The Sound of Heartache

The Sound of Heartache

A Story by Violight
"

Raw piece regarding my recent break-up

"

His promises and pretty words were wrapped with bows. With each lie and unspoken word, the wrapping decayed, the bow withered, and the box that I believed once housed his good intentions laid opened before me. Morbid curiosity hissed it’s temptation as I tip-toed toward that uncertainty and allowed myself to peek inside: empty. 

Was the box always empty? 

The floodgates opened within my mind as my thoughts drowned in questions. I began to question it all; his words, his actions, and worst of all…myself. 

My heart cries out for answers and closure I know I’ll never receive. My former comfort and peace I had within him has been stripped away, leaving me as hollow as the cardboard box of lies. Foolishly, I wish to see him once more as I gaze through a rose-tinted mirror and stare out at the beautiful mirage of memories that play on repeat. The only remaining piece of him I have left. 

Although in truth this severed bond was no surprise. For weeks I watched helplessly as he slipped away from me. Desperately I tried to hold onto something that was never mine. Ignorantly believing I could find a way to make him stay. 

With a clenched fist I shatter the mirror. The pieces float to the ground like a snow shower around me. The broken glass coats the floor, surrendering me trapped in this corner. The glimmering shards taunt me; whispering the truth I dare not speak. I fear that uttering them may solidify this nightmare into reality. Pressing my hands against my reddened ears, I try to protect myself from their snickering sneers. 

I cannot press my hands against my ears hard enough. I hear them calling me weak, and a slave to love. They mock me and remind me that it’s my fault, for I ignored all the blaring signs and brought this upon myself. They remind me that I would walk barefooted across this floor to find him if he wished, and for that very reason I disgust myself. They’re right. I would hurt myself if only to see him once more. I hate that I love such an unloving person. Even when I know that nothing could repair what has been done. The damage has long since set. 

But for some self-destructive reason, I painstakingly waited for his words to free me from this hell where his actions have put me. The silence became unbearable and in a fit of utter anguish, I slammed the door and set that bridge ablaze. The flames kept me warm on that night, but I knew it wouldn’t last. Soon the cold found me, and the sadness seeped back in. So, with shaking hands I cracked my window - allowing him an opening just in case he ever wishes to hear my words sing a beautiful lie one last time. 

© 2016 Violight


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

151 Views
Added on April 5, 2016
Last Updated on April 5, 2016
Tags: breakup, break up, relationship, end, loss, betrayal, heartache, heartbroken, sad, depressed, lost, light, losing someone, alone, scared, poem, poetry, sadness, broken

Author

Violight
Violight

Writing
Her Light Her Light

A Poem by Violight