The Forgotten Angel

The Forgotten Angel

A Story by VintagePixie
"

My first attempt at a child abuse story...

"
The blind of the small window on the white two storey house slammed down fast as yelling ensued. Screams, small screams, innocent screams could be heard echoing through the streets. After what seemed an eternity, everything was silent. The frogs could be heard singing, calling to one another peacefully on the pond up the road. The last of the birds could be heard calling good night to each other from everywhere. The setting sun cast a beautiful soft orange glow down the main peaceful street of the small town and over the small white two storey houses that looked near identical to each other. Nothing stirred on the quiet streets as families ate supper and children did homework, Suddenly, a door opened fast, then slammed shut. A small girl who looked to be about 9 years old ran from the house. Hot tears streamed down her cheeks as she held a small blue sweater over her chest, clutching it tightly. She tripped and fell, landing on her stomach roughly. She paused, laying there before sitting up quickly as the door to the small white house opened fast. A tall, angry looking man stood in the doorway, looking out. 
“SAGE!” he yelled angrily, stepping out onto the top stair. “Damn kid…” he muttered before going back into the house and slamming the door. The lock on the door snapped in place. The young girl, Sage ran down the quiet main street, sobbing and still clutching her blue sweater. She kept running up the road until she came to the pond. She stopped beside the quiet, peaceful pond and stared into the murky water. Her reflection showed her pain. A large cut marked the skin over her cheek bone, small drops of blood previously dripping down her cheek had been smudged by her sweater. She wiped tears away and looked at her reflection once again. A bruise was starting to form around her left eye. She gently placed a hand over her eye as tears began their journey down her cheeks once again. She gulped, then looked around as the sun was barely visible on the horizon. All was growing darker, shadows seemed to be growing larger by the second. She shivered, then stood and walked back toward her house. She stared at the ground the whole way, keeping her small blue sweater clutched to her chest tightly once again. She reached her house and sighed as she bravely started up the small front stairway to the door. She tried the handle, but found it was locked. She wiped tears away again, then quietly knocked on the door. Stomping could be heard before the door unlocked and swung open. A petite woman wearing a bright red mini skirt topped by a black halter top stood holding a cigarette in the doorway. 
"What do you want?” she growled, taking a long puff of the cigarette. She leaned on the doorpost, staring down at Sage. Sage looked up at the woman. 
“Can I come in momma?” she asked quietly. The woman stared hard at the little girl before stepping aside, pushing the door open. 
“Get in here ya little brat” she exclaimed as Sage slowly walked into the house. The woman kicked at Sage’s back, shoving her into the house hard. “I said get in here!” she nearly yelled, slamming the door behind the small girl. “Better get your little a*s up to your room and stay there.. Your poppa ain’t too happy with you!” she shook her head. “And gimme that damn sweater, it’s filthy!” She snagged the sweater from Sage and tossed it into the small dirty bathroom. Sage watched with large sad eyes before taking a deep breath. 
“Momma, you don’t have to work tonight, do you?” she asked softly, nearly whispering. The woman sighed. 
“I gotta get you money for your damn lunches, now don’t I?” she retorted. Sage stared at the woman with big eyes, large tears welling up. 
“MOMMA!!!! You can’t leave me alone with poppa!!!” she wailed. “He’ll hurt me aga…”
Before she could finish her sentence, the woman slapped Sage across the face. 
“SHUT UP!” she yelled. “Your poppa works hard everyday to keep ya in this fine lil house… I'm not gonna have you talkin’ s**t about him like that! He’s your poppa, you should be happy he does what he can for you!!” 
Sage buried her face in her hands. 
“But Momma….!” she tried again. The woman grabbed Sage’s shoulder and shoved her roughly toward the stairs. 
“Get up to your room and into bed right now!” she yelled as Sage fell roughly against the first stair. She coughed a few times before getting up fast and running up to her room. She slammed the door and propped a chair under the handle, making it unable to open from the outside. She flopped down onto her bed and sobbed loudly. 

After a few hours, Sage awoke to a quiet knocking on her window. She slowly opened her eyes and looked at the clock. 4:00am. She groaned slightly and went to stand up, but stopped fast. She gasped in pain and laid back down for a moment, holding her chest. She took a deep breath and stood up slowly. She went over to her window and carefully pulled the blinds away. Another young girl, not much older then Sage herself stood on the small bit of roof outside the window. Sage frowned slightly, not recognizing the girl. She opened the window as the girl scrambled in. 
“Who… are you?” Sage asked, whispering as quietly as she could. The other girl smiled and sat down on the bed. 
“I’m Angelica.. I go to school with you” she whispered back. “I.. I saw you earlier this evening, running from home.. You were crying. Are you alright?”
Sage looked down at the floor and quickly moved a hand to her cheek. 
“I’m fine” she answered quickly. Angelica stood and took Sage’s hand, moving it from her eye. 
“How’d you get that bruise on your eye?” she asked, concerned. Sage looked at Angelica, then away. 
“I fell on the stairs” she lied, not wanting to share her pain with this stranger. Angelica nodded. 
“Okay…” she answered. “I wanted to make sure you were okay, but I didn’t want your parents to see me…” she said as she went over to the window. “I’ll see you at school tomorrow?”
Sage forced a smile and nodded. 
“See you tomorrow” she answered. Angelica grinned and climbed out the window and down the drain pipe. She ran out of the yard and down the street a little ways before disappearing into a yard. Sage sighed, the smile gone from her face once more. She turned and headed for her door, moving the chair quietly. She opened the door and carefully walked down the small hallway to the stairs. She paused and listened for a moment before quietly, carefully going down the stairs. She peeked into the living room. Her father was reclined in his big black recliner, the TV on full blast. Highlights of all the day’s sports blared loudly. Sage tiptoed into the kitchen to see what was left for supper. She opened the fridge gently, thankful her father hadn’t replaced the light yet. She pulled a container of pasta out of the fridge and set it on the counter. She opened it and stared inside. Barely enough for a meal. She sighed. 
“It’ll have to do” she whispered to herself as her stomach growled loudly. She looked to the living room fast. When she saw her father was still asleep, she continued what she was doing. She put the container into the microwave and set it for a minute. She crossed her tiny fingers, hoping, praying the microwave wouldn’t wake her father up when it beeped. After a minute, when the microwave beeped, the front door opened. Sage froze as her mother stumbled in drunk-like. Sage stayed frozen in spot, hoping her mother would just pass on by her and head to bed. Her hopes were dashed when her mother tiredly stumbled into the kitchen and stared at Sage. Sage stared back with big eyes, not sure of what to do. Her mother collapsed to her knees and looked at Sage, tears in her eyes. 
“Are ya hungry sweet pea?” she asked, wrapping her arms around her daughter. Sage stayed frozen, still not sure of what to do. Her mother looked at her again. 
“Well? Are you?” she squeezed Sage gently, then let her go and stood up. She pulled a cardboard container from her large purse and handed it to Sage. “Here ya go… I thought you might like this. I’m heading to bed, don’t stay up too late” she said, turning and heading upstairs to her bedroom. Sage stared at the cardboard box before realizing what it was. A happy meal from McDonalds. Something she rarely ever had. Sage half smiled and headed up the stairs, leaving the container of pasta in the microwave. She softly shut her door and sat on her bed. She slowly opened the box and looked in at the warm chicken nuggets and fries. A faint smile crossed her face as she gingerly pulled the food out and placed it gently on the bed. She ate hungrily, then laid back and fell asleep with a small smile on her face. 
The next morning, Sage was woken up by a loud pounding on her door. She sat up fast and looked at her clock. I’m late! she thought to herself, jumping up and searching around for her clothes. Before she was fully dressed, the door swung open fast and her father stood in the doorway, staring at his daughter. 
“P-poppa?” Sage muttered softly. 
“You’re not even dressed yet?” Her father yelled angrily, stomping into the room. Sage sank back against the wall, holding a soft fluffy brown sweater in front of her bare body. 
“I-I’m getting dressed poppa” Sage nearly whispered as her father closed the gap between him and his little girl. Her father grabbed her by the shoulder and dragged her out of her room and to the bathroom. He pushed her in, then shut the door behind him. A slapping sound could be heard, followed by the same small innocent screams that had echoed around the night before. After a few minutes, Sage’s father came out of the bathroom and headed straight downstairs and outside. Sage stayed in the bathroom until the sound of her father’s car had left. She sniffled and snuck out of the bathroom quietly. Tears streamed down her face once more as she ran into her room and got dressed quickly After she got dressed, she went downstairs to get ready for school. When she reached the bottom of the stairs, a little tapping at the door sounded. She went over and opened it. There stood Angelica. Sage blinked, then opened the door wider so Angelica could come in. 
“Hey Sage! I thought I’d come over and see if you wanted a ride to school instead of having to walk” she asked happily, pointing over her shoulder at the car sitting outside on the road. “My mom said it would be alright!”
Sage paused, then nodded. 
“Sure, I’d be happy to have a ride to school” she said, hoping Angelica wouldn’t notice the tears in her eyes. Angelica nodded, then frowned. 
“Are you sure you’re alright?” she asked, noticing the tears. Sage nodded. 
“I’m fine.. I’m still in a bit of pain from falling on the stairs” she lied once again, looking at the floor. Angelica shrugged. 
“Ok then” she said. “Well, grab your bag and lets go!”
Sage nodded and opened the fridge fast. She grabbed a piece of lunch meat and scarfed it down hungrily. Then she grabbed her school bag and zipped it shut before heading outside after Angelica. At the end of the day, when Sage got home, she walked up the walkway slowly, not looking forward to opening her door. She sighed and stepped up the front steps and turned the handle on the door. It was locked. She stepped back and frowned, looking up at the door towering over her, then turning around and looking into the driveway. Her father wasn’t home yet, his car wasn’t in the yard. Her mother should have kept the door unlocked. Her mother should have been home. She sighed, sat on the doorstep and pouted.
“Why me?” she muttered, looking around. After a few minutes she got up and started down the walkway. She headed for the small pond and sat on a stump beside it. She stared into the murky water as tears welled up in her eyes. She heard voices, and turned to look at the nearby road. Walking down the sidewalk past the pond was a family of four, laughing happily. The mother was carrying a toddler in her arms, kissing him and hugging him and loving him. Sage sighed deeply and looked at the little girl and her father. The little girl was seated on her father’s shoulders, playfully messing up his hair and laughing. The father was laughing also, making faces and jokes. Sage watched them, then looked in the pond once again. Why can’t I be happy like that? Why can’t I be loved like that? she thought, gently putting a finger into the murky water. She sighed again and stood up. She turned and headed for home. 
When she got there, she noticed her father’s truck in the yard. She looked at the ground as she headed into the house, knowing what was going to happen next. Her father was standing in the kitchen arguing with Sage’s mother. He turned to glare at his little girl. 
“WHERE THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN?” he yelled angrily, grabbing Sage by the shoulder and holding her tightly. She winced, and cried out in pain. 
“Poppa!!! Please, let me go!!” she begged, tears falling down her cheeks. Her mother put a hand to her forehead and walked into the other room, lighting a cigarette as she did. Sage’s father didn’t let go, but rather held her more tightly. 
“I said, Where the hell have you been??” he yelled louder this time. “Don’t make me repeat myself!!!”
Sage cried out loudly as her father tightened his grip on her tiny shoulder. 
“I’ve been out poppa!!!”
“Where!!!”
“At the pond!!! The door was locked!!! I couldn’t get in and you and momma weren't home!” Sage cried loudly, struggling to get away from her father’s grasp. Her father let go of her shoulder, shoving her backwards roughly against the cupboards. 
“I told you never to go there alone!” he hissed in an angered voice. Sage held her shoulder, crying lightly. 
“I’m sorry poppa” she nearly whispered. Her father was frowning angrily. 
“Go to your room”
Sage looked at her father fast.
“Why poppa?” Her father glared daggers at her. 
“I said, GO!” he kicked at her legs to get her moving. She jumped up and ran up the stairs as fast as she could, tripping over her own feet. She landed on one of the stairs, her cheek against the edge of the stair. Her cheek cut open and blood began oozing out. She quickly put a hand to her face and ran into her room. She slammed the door and looked into the mirror at her cut cheek. She desperately tried to wipe the endless tears away as blood now trickled down her cheek. 
“Why can’t he care.. Even a bit??” she whispered to herself before taking a Kleenex and putting it on her cheek. She winced with the slight pain before sitting on her bed and sighing again.
After a moment, a knock on the door surprised Sage. She gulped and looked at the door as it opened. Her mother entered the room with a band-aid and some rubbing alcohol. She sat down on the bed beside Sage and took the Kleenex from her. 
“Don’t be mad or upset about your father, he’s had a long hard day and he doesn’t need anything else to upset him” her mother said softly, cleaning up Sage’s cheek. Sage stared at her mother in wonder. 
“Momma… why are you being so nice?”
Sage’s mother looked at her daughter before shaking her head. 
“I’m sorry if I’ve been tough on you.. Money’s been tight, and I’ve been a little stressed out. Sage, I DO love you still… just because I’m sometimes rough with you”
Sage nodded, then hugged her mother tightly. Her mother sighed and pushed Sage away from her. 
“No hugs.. I don’t like hugs” she muttered plainly. “Now stay up here, don’t make a sound or your father will be after you” she exclaimed as she got up and left the room. Sage watched her, then looked at the floor again when the door closed. 
“Why can’t I be like the other kids… the normal kids at school” she pouted and started crying. She laid down on her bed, and eventually cried herself to sleep. 
Later that evening, Sage was awakened by yelling. She sat up and listened. Her parents were arguing in the room next to hers. She sighed softly, tears falling down her cheeks once more. She knew what was about to happen. It was the same thing ever since she was old enough to remember. Her parents would argue for about half an hour, then her father would come in, no matter what time it was, and yell at Sage for being a worthless child, then he’d stomp outside, and slam things around in the garage before getting into his car and going to the bar to “cool off”. Sage closed her eyes tightly, trying desperately to block out the yelling and the stomping of her father’s feet down the hallway towards her room. She winced as her door was slammed open and her father came barrelling in. He went over to Sage, slapped her across the face and told her to get up. She obeyed, afraid to know what would happen if she didn’t. He dragged her by the shoulder down the stairs, nearly pulling her arm out of the socket. She cried out as her father’s large strong fingers dug into the skin on her shoulder. He shoved her roughly into the living room where her most prized possession, her stuffed rabbit sat on the chair comfortably. He pointed at it and glared at her. 
“What the hell is that thing doing down here???” he boomed loudly. Before Sage could answer, her father went over and grabbed the stuffed animal. He grabbed it’s head and twisted the neck, ripping the head off the stuffed animal. Sage blinked, her mouth agape in horror. 
“DADDY!!!” she screamed, running over to him and kicking his leg bravely. Large tears were now streaming down her face as she grabbed the ripped remains of her only friend and ran up the stairs. Her father chased her to the stairway before giving up and going outside to his garage. 
Sage ran into her room and dropped down on her knees beside the bed. She laid the ripped remains of her favorite stuffed animal on the bed in front of her and stared down at it, not bothering with the tears streaming down her cheeks. She took a deep breath, trying to calm herself as the door to her room opened slowly.  Her mother peeked her head in and sighed. 
“Are you alright honey?” She asked softly. For once, her mother didn’t smell of beer and cigarettes. For once, her mother’s voice was soft, and caring. For once, Sage could hear the love she so desperately longed for. Sage stared at her mother, unsure of what to do, not knowing whether her mother would snap and hurt her. Her mother came into the room slowly and sat on the edge of Sage’s bed beside the ripped toy. She gently picked it up and held it in her hands as she looked at Sage. She sighed and leaned forward, ruffling Sage’s hair gently before standing and leaving the room with the ripped toy in her hands. Sage watched her, then as the door shut, leaned onto her bed and sobbed. She knew what was going to happen to her toy, she knew where it was going. She sighed and sat down on the bed, her eyes fixated on the floor. 
I wish I wasn’t here.. I wish I wasn’t born. she thought before standing and going to her window. She stared out, seeing other kids playing in the light from the setting sun. Why can’t I be happy like that?

A few nights later, Sage sat outside on the front step. She shivered and rubbed her bare arms, trying to warm them. Her father had locked her out of the house once more, leaving her to sit in the dark, cold air of night in only her small pink flannel nightgown. She looked around but was unable to see anything in the blackness. She shivered once more and huddled close to the door, wishing it would open so she could go into her nice warm bed. Deep down, she knew her wishes and hopes were pathetic, stupid. At least, that’s what poppa had told her. That she was pathetic, and stupid, and that she shouldn’t have hopes and dreams because she wouldn’t live up to them. She sighed and stood up, keeping her hands tightly on her arms. maybe I should run away. Maybe I could go to someone’s house, and they’d adopt me, and I’ll know what love is she smiled softly, briefly as she imagined herself in a happy, loving family. A silent tear worked it’s way down Sage’s cheek slowly. She glanced up at her house, then back down the street, faintly visible through the dark of night. She glanced back up to her house, then turned and stepped off the steps and started off down the walkway. “Goodbye” she whispered as she left her yard and started off down the street, disappearing into the night with nothing but her nightgown. 

The small town was awakened by an ambulance rushing down main street. It stopped in front of a small blue bungalow. The paramedics jumped out, stopping for a brief moment to take in the scene. A small girl lay on the ground in a tiny pink flannel nightgown by the picket fence surrounding the house. The owner of the house, a kind elderly lady stood by the gate, a hand covering her mouth in shock. A policeman was standing near the little girl, simply staring down at her. He shook his head slowly as he glanced at the paramedics, sadness showing in his eyes. He took his hat off, wiped his eyes and took a deep breath before going over to the paramedics. 
“Too late guys… it’s too late” he said softly, glancing back at the child’s body. The paramedics nodded, then went over and gently put the girl’s body on a gurney. 
“We’ll pronounce her at the hospital” one of them said, rolling the gurney back to the ambulance. At the door of the ambulance, they paused, looking at the girl. 
“She doesn't even look 10 yet, what was she doing outside at night?” one medic muttered. The other one shook his head. 
“Maybe this has something to do with it…” he pointed to her arm where a bruise in the shape of a hand was visible. The other medic looked at his partner. 
“You don’t think…”
The second medic turned to the officer. 
“Once we find out who she is, I think you better pay a visit to her parents. Find out where that bruise came from!”
The officer nodded, then turned and went back to the owner of the house to get her statement and more information. The paramedics loaded the girl’s body into the ambulance and headed back for the hospital. 

A few days later, a notice in the newspaper caught Sage’s mother’s eyes. A notice in the obituaries. A death notice. She gasped, then went out to the garage where her husband was working on his car. 
“You killed her, didn’t you!” she exclaimed loudly. Her husband looked at her like she had three heads. 
“What in hell are you talking about??” he asked, standing up and wiping his hands. He took the paper from her, then blinked, shrugged and handed the paper back to his wife. He turned and continued working. His wife moved so she was in front of him. 
“You killed her last night while I was out! Then you hid her, but unfortunately they found her! YOU KILLED HER!!” she screamed, slapping her husband across the face. Large tears poured down her cheeks. “YOU KILLED MY DAUGHTER!!!” she wailed loudly. He turned, about to say something, but was stopped by a police car pulling into the yard. He looked away, annoyance showing in his face. The police officer and his partner came up into the garage and took off their hats. They looked first at the man, then his wife, then the man again. 
“Something you want to tell us sir?” one officer asked, placing his hat back on and crossing his arms. The man shook his head. His wife shook her head also, still sobbing. She turned to the officer and wailed. 
“He killed our daughter” she sputtered out through sobs. The police officer blinked, then looked at his equally astounded partner, then back at the man. 
“Is that true sir?”
“I didn’t lay a hand on her! She got locked outside, I tried to look for her, I couldn’t find her!” he lied through his teeth, his back turned to the officers and his wife. The first officer stepped forward, pulling out a pair of handcuffs. 
“Hands behind your back sir.”
“I told ya! I didn’t do nothing!” he yelled angrily, turning around and facing the officer. His wife left the garage, still sobbing. The second officer followed her out. 
“Mind if I ask ya some questions, ma'am?” he asked softly, helping her to the steps and standing in front of her when she sat down. She nodded. 
“Go ahead..” she said in a soft, teary voice. The officer nodded and pulled out a small tiny notebook and a pen. 
“Was your husband at all abusive toward you or your daughter?”
The woman looked at the officer. 
“Wh.. Why do you ask?”
The officer pulled out a picture of Sage, her skin a soft white/grey colour, making her look like a life-sized porcelain doll. Bruises marked her face and arms, and a large unhealed cut sat on her cheekbone. 
“We found multiple bruises on her arms, and torso. We also found lacerations to her back, did your husband ever beat your daughter with a whip, or a belt?”
Sage’s mother stayed silent, her eyes fixed on the photo of her daughter. Then she looked up at the officer, then began sobbing once again. She nodded quickly, afraid of what was going to happen. The first officer came out of the garage, pushing Sage's father ahead of him. He led him to the car and helped him in before shutting the door. He came over to Sage’s mother and his partner. 
“Ma’am, anything you can tell us about him, or your daughter will be very helpful” he said softly, kneeling down before her. She stopped sobbing long enough to look at him, then she took a deep breath and cleared her throat. 
“He… he would lock her out of the house if she didn’t do what he told her to do. He would.. call her stupid… and blame her for everything.” she said, wiping tears away as best she could. “That-that’s all I can remember right now”
The second officer quickly wrote down what she was saying. The first officer nodded.
“Alright ma’am. Thank you. We’re sorry for your loss.” he said, placing a hand on her shoulder gently. “If there’s anything else, you come and tell us, ok?” 
She nodded, then stood up and went into her house as the officers got back into their cruiser and headed back to the station. 

The day started out bright and sunny. Sage’s mother got up slowly, keeping a tissue with her at all times as her eyes kept spilling tears. She got ready at a slow pace, pulling on a long plain black dress. She looked in the mirror and sighed as she put a black hat with a black lace veil on her head gently. The veil hung loosely over her eyes. She attempted to put make up on, but it ended up running everywhere before she had even left the house. By the time she got to the cemetery, the day had gotten dark, rain clouds threatened to pour down rain. A fitting scene for the events taking place. She stood near a small rectangular hole dug deep into the ground. The reverend started the service. A small graveside service with only friends. That’s what Sage’s mother had requested. Her mother looked around, then at the small casket slowly being lowered into the grave. Tears began spilling over and down her cheeks once more as she thought of her little girl in that casket. 
“I’m sorry.” she whispered as dirt was thrown in on top of the casket, burying it for good. “I’m sorry I couldn’t save you from him.. I’m sorry I helped him break you” she said, her voice a bit louder then a whisper. As she said this, the sun peeked out from behind the clouds. The light fell on a small pot of white roses sitting beside the gravesite. Beside the roses was a small table with Sage’s picture on it also lit up in the sunlight. The picture was facing opposite the sun, making the light shine through. It lit up the picture, making it look like Sage was glowing. Her mother noticed this. Even more tears began to fall as she stared at the what now seemed to be glowing picture. 
“My angel…” she said softly before looking up to the sky. “I love you”

© 2010 VintagePixie


Author's Note

VintagePixie
I'm aware it's very awkwardly written and not really the best. It was a first attempt, un-edited... I will eventually re-write it so it's better. :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

135 Views
Added on October 1, 2010
Last Updated on October 1, 2010

Author

VintagePixie
VintagePixie

Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada



About
I'm Kathy. I love to write anything really. I have a different approach to writing. I let my characters tell me the story they want me to write, and I just let it come out on paper. In fact, it'.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by VintagePixie