Ashlee - Chapter 1

Ashlee - Chapter 1

A Chapter by Dewella~Vintella

I watched as firemen and police gathered around my house as it was engulfed by flames and smoke. They began hosing down the house as by standards and neighbors joined the crowd asking questions and whispering, but it looked like it was too late.

"Miss, Do you live here?" I turned my head towards the voice and nodded. He was one of the firemen, and his face was smudged with ashes, but I could still see the sympathy in his eyes.

"What’s wrong?" I could barley talk I was so scared, I hadn’t seen my parents around but I figured they had gone to the store like they said, and Mark had left before I did so I knew he wasn’t there.

"Do you know where anyone was when the fire started?" I nodded again and he led me towards the ambulance to sit. At first I couldn’t find my voice and we just sat there in silence; But then he started babbling on about how hard it might be and that he could have an officer get a statement from me latter, but I brushed him off and cleared my thought.

"I woke up early...about nine maybe, to go running. Before I left my brother Mark had gone to a friends so I know he wasn’t there. My parents said they were going to the store and were ready to go by the time I left" He kept his eyes on me not saying a word only nodding.

"I don’t know if they left before it h-happened or not...” My voice faded and tears stung my eyes, it was getting harder to breath. I just wanted to go to sleep and wake up to find it was just a bad dream.

"Roxy!?" I blinked away my tears and saw my brother running towards me in a panic. Despite the horror in his eyes I was still surprised when he embraced me once he reached me.

"I'm okay, I wasn’t in the house" It was only a glimpse but I could have swore I saw tears in his eyes, no way, it had to be my imagination. Mark was a heart-breaker, never been in love and never shown any sign of regret, sympathy, defeat, or another emotion for that matter, kind of guy. He always stood strong and sure of himself, though he had always been a little dopy and too sure of himself. I started thinking about the lives me and my brother have lived together.

I had only just turned sixteen a couple months ago, and Mark was only seventeen but we have lived pretty mature lives. Always there for one another and never too naive. Our parents told us the good and the bad news, never keeping us in the dark. We were involved in their lived as much as they were in ours. Always sticking up for one another and supporting. Involved and protective that what our family was. It hit me hard that I don’t know what any of us would do without one another, we were all so close.

"Roxy?" My brother was staring at me now confused and worried. I didn’t know what to tell him I knew as much as he did, what answer could I give him.

"I don’t know where they are either...” I tried to smile but it probably didn’t turn out to happy, not that I had anything to be happy about.

"Darlings...I saw your parents car leave earlier, they hadn’t come back yet, I'm sure they are just fine." Mrs. Carlin had her most caring smile on, looking me in the eyes and brushing away my tears.

She was like an aunt to us, part of the family, there since we were kids. Babysitting and making us spice cakes. I could trust her with my life and that’s the only reason why I felt better after she left; But sill I couldn't get ride of the tight ache in my chest of not knowing.

"Oh no!" I burst into more tears and Mark started shaking me asking what was wrong.

"..D-daisy...” my cat, and best friend was still in there.

Then I remembered Damen was in here too, Marks Bird. I saw shock on his face, no matter how hard he tried to hide it; I knew he was worried to. Daisy and Damen were as close as Mark and I were. Daisy was small like she was still a kitten, even though I have had her since I was born. Her fur was as soft as the clouds and had a lush kiss of orange all over except for the tips or her ears, paws, and tail were white.

Damen was almost red all over but slightly faded, He sung night and day when he was in the spirit, but you could tell he had a wise knowledge about him like a grown up, while Daisy was the playful one. I cried harder missing them more and more; But then faintly I heard their cries coming from the house. Daisy mewing and Damen singing, both calling for help of direction. I looked up hoping to see them but I only heard their repeated cries getting louder.

"Daisy, Damen!" I jumped up and ran for then house with Mark right behind me. Both of us were shouting their names

"Where are you?!" I was getting worried; I could no longer hear them. But Mark only laughed and let out a sigh in relief.

"Look at that." I looked over to where he was pointing and saw Daisy and Damen side by side unharmed.

I laughed too, seeing Daisy drenched and sulking. She was no doubt going to be in a bad mood, I had left without even telling her and all she got was a good bath by a bunch of strangers in goofy outfits. But it didn’t matter as long as she and Damen were okay.

The four of us sat on the curb crossed the street, watching and waiting for something else to happen when our father’s truck pulled up beside us. Thank goodness they were okay. I thought I could stop worrying but then my dad got out of the truck looking devastated and confused. He rushed to us in a huff and quickly checked us out to make sure we were okay.

"Good you both are fine then...” Daisy mewed in approval and we all laughed, dad stood there for another moment and we all grew wiry again, something wasn’t right; why didn’t my mom get out of the truck?

"Wh-where is your mother...... where’s Susan?" He was in a sudden panic, as well as the rest of us.

Ohmigodohmigodohmigod.

"I thought she went with you.." I said it soft and slowly, making sure of every word.

"No...She wasn’t felling good; she went back to bed..." His words faded and I grew light headed when I watched as he ran and asked anyone if she got out, no one said a word but shook their heads. The last thing I remember was Daisy whimpering and saw my dad drop to his knees. Then there was nothing but darkness...


© 2011 Dewella~Vintella


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

215 Views
Added on July 29, 2011
Last Updated on July 29, 2011


Author

Dewella~Vintella
Dewella~Vintella

Gillette, WY



About
As time has changed, so have I. For a long time I thought I knew who I was and where I belonged, and for a long time I constructed myself to fit inside that mold; But it seems that much like the w.. more..

Writing
Landon Landon

A Chapter by Dewella~Vintella


Dante Dante

A Chapter by Dewella~Vintella