"these" people

"these" people

A Poem by Danielle Asher
"

this was written as my reaction to watching the documentary Farmingville. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in the Immigration issue and hiring halls.

"

 

I can’t imagine being owned or bought

Feeling like a slave being a slave

What does that all mean?

Who do people think they are, believing they can treat other people that way?

 

If you do not follow the rules you are not human

If you do not sign on the dotted line you do not fall fit to be paid

If you are an “alien” you deserve to have your house lit on fire or your face

slashed while you watch your buddies get beaten. 

People are afraid for their daughters because they might get raped

People do not feel “these” people should be invading their town

“Did you think about the people in our community?” they ask.

 

I did not know the men here looking for work were also running around looking for women to rape and pillage then and there on the streets.

And when these men are working hard for their children and wives and mothers I am sure they will stop to think of you when you are honking your horns and screaming out your latest well thought out racial slur.

 

Humanity comes before all else.

We are not animals

These people are more than aliens, illegals, and “those” or “them”

They have names, faces and families

They work hard to keep your foundations steady

Fight for solutions

You are offended by the name racist,

But you do not see with  proper eyes

Open them

Open and allow the love in

Solutions with power for all

 

 

© 2008 Danielle Asher


Author's Note

Danielle Asher
think before you comment... this is not a political article... it's a poem, written from emotions.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Your poetic reaction to the film is a humanitarian one and shows your heart is in the right place. It is fascinating how the language is chaning also...words which are now not acceptable and are obvious racial slurs have been replaced by new words of insult such as 'THOSE people'. The word 'those' is perfectly innocent but when linked with 'people' it changes, chameleon-like, into something very different, carrying a whole layer of implied meanings, mostly negative.

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

stunning write!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I just read in one of Blackbirdsong's poems that Sitting Bull once said, "People do not own the land. The Land owns the people." I firmly believe this. You wrote a brave work well stated and powerful. Many cheers.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

"Well, Americans got nothing better to do, why don't you kick yourself out, your an emigrant too" -The White Stripes.
Thank you for your poem, do you think that people are naturally cruel? It seems to me that inhumanity comes naturally to all of us, what is the remedy?

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

i meant to say a great title .. 'these' people..

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love your writing Danielle.. i see the emotions that watching the program brought out in you ... i feel for these people .. a well done poem and a good message i think..

Chloe
xoxo

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Your poetic reaction to the film is a humanitarian one and shows your heart is in the right place. It is fascinating how the language is chaning also...words which are now not acceptable and are obvious racial slurs have been replaced by new words of insult such as 'THOSE people'. The word 'those' is perfectly innocent but when linked with 'people' it changes, chameleon-like, into something very different, carrying a whole layer of implied meanings, mostly negative.

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Very well written! A very dynamic point of view on a current powerfully charged issue. Good job!

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

i feel great deal of emotion
in this piece alot more
then i am to realize
this is more than anyone

i think it is a really good write.
i have changed from a political
comment. i realized that is not
what this is, a political statement

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 4 people found this review constructive.

you know i enjoyed this.... but everyone has a different take on illegals and people who travel over the boarders..... i mean i agree with you about the hate but sometimes its like.... why are they here you see what im saying??? I dont know i wish i could see it through your eyes!!

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

What an awesome piece! Great job

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

282 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 17, 2008
Last Updated on March 17, 2008

Author

Danielle Asher
Danielle Asher

not what you would expect, Long Island, NY



About
I care about faith,Justice, Equity for all, Peace, love,working toward letting go of all judgment,music, dancing, traveling as much of the world as I can and Chocolate! check out IVAW.org read my fri.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Primitive Man Primitive Man

A Story by Rain