Loose Ends

Loose Ends

A Chapter by Mikael Malmberg
"

To each his own, for everyone has his or her needs.

"
Previous Version
This is a previous version of Loose Ends.



The children began to lay down on their bedrolls, Michael amongst the first. The others around him began to doze off, but Michael found himself unable to do so. His mind was now racing with new possibilities, new threats, and new mysteries. He wanted to see what was behind that door. They could adventure in there, for sure. Anna had talked about monsters, but Michael knew better: there were no monsters. Henry said so, and Henry was always right about things. But Anna was right, too. Maybe it meant that they were both unsure?


Suddenly Michael felt a cold tug on his back, pulling him backwards. He was about to give a cry, but then he finally recognized Nick's familiar, slender fingers squeezing his shoulder.


"Shh," Nick whispered into his ear.


"What?" Michael whispered back, turning around in his bedroll. Nick was leaning his elbows against the pillow, holding a secretive smile on his seven-year old cheeks.


"You think we'll hear more tomorrow?" he asked quietly.


"Probably."


"I'm sure she will tell us."


They were silent awhile. Michael looked like he wanted to ask something, but was holding it back for some reason.


"Do you think there really are monsters in there?" he finally asked.


"Who knows. Maybe are, maybe aren't. It'd be cool to see one, though..."


Michael's eyes lit up in excitement. "Yes, that would be very cool."


Anna found Hailey talking with James by one of the three large tables, sharing glances at the cutlery and plates Henry had put out to remind everybody of dinner. That was a special dinner; the children had eaten earlier, for alcohol does not suit little children. In Anna's opinion, alcohol didn't suit anybody: it was utter folly to drink. It shows weakness of character and faith. Anna waited patiently for her turn to talk with Hailey, listening in to their conversation with half an ear.


"We can't go upstairs any longer," James complained. "Everything that wasn't bolted into the floor will be gone: that means pretty much everything, including the television. Do you think the manor's going to end up as a major heap of rubbish, Hailey? The storm's already arrived, as far as I know. It sounds like it, at least."


"Well, as far as the manor is concerned, I doubt that it will just collapse like you described. Although I have heard no such sounds, James. Are you sure you heard anything?"


Anna glanced up at James. He seemed doubtful now, but at whom? At her, or at himself?


"Yes," he answered after some thinking, "I am completely sure that I heard the sounds. Howling wind, the distant creaking of wood, loud knocks and cracks now and then. As though the space around us has become... alive."


He shuddered visibly.


"Ah... I'm sorry... it must be the cold..." He trailed off mumbling like that, wrapping and un-wrapping his hands around himself. Anna looked after him, almost frightened. James was usually a very reliable man. What had made him so unstable?

"Oh, I didn't notice you. Sorry." Hailey smiled, obviously expecting an answer to her unheard question. She seemed tired, but that was no wonder at all; taking in the storm, the arguments, and her constant worry over the estate, she was coping extremely well.


"I just thought to ask about that door. Is it locked? And do you have the key?"

"The key's in the lock, Anna. I doubt the kids really want to go outside. You shouldn't fret over it so much. Relax, take it in a stride; these things make up your life, Anna, and you should allow yourself a few moments occasionally."

"We can't be sure, Hailey. But what is more important is that we cannot give in to temptation. Temptation is a game, Hailey! It's a wicked game that has plagued us ever since Adam and Eve were cast out of..."


"Stop." Hailey commanded quietly, a weary effort at best. Anna stopped, now looking gloomily at the person she knew was her friend. Perhaps some just weren't as strong as she was: perhaps some had given in to the temptation. Would she ever see the greater wisdom and come to believe in what was right? But nevertheless they were silent awhile. Anna awaited for Hailey to continue, as that clearly wasn't all she had to say.


"I think I must sleep now," Hailey said finally. "Rest, that is." And she walked away from Anna, probably in search of a decent book to read. Hailey was, despite her background, very fond of literature. It was not an interest both of the women shared. Anna had never been much of a book person, and she never enjoyed reading anything. She cringed to admit it, but even the Bible was rather boring to her, being full of religious blabber and cheesy stories. She had never read it from cover to cover. So she made up her own rules, based on the christian values, respecting them in her own way but still making a difference. Those were her own rules, and frankly, not something she would reveal lightly.


"Alright," came Anna's response. "I'll just go to sleep too, I guess." And so she did.

But not every adult was headed for bed. There were some who rather enjoyed staying awake through the night instead of sleeping till the morning, to watch and guard those in deep slumber, or perhaps simply to have some time to themselves. Day-time, when you were required all the social norms, perhaps didn't fit these people. Tonight, however, only one person had resolved to stay up. He lumbered about aimlessly, occasionally taking sips from his pocket flask, trying to figure it all out in his head. James' head had not been made for thinking, but he was nevertheless struggling to force it all make sense. The noise, the voices in his head, the storm and the manor: he couldn't explain why, but it was as though he was supposed to see something connecting all of these. As if there were layers within layers that needed to be unraveled before he could decipher each meaning.



© 2012 Mikael Malmberg


Author's Note

Mikael Malmberg
Preview version, as promised!

This is 3rd-person description from the childrens' perspective. I have decided to continue the story with Anna and her unanswered question.



Reviews

Yay, final version finished. I like the changes made. It makes the catacombs seem more threatening.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Mikael Malmberg

11 Years Ago

Thanks!

Promise to write follow-up as quickly as possible.
I finally got a chance to read this in its entirety. :)

Nice job, the ending seems to be building up to some threat.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


Intriguing! I like the sudden use of 3rd person here... gives me a more in depth look at Michael's character.
Please let me know when you finish up this chapter.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


Mikael Malmberg

11 Years Ago

I shall let you know.
I can't wait for the whole thing! I love it already! :)

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

32 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 6, 2012
Last Updated on December 23, 2012


Author

Mikael Malmberg
Mikael Malmberg

Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland



About
I write on-and-off, but writing is a permanent interest for me. There's never going to be a time when I won't be interested in the art of writing, the arrangement of words, their style and rhythm and .. more..

Writing
Free Free

A Story by Mikael Malmberg



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Anna Anna

A Chapter by Mikael Malmberg


Hailey Hailey

A Chapter by Mikael Malmberg