openly, his large teeth giving him the visage of some grotesquely carved winter squash. He clasped two hands in front of him, resting on his ample belly, and two more behind his back.

   "Thank you, Marza. I trust you fared well, yes? And this would be the…" whatever the last word was intended to be, he left it unsaid.

   "Well… Ex. But yes, that's him. He's been very helpful, Robin... Take that for what it's worth." The woman took her hair out of its pigtails, and shook it down to spill around her face. "And us being so short staffed, I thought…"

   "In-deed." Robin and Marza shared a similar cadence, and used the same expressions, Jangus noted. "Yes, a wonderful idea. In theory. But can he truly be trusted?" Jangus sat there uncomfortably, feeling much like an animal in a zoo. He could feel the critical eye of Robin. It seemed to bore straight into his soul.

   "He carried my luggage, Robin. The whole way. And he only complained once. Well, twice. But we'll give him a pass on the second, since he took it so well." Her smile felt like a barracuda's to him, now. One toying with a potential meal while it decided if it's hungry or not.

   Robin's eyebrows raised, impressed. "All 6? That's quite a feat, young man. Quite a feat in-deed! Tell me, Stoner: Why did you abandon The Shroud, and your partner?"

   "Oh stop it, Robin. You know quite well why he's done what he's done. And you know I wouldn't have brought him if he posed any threat to us." Marza's apparent shift in attitude took Jangus by surprise. He nodded in agreement and thanks.

   "I want to hear him say it, Marza. Hush. Well, Stoner? What of it?" Robin still grinned maniacally. He drummed the fingers of his right hand on his belly.

   "I… I don't know." Jangus replied.

   "You don't know? Forgive me for not believing you. One more time. Why did you abandon the OSR?" Robin leaned forward, his voice dire and serious. A direct contrast to his jackal-like smile.

   "I… she… fook, she was just a kid! I don't want no part of it! I can't do it no more! Hunting people down like… like…" Jangus was at a loss for words. He felt tears fall from his eyes, hot and wet. He looked up at Marza, and was horrified to see Bug standing next to her. Freshly bathed, looking innocent and adorable, fitted in a lovely blue dress that seemed like it had been tailored for her exact measurements. She, too was crying silently.

   "Good, good. Well then, Marza... I'll leave you to it. Send him to me once he's bathed. Gods, the smell…" and with that, Robin exited the room, leaving the three of them standing in awkward silence. "I'll see you tonight at the feast!" His voice called from down the hall, as the door swung shut on its hinges.



© 2020 Dripping Chocolate Madness


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Still enjoying the story. :)
Great imagination.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ana Papaya

3 Years Ago

I get attached to them as a reader. Not so much a writer. My stories are one offs and not nearly as.. read more
Dripping Chocolate Madness

3 Years Ago

Not going to lie...
I have a WIKKID crush on Marza. Tiny little foxy purple b***h... Making m.. read more
Ana Papaya

3 Years Ago

Lol!!! She does seem pretty cool.
:)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

38 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 30, 2020
Last Updated on July 30, 2020


Author

Dripping Chocolate Madness
Dripping Chocolate Madness

Wandering, RI



About
Not a writer, but I do it anyway. I'm also not a chef, musician, masseuse, guidance counselor, philosopher, or survivalist. But again: never stopped me before. I DO, however, happen to be a giant p.. more..

Writing