Three months before...

Three months before...

A Chapter by Ana Drake

  A drop of crimson red blood, mixed with a bit of fear inducted sweat, drips onto the tile. As a boy, his uniform torn almost to shreds, runs down the hall. Three others follow, blood staining their knuckles. The boy reaches the stairwell, praying for some salvation, only to run into another mob of hateful high-school boys. So he continues down the hall, refusing to give in. The same pride that got him into this mess, would have to get him out.

Why did I have to open my mouth? I could've just kept walking. I thought Amanda liked me, I thought she'd be happy I saved her. But, she  turned on me just like everyone else, and now I'm alone.

 Without an alternative, he finds himself atop the schools roof, surrounded by enemies with the faces of his peers. The friends he thought he once had, but now were nothing but dark memories pushed in to the furthest part of his mind. Turning from them to look out across the field. There's only one way out now. Though his soul cries out no, the broken boy steps to the edge of the roof. Across the field, past the forming crowd below, he spots their leader standing alone in the shadows.

He's enjoying this, everyone is. But it's his fault.

He takes a deep breath to steady his racing thoughts, to calm his beating heart. Breaking his gaze with his tormentors, his looks down to the grassy lawn before him.

If this is what he wants, what it'll take to end this... So be it. 



Yay! The day is over and now I can finally go home. No homework, three day weekend, what more could I ask for? Even work went smoothly today. Though Katie was home sick, the extra work didn't hurt. Much. And now I'm five minutes from home, and that can of root beer is calling out my name.

 Ugh, so is the shower. I smell like wheat bread and strawberries. The price for working in a small bakery. But well worth it, because in three months I'll have my car and everything will be perfect! A 1993 Honda Del Sol, with candy red paint and chrome rims. Sounds expensive, maybe even alittle ghetto, and it is. But since I have the best friend in the world I'll be getting it for a steal. I'm actually starting to feel kindov blessed, everything is fitting into place. Perfectly...

 Suddenly I stop walking. The chilly night air promptly catches up to me, but I'm too distracted to care. Never, not once in my entire sixteen years of life, has everything been perfect. I cant even make a batch of cookies perfectly. Unless, something horrible is going to happen. I start to rush home to my family. The last time thing were all right in my life, my Nani passed away. It feels crazy, but I have to be sure everyone's alright.

 "I'm home!" I announce once I'm inside, before counting the shoes discarded at the door.

 Three pairs not including mine, which means everyone's home. I find my mother in the kitchen smiling like a crazy woman, while flipping through a catalog.

 "Mom? Hello?" I snap at her when she does acknowledge my first three sentence. Her head pops up, causing strands of her silvery blonde hair to come loose from her pony-tail.

 "Oh! Hi baby, your home! Great, that's great. Um, I have some great news. Well, yeah, great news, for you at least. Why don't you come sit down."

 I give her a blank stare, and remain standing, most things my mom thinks are great, are, usually not. But the look in her coral blue eyes tell me it doesn't really matter what I think rightnow. So with a big dramatic sigh I sit down at the table across from her, dropping my bag and coat onto the floor beside me.

 "Mom please tell me it doesn't involve more college credit. It's only two weeks into my junior year, and I cant handle-"

 "Baby blue, stop rambling please. It's not that. Actually it's better, way way better." She says, her smile bright and her eye's wide. This can't be good.

 "Just tell me mom, I need a shower and a nap."

 "Okay, calm down. Whoa, I'm sure that attitude comes from your fathers side. I was never snipping with my mom, and she wasn't as active as I am. She would never follow your guidance counselor home and talk him into giving you the lead in Annie, I mean-"

"Mom! Oh my god, that was sixth grade, and you looked like a psycho waiting outside his house mom. Damn! Do you know people still call me stalker Annie. Please, please just get to the point. Before my head explodes." I yell, combing my hair from my face and pinching the bridge of my nose. She can give me a head-ache so fast, it's amazing. Why did I rush home?

 "Alright baby, calm down. Are you calm? Yeah? Okay, now, do you remember that school I told you about? Haywood?"

 "No, which one is that?" I say blandly.

 My mother has serious O.C.D, and she channels all that energy into creating a perfect life for me and my brother. Even if it involves things we don't want. So as one of many efforts to accomplish this, she's been working tirelessly to get me into a boarding school. Even though we're barely in middle class, and can barely pay the mortgage. But some how, she believes we can pay a tuition. She's insane. I really hope that isn't one of the things I've got from her. I mean the long blonde hair and blue eyes are alright but the bug in her a*s needs to stay there.

"The school across town, the big one that we haven't even been able to get an interview for. That one."

"What about it?"

"Your in."

"What?" I ask, still not really listening.

"I got you in, you start next week."

"Wait. What!? What do you mean?" I sit up, hopping I'm going def or mad maybe.

"Exactly that, my bright little Sapphire, I got you in." She reaches for my hand with a big smile across her face, but I pull away.

"Hows that possible, that list is crazy long. Not even rich people get in there. How are we going to afford it!?" 
"It's free, actually there going to pay you. Because, and this is the best art, I got you on a scholarship. For swimming! They have a pool! And as long as you stay out of trouble and maintain a 3.0 GPA, you'll be fine. You'll even a stipend for monthly expenses. Of course you'll have to move in, immediately in fact. But we can start packing tonight, then."

 "Mom... Stop..." I interrupt, suddenly calm. Someone here has to be. "I'm not going anywhere. Except to bed."


© 2013 Ana Drake


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Great stuff once again! I am now a certifed fan of yours! I like the concept, its real YA. I spotted what i think is a typo. Is this bit:
"Wait. What!? What do you mean?" I sit up, hopping I'm going def or mad maybe.

supposed to be:
"Wait. What!? What do you mean?" I sit up, hoping I'm going deaf or mad maybe.

But anyway, great work! Do you mind if i post a link to this on my blog? Im trying to get more exposure for my stuff and other amazing writers, like yourself from WC?

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ana Drake

11 Years Ago

Lol, I would love that. And if there anything you'd like me to read please send me a R.R. And thankx.. read more



Reviews

This is good, Her mom is outrageous!


Posted 11 Years Ago


Great stuff, apart from some minor things like, "It's free, actually there going to pay for it..." should be "they're going..
Other than that in the beginning you have the narration of a boy and then back to this girl at the end, that transition was a little shaky. I do like how you characterized the mother perfectly, hope she becomes more involved throughout. Keep at it, I'm sure it will turn out great!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ana Drake

11 Years Ago

I'm not that good at second person narrations, so this is mostly new to me. I'm trying something dif.. read more
Great stuff once again! I am now a certifed fan of yours! I like the concept, its real YA. I spotted what i think is a typo. Is this bit:
"Wait. What!? What do you mean?" I sit up, hopping I'm going def or mad maybe.

supposed to be:
"Wait. What!? What do you mean?" I sit up, hoping I'm going deaf or mad maybe.

But anyway, great work! Do you mind if i post a link to this on my blog? Im trying to get more exposure for my stuff and other amazing writers, like yourself from WC?

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ana Drake

11 Years Ago

Lol, I would love that. And if there anything you'd like me to read please send me a R.R. And thankx.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

420 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 15, 2012
Last Updated on July 20, 2013
Tags: young adult, teenagers. fiction, romance, party, vacation, hate, violence, drinking, friendship, boarding, school, highschool, drama


Author

Ana Drake
Ana Drake

Columbus, OH



About
Greetings my fellow writers. I would like to give thankx to my great friends here at Writerscafe. I am all too happy to be in such good company, you all give me the will to keep writing. Now, ab.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Ana Drake