Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by VincentRayne

Year XX30. It’s been about month since I set out on my quest for revenge. The world isn’t what it used to be. It was kind, quiet, and peaceful but now… It’s a hell on Earth. There is no clear distinction between good and bad people anymore. Now to live life is to survive no matter what the cost. If someone’s life is standing between you and what you are living for then it’s resorted to the situation of either killing or being killed. To kill is to live in this world. Even if that means taking out an entire race. That’s what happened to me. I was one of the lucky ones. I was in the right place at the right time but for my people I can’t say that they were as fortunate. I don’t know what happened and who was responsible but I promise that I they will pay severely for what they did.

Dawn couldn’t help but shiver from the intense heat of the dessert filled continent. Her cloak protected her from the Sun’s harmful rays but not its passionate heat. The animal she was riding resembled a large type of ostrich that is used to high temperatures but even now seemed to be weakening due to the horrid weather. The animal let out a tired gurgled grunt and Dawn petted it’s head gently.

“Okay, okay.” Dawn tapped both sides of the bird’s body with her heels and it stopped and lowered itself letting Dawn get off. She reached into one of several pouches hanging on the sides of the animal and pulled out a water container. “The is the rest of the water I have so no more until we get to the next town.” She opened the container and slowly poured the remainder of the water into the ostrich’s mouth. It was more important that she keep the animal hydrated because it covered a lot more ground than she could alone. After emptying the container Dawn hoped back onto to the ostrich. “We should almost be there. Just a little bit farther.”

I hope.

After another couple of hours of traveling a shape appeared on the horizon. It had to be the place that She was looking for. Dawn sighed with relief and couldn’t wait until she could rest in a descent air conditioned room on a warm cot.

The Dynequiums. Dawn thought. I just hope they have the answers I’m looking for.

When She was closer to the city Dawn noticed that the area was a barren wasteland. The very few buildings that were in view were barely standing. They seemed to be replaced with different tents of all sizes. Before entering the place Dawn noticed several broken down tanks and other military artillery mostly covered by the dessert sands implying that this area was most likely a battle field some time ago.

There was an area that held several of the same creatures as the one Dawn rode on as well as horses. It looked like a place where she could leave her ostrich. She tapped its sides and the animal lowered itself. After getting off Dawn took out a leash from one of the hanging satchels. When tying the leash around a bar next to several other ostriches a burly man walked up.

“Excuse me, ma’am, but if yer going to leave that ostrich ‘ere then yer gonna ‘ave to pay a fine. We can keep ‘em fed and watered but that’s extra.” Dawn pulled a wallet out of her pocket.

“How much?” The man scratched at his head.

“Well, seein’ as you ‘ave a mighty fine pet I’m assumin’ you got some money.” Dawn’s eyebrow twitched.

“Then you assuming wrong. The ostrich was a gift so I’m afraid you’re going to have to charge me the usual.” Dawn’s voice was dripping with irritation and the man held up his hands.

“Pardon me, ma’am, I’m sorry. It’s just it’s ‘ard to make a livin’ ‘ere. I’ll tell you what; you just pay the one payment of leaving this fella with me and its food and water are free.” Dawn looked at the man hesitantly. She was weary of deals that were too good to be true because ninety percent of the time they were but at the moment Dawn didn’t have any other options.

“Fine. How much?”

“Just thirty cents.” Dawn almost gasped in surprise but then quickly regained herself. Where she came from thirty cents was just change you could find on the streets so of course she was carrying much more than that but she wasn’t going to tell this man for he might take advantage of the situation.

“Well, seeing that you were being very nice and me feeling very generous I feel as if I understand your situation. So saying that,” Dawn pulled out a single dollar bill. “do you take paper money?” The man’s eyes widened.

“W-why yes, ma’am.” Dawn handed the man the money and smiled. She turned to head for the entrance into the city.

“In return I want you to take extra good care of my friend, okay?” Dawn called over her shoulder.

“You got it!” The man called back.

Upon entering the front area Dawn could see how busy the city was. The place was filled with open markets of people selling what looked like junk but apparently a lot of the people here thought them as treasures. There was so much activity going on that it was no wonder that no one noticed Dawn as she entered.

The Dynequiums were known as being consisted of people from all different clans. Rogues, outcast, or simply people that didn’t like their old way of life gathered here if they could find it and survive the journey.

Dawn walked into another person’s shoulder. The streets were so crowded that it was hard to easily maneuver through the people. Dawn then suddenly sensed that there was something wrong and felt her pocket. Her wallet was gone.

That little--

Dawn quickly spun around and grabbed hold of the thief’s shoulder, spinning them around. The pickpocket was only a girl that seemed to be no older than seventeen.

“Give me back my wallet you little thief!” The girl quickly slapped at Dawn’s arm and by her own surprise involuntarily let go of the culprit’s shoulder. The bandit slid under Dawn’s legs and was on the run. Dawn spun back around and gave pursuit constantly pushing people aside while the girl seemed to easily brush past everyone. The crowd gradually thinned as the two ran deeper into the city and soon there was no one inside at all. They ran into the part of the city where the few buildings that were standing were blocking the sun and it became harder to see the pickpocket because of their all black clothing. The area was free from any other people.

Dawn was caught off guard when the girl suddenly turned around and threw a punch. Dawn managed to dodge the strike and grabbed the thief’s arm, swinging her over the shoulder and into the ground. The girl quickly recovered and did a leg sweep taking Dawn’s legs from under her. The pickpocket jumped in the air and moments later smashed the ground that Dawn was on before rolling away. After quickly getting up Dawn evaded several more kicks. The girl threw a punch but was grabbed by Dawn who then gave the teenager good blow to the stomach. Dawn kicked the young woman’s calves, knocking her off balance. Dawn placed a hand under the girl’s back, swinging her other arm around, slammed the inside of her wrist against the thief’s upper chest. The powerful blow sent the girl crashing into the ground. Dawn grabbed the teenager the collar of her black shirt, pulling the girl up.

“What makes you think you can go around stealing other’s belongings?” The pickpocket didn’t speak but merely stared into Dawns eyes with an intense glare. Her eyes were made up of a silver color pupil and iris with a thing black outline which isn’t something Dawn hadn’t encountered before. “Nothing to say?” The girl then smiled.

“You were alone. There was no one else with you.” Dawn felt her anger rise and raised a fist.

“Hey!” A couple of people that were probably guards of the area ran up. “Put the girl down.”

“Of course.” Dawn said with a slight smirk and the girl’s own smile disappeared. Dawn gave the girl a good quick punch hitting the thief to the ground one last time, unconscious. The two guards unsheathed their swords. “I’m the victim here.” Dawn said as she searched the girl’s sleeveless thin vest and pulled out her stolen wallet. “Here.” Dawn placed the wallet on the ground and kicked it to the guards. “You’ll find my I.D. and papers inside. This girl pick pocketed me.” One of the guards picked up the wallet and flipped through it. After looking at the I.D. they sheathed their swords and tossed the wallet back to Dawn.

“Are you a resident here?” One of the men asked.

“Obviously not. Look at the way she is dressed. She must have just traveled here.” The second guard turned to Dawn.

“I came here looking for the leader of this city.” Dawn said.

“What is your business with him? Has he requested you?” The first guard asked.

“No, but I believe that he will want to see me.” The guards stay silent for a moment.

“Fine then.” The second guard said. “We’ll take you to see him.”

“What about her?” Dawn nods her head towards the unconscious girl. One of the men walks to the teenager and picks her up in his arms.

“For the time being we’ll keep a good eye on her until she rouses. She will then be questioned and punished accordingly.” Dawn nodded her head.

“Good. Stupid brat.”

The guards escort Dawn to a large building that seemed mostly intact. One guard continued to lead Dawn further into the building while the other one, with the girl, walked off to the holding quarters. When The guard opened the door a largely built man, storming out of the building, bumped into Dawn.

“Watch it!” Dawn said angrily but the man kept walking as if he didn’t nearly knock someone over. Remembering what happened from a similar event made Dawn’s hand immediately go to her pocket. Fortunately, the wallet was still there. “Are people here always so disrespectful?” Dawn asked as she and the guard walked into the building.

“I don’t really know. I was just recruited but there are a lot of different people here. Each person is taught differently on how to act to it’s just a game of chance to come up to the right person with the right manners.” After a little while more of turning corridors and walking in silence the two arrive at big double doors. “This is it. Through these doors is the throne room. No know that you can only be spoken when it requires you to, show respect, and all that other stuff that your supposed to do when in the presence of very important people.”

“Got it.” The guard pushed open the doors and Dawn stepped into a large chamber that seemed more like a counsel area than a throne room. The room was made up of a large area in the middle and all around it were steps that went up and lined desk that filled in.

On the opposite side of the room was a row of people. All of them looking different from the others. The person that stood out above others was a large burly man that sat in the center. The man wore battle scars all along his exposes arms and even a couple on his face but in his eyes held the type of knowledge that Dawn was sure only a well-traveled person could come across.

“You are from a clan that has been wiped out just recently.” Dawn’s heart skips a beat and she nods even though the sentence was more of a statement than a question. “Your clothing and your weapon is proof enough for anyone with a decently trained eye can see. I am the leader of the Dynequiums. We were formed by a small group of people welcoming anyone who didn’t like their clans way of life and thus we have grown rapidly into what you see today.” A middle aged man with sleek backed blonde hair stands.

“My child. It is good to see that yet another one of us has been blessed with such fortune as to escape the crises that has befallen our people.” Dawn looks at the man with shock. The man was from the same clan as her own. Until now Dawn thought she was the only one left alive. “I understand that this is sudden but not everyone was present at the time of the crises. Some were away for their own needs and, as myself, were away on business. We were a shocked to despair when we returned to a destroyed home.” An elderly man with a white long beard and hair stood.

“My people, too, are slowly being erased from existence. I don’t understand what the meaning of this is but I believe that there is some foul play at hand here. My people have only fascination with energy technology and mechanics as your people were also interested in development in forms of crystal technology.”

“This leads us to believe that the Ivinia clan could be next if this pattern continues. They are knowledgeable in the areas of any education as well as their well-trained psychics.”

“Do we have any idea as to who is possibly doing this?” Dawn asked.

“These are no simple task that are being performed.” The Dynequium leader replied. “This is either a very powerful enemy or large underground group. (Theo’s clan) are a group of people that reside in the sky and mostly keep to themselves. They don’t care too much for what happens here on the lower lands.

“(Michael’s clan) are a group of ceremonial people and don’t involve any outsiders. In a sense they are like the (Theo’s clan) in that sense. They don’t want to be bothered. And then again they don’t like the ’barbaric’ ways of (Michael’s clan) either and rather live life in a ’civilized’ manner.

“Dawn, you want to know who or what killed your people or at least how they might have done it, correct?”

“Yes, I do.” The Dynequium leader nodded his head slowly.

“Then I suggest you go to where the Ivinia clan resides. They are known to have some of the best minds for what you are looking for.” A man on the leader’s right stood.

“I can give you directions to where we live. Upon arriving make sure the first thing you do is find my sister, Aurelia. She will be able to help you from there. I will also give you a letter to give to her so that you will have to give her only a minimal explanation. Good luck on your journey.”

Dawn left immediately after receiving a map and a letter from the councilman and found that dusk was approaching soon. She set up camp and started a fire after tying down her ostrich. Her mind raced through the events of what happened earlier that day. Dawn didn’t know what it was but the girl from earlier was different than the other people there.

Her eye color was unnatural for one thing. Dawn thought to herself but there was something else. Dawn found herself much to angry at the girl when she answered. It just struck a chord and pushed the right button all entirely too easily. Dawn normally had more control over her emotions than that. To add to weird feelings it turns out that Dawn was the only person left of her kind. She felt more relieved than anything else. She also had a lead that she was currently following and to add to that she wasn’t the only one tracking down these people that were responsible for the eradication of most of her kind.

Dawn looked at the bird and saw that it had already fallen asleep and she had figured it was about time for her to sleep as well. After all, she wanted to get to the Ivinia city as quickly as possible. The quicker she got there the quicker her answers would be found.



© 2010 VincentRayne


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

308 Views
Added on October 31, 2010
Last Updated on October 31, 2010


Author

VincentRayne
VincentRayne

Los Angeles, CA



About
I'm pretty quiet and keep to myself most of the time but I don't mind expressing myself through creativity. I love drawing, writing, playing the guitar, bass, violin, and piano. I play video games as .. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by VincentRayne


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by VincentRayne