I am

I am

A Poem by D. R. Fitzgerald Jr

I am nothing like you

But I’ve always tried to be

Who could have expected

Anything less

You loved me and taught me

Like I was your son

But I wasn’t

Maybe not by blood

But you loved me and taught me

To be everything

                         I am not

© 2008 D. R. Fitzgerald Jr


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very haunting and emotional piece. There's great tension right after the part about being the son with the line "But I wasn't/Maybe not by blood." That really adds quite an edge to the piece. I think there is also a good job of adding more tension to the length of the lines and how choppy they are. It makes complete sense to me why it is like that.

On the second time I read this, I noticed how everything is sandwiched in between two very powerful statements "I am nothing like you" and "I am not." That really made this piece stand out even more in my mind and gave it more strength than I originally got from the first time I read it.

Great write with this one. Thanks for sharing and sorry it took so long to get to it.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

this reminds me of the heroic people that came into my life, and helped me when i needed them most. funny how they just appeared out of nowhere, encouraging growth and prosperity.

well-done.

Posted 16 Years Ago


So sad. I like it a lot though. I think many people feel that they have failed thier parents- failed to live up to thier expectations. In reality I think that most parents are very proud of thier children and accept them despite thier path in life. Overall, I think they just want us to be happy. Very heartfelt poem, good job.

Posted 16 Years Ago


A profound way to try and gain approval. Very well written and makes me "think"...good write!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

163 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 12, 2008

Author

D. R. Fitzgerald Jr
D. R. Fitzgerald Jr

Lynchburg, VA



About
I'm 25 years old and live in Lynchburg VA. I don't really think i'm a great writer or even a good one, writing is just my way of venting. Sept. 18 The Day Of Internal Mystery Those born on September .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..