Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by VintagePixie

                

                A young man dressed in an all black cloak reached up and placed a small amulet around a young girl’s neck.

                “Madelaine Amadea, your mother requested that you have this. It is very powerful in the wrong hands. Keep it safe.” He said in a strong yet calm voice. The young girl, with tears in her eyes nodded as she stared at the bright royal blue triangular talisman.

                “Thank you Adalricus. I know my mother was very protective of this amulet. You have my word that it will be kept safe with me.”

Adalricus bowed his head politely to Madelaine then turned.

                “Oh Madelaine, the funeral will be tonight when the clock strikes 8. It would be in your best interest to get there on time.”

                “Yes Adalricus. I will be there.” She smiled a soft smile and took a deep breath, looking at the amulet again.

 

                “Where did you get that charm?” a tall pale faced man asked as he walked from the cemetery alongside Madelaine.

                “Adalricus gave it to me as a last request from mother.” She fondled the amulet gently before turning to look up at the man. “Cameron, please come home tonight. Drake misses you... as do I and father.”

Cameron stared at Madelaine, a soft sweet look crossed his face as he placed a hand on her cheek. She jumped and shivered at his touch.

                “Cameron, you are so cold. You MUST come home and warm up!”

                “My dear sister, I would love nothing more than to come home with you but alas, I cannot.” He removed his hand from her warm cheek and stepped back. “I will not lie to you my sister, I have found work. And this work takes me far away from home. I am deeply sorry Madelaine. You will fair well without me though. You are a strong, beautiful young woman, you will be alright without me.” He said, turning to walk into the woods. Madelaine took a step toward him as a sad, worried and frightened look on her face.

                “Cameron...”

                “We will meet again my dear sister. I promise you that. Give my love to father and tell Drake not to fret. That I will return!”

With that, he disappeared into the trees.

 

Six years later...

 

Madelaine laid panting and gasping for breath in her bed. A young blonde haired man sat beside her bed, watching her with a worried expression.

                “Andrew... my love...” she said weakly, reaching for his hand. He grasped her hand gently and leaned over her, looking into her eyes.

                “What is it, Madelaine?”

                “I am not long for this world. My love, I want you to give my precious amulet to our daughter, Clare.”

                “You may give it to her yourself when you are better, my love. You will live.” Andrew said strongly.

                “Andrew, you must give it to her when she is older so she will understand where it has come from.” Madelaine said, tears welling into her eyes. “Please my love!”

                “Madelaine...” Andrew started but stopped as Madelaine began coughing hard. She started to cough up blood and choke. As she did, a tall man with black hair and crimson red eyes entered.

                “Andrew, go fetch the doctor. I will look after her. Hurry!” he said in a smooth, calm voice. Andrew looked at him then nodded, glancing at Madelaine briefly then running from the house toward town. The tall man went over and looked down at Madelaine, placing a gentle hand on her cheek.

                “My dear sister, I told you we would meet again soon.” He whispered, sitting beside her. Madelaine opened her eyes and looked at her brother.

                “Cam... Cameron.” She whispered, gasping for breath.

                “I’m here to help you Madelaine, but you have to be willing to give up your mortal life here...”

Madelaine coughed a few times then looked at Cameron.

                “What are you proposing?” she asked weakly. Cameron leaned closer and stared hard at his sister, his crimson eyes flashing slightly.

                “Madelaine, I am a vampire. I can save you from death, give you eternal life...”

                “I would rather die...” Madelaine whispered. “An evil such as you killed our own mother. I do NOT wish to be one.”

Cameron stood, his eyes staying locked on Madelaine.

                “As you wish. I was merely offering you the chance to watch your daughter grow.... to see her life bloom.” He said quietly, turning away but not leaving. Madelaine stayed silent for a oment then sat up slightly, causing herself to go into a coughing fit.

                “Cameron!” She said, gasping for breath. “Wait...” she coughed harshly before taking a slow deep breath. “My brother...”

He turned and moved back over beside her bed, sitting briefly.

                “I knew you would change your mind.”

                “How did you...?”

Cameron chuckled lightly.

                “You are too easy to read, my sister... is there anything you want to leave specifically for Andrew or Clare or even Drake?”

Madelaine nodded as tears began running down her cheeks.

                “Mother’s amulet... it is to go to Clare when she is old enough to understand its worth.”

She reached into a small closed basket of keepsakes sitting on the floor beside her bed and pulled out a small gold box. Cameron smiled and nodded, taking the small box.

                “I will write a letter to Andrew... explaining that I have taken you away because you have died. I will also explain about the amulet.” He paused and looked at Madelaine, smiling again and showing the tips of his sharp fangs. “You are safe now Madelaine.”

                “Thank you Cameron.” Madelaine said quietly, closing her eyes and laying back as she gasped for breath again. Cameron watched her briefly then quickly scribed a letter to Andrew. He placed it with the small gold box on the bedside table and turned, looking at Madelaine. She had fallen unconscious. He looked at her for a moment then gently picked her up and left the house, running off into the woods with her. 



© 2010 VintagePixie


Author's Note

VintagePixie
Ignore punctuation... blah blah. XD :D

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

137 Views
Added on June 25, 2010
Last Updated on June 25, 2010


Author

VintagePixie
VintagePixie

Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada



About
I'm Kathy. I love to write anything really. I have a different approach to writing. I let my characters tell me the story they want me to write, and I just let it come out on paper. In fact, it'.. more..

Writing