Cruelty of Reality

Cruelty of Reality

A Story by Virtual Phun

The light flicked on in a second, and the horror began once again. And I had lived far too long and seen far too much that I'm not sure anymore if I should be happy that tonight was the last of my torture or sad that it was the last of me.

But what was the point anyways? I cared not to know.

They say not being alone eases the sorrow and depression that wash over you when you're through a tough time. And while I genuinely appreciated the company of those who soon became my friends - those who supported me and held me up when I broke down and we vowed to hold each other whenever one of us broke down in such dark times, I couldn't help but hate my life and what have become of it. I hated every second I've spent between these walls, I hated everyone who roamed freely behind while my friends and I were trapped in here against our wills enduring the morbidity and assault that frequently went on here, I hated the world and I hated the humans - the responsible - for all the unreasonable and merciless terror they brought on us with. Why? What have we ever done? We would never know.

Looking back at my life and the younger me I've also began detesting myself and my naivete. My limitless ambition and flying dreams; wanting so much but being so small... it's almost as if the universe was mocking me from the very beginning of my existence. Nothing more than just a tool. I wanted to be something. I wanted to create. I wanted to inspire, explore and discover. I wanted to write my mind and sing my songs and dance under the rain and laugh because I was taught nothing in this life happened that could ever take away my ability to enjoy the finest and simplest things in life. I wanted to be known. And the dreams were very promising and so fair... but unfortunately, the bitter reality was far... the game was never fair. How could I be so blind and stupid? Reality was another name for cruelty, and never fair.

I remember the day I had arrived here. Oh, how happy had I been. The excitement hardly shown but I was burning in ecstasy. How could I not when I would finally get my answers: Am I an engineer? A doctor? A teacher? I would finally come to know my purpose in this life and who I am. That I'd at last be of use to this society, the way I imagined it, that I will contribute to help push it forward, even if I were nothing more than just a small hand at the end of the line.

But the times and days that followed... proved that I had been very far the truth.

The lights were flicked on; how could a simple action succeed to effectively (re)plant the horror and dismay in us everytime? A wooden door that separated our white but hopeless room and the freedom that we yearn for behind slowly creeked open. A sense of dread set in and caused my insides to churn. The air was heavy, a second was again somehow longer than my entire life in this place and my thoughts were ceased. The inevitable was happening. I knew by then that my existence, my torture, my depression as well as my last straw of dignity and self-respect - all together will soon be wiped, so easily and in a matter of seconds. I've seen it before. This was the end. It was the last of me.

The woman I've come to know as Cassie walked in, a shady yellow silk pajamas glimmering. Her eyes appeared to be dazed, perhaps her mind was not in its optimum condition, just as often times she had come in here. Her skin pale and her jet black hair was untidy and in a mess. A perfect mess. She was always perfect in my eyes. In every way imaginable... It hurt loving her. I knew the universe was rubbing it in my face when I realized I fell for her, exercising its unquestionnable talent of ruining lives on me - asserting its dominance and challenging itself to make it any more worse and miserable. Cassie had no interest in me whatsoever, she barely even looked at me. I on the other hand saw skies, worlds, oceans, and found shimmers of hope in the pools of her azure blue eyes that I would love to get lost i

© 2016 Virtual Phun


Author's Note

Virtual Phun
Prompt: An object magically gains a sentience.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

154 Views
Added on June 6, 2016
Last Updated on June 6, 2016
Tags: humour, funny, sad

Author

Virtual Phun
Virtual Phun

Omdurman, Sudan



About
Corazøn en fuego. ı defınıtely łost my halø. I love writing cryptic poetry and song lyrics, most of them are of personal experiences, some of them are of matters a.. more..

Writing
00:22 00:22

A Poem by Virtual Phun