Oh Death (Chapter Three)

Oh Death (Chapter Three)

A Chapter by TheAllegorist

The humidity was horrendous. Their black Buick sucked in the heat so effectively that the air conditioning could barely keep up. Rick had rolled down his window to stick his head out like some crazed labrador going into heat-shock. His short brown hair allowed him this leniency; Alice couldn't help but envy him as she peered out her drivers side window, occasionally taking a peek at the scenery between watching the deserted road.

Between the city and the surrounding swampland was miles of occasionally refreshed gravel. It layered vehicles in a fine, gritty powder. She knew the grill would be so insect laden that only a power hose and prayer would ever see the metal sheen pulled forth again. As if in time with her thoughts, Rick abruptly yanked his head back inside the car, sputtering and hacking with a vengeance. 

"Mmm," she teased, "protein."

"I think I just swallowed about a dozen mosquitoes," he wheezed, tentatively sticking his head back out to spit. He hastily rolled up his window and huddled in a pose of mock-horror.

"Teach you to stick your tongue out, rover." She flicked her eyes back to the road, listening to the backdrop of the tires rumbling steadily along. "The bugs here are enough to drive anyone crazy. I don't know why you haven't transferred yet, Rick. I've seen your files. You're above and beyond eligible. You've got what it takes for something bigger."

He gave a shrug as he looked out the windshield. Peering out her peripheral, Alice had to admit he wasn't a bad looking fellow. Lean build, pretty tall. There were little crows feet at the corners of his eyes, which pointed out that he smiled much and laughed freely, early formed as they were in his mid-thirties.

"I guess I'm one of those home grown types. Sure, this place has its ills. True of anywhere you go, the good and the bad. But despite that, it's not so bad here. And the people are good people, if a little superstitious. Worth protecting from folks like this sicko we're trying to bring in." He paused, looking over at her. "What about you? I mean look at you. You're like something straight out of Law and Order, supermodel gone investigator. How does a green-eyed redhead from California end up in the a*s-crack of the Mississippi south?"

Alice grinned, casting him a brief, dry look as her hands gently coaxed the steering wheel to turn into the approaching development. "Good job masking the flirting their chief. But I think I'll call a raincheck on that one, if you don't mind." She turned away as he pulled a face, making a mental note to hope he never brought it up again. It was hardly something she was terribly enthused about discussing, least of all with a moderately cute, drawling goofball.

Pushing the shift into park, Alice stared up at the house before her. Old Victorian style faux-towers and a double-door boasting a bronze knocker pulled right out of A Christmas Carol. It was too white in her opinion, too glaring, and the paint made the windows seem weirdly dark and foreboding in contrast. 

Her door opened and she jumped slightly. "Gotcha," Rick said, performing a bow and stretching his hand expansively towards the wrap-around porch. "Ladies first."

Alice slugged him in the shoulder as she got out and walked forward, ignoring the way he hammed it up by holding his arm and moaning in pain. The first step gave a soft creak as she climbed up, and she looked over as she heard the rattle of a chain. A little porch swing hung facing the road, rocked by the wind. 

"Teddy loved that thing."

Alice had to restrain a yelp at the sudden words, turning her attention to the woman peering at her through the screen door. Dark circles showed beneath her eyes, which were in turn bloodshot and rimmed with red. Traces of recent tears lingered on her cheeks, and her fingers clutched a flour stained apron tightly. "I like to think that's him, swinging," she continued, her voice whisper-soft. "I can feel him, you know. I just know he's there." Her mournful gaze searched Alice's face. "Have you ever lost someone close to you?"

She found herself speechless at the question. Hot tears stung behind her own eyes as it derailed her thoughts into dangerously emotional territory. Alice struggled, inwardly snapping at herself to get a grip, when she felt a warm hand on her shoulder. Rick's voice came from her left, soothing and compassionate. "Hey, mrs. Mandarin. We're sorry to bother you again, but we need to have a few words. Is your husband home?"

The woman dusted her fingers off before swinging the door open, stepping back to let then inside. "Shoes off please. I just swept this morning. And no. He's got work. Says it helps him take his mind off...what happened."

Rick was all understanding, subtly steering Alice into the house before releasing his grip. He made a comical show of hopping on one foot, then the other, bringing a smile to both her and mrs. Marandin's faces. "I'll get some tea going," the latter said, wandering off in the direction of the kitchen.

When she was gone, Rick murmured, "So I'll be taking you up on that raincheck later." Without waiting for her to reply, he strode into the living room, and after a moment's hesitation, she followed.


© 2014 TheAllegorist


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

148 Views
Added on April 25, 2014
Last Updated on April 25, 2014