Don't forget: I love you

Don't forget: I love you

A Story by Vonnie15
"

Daddy used to say my last words should always be: "I love you". I never understood what he meant. Until now.

"

Daddy used to say my last words should always be: "I love you". I never understood what he meant.

 

I woke up to find Daddy tickling my feet. He always woke me up like that. First he would tickle my toes and then he would make loud, funny sounds by blowing on my tummy. Daddy snuggled into my small bed with me, and for a minute we quietly listened to the big chubby raindrops falling on the roof. Daddy and I loved the rain. On rainy days we always made banana pancakes and then jumped in the biggest puddles we could find. But today was boring, old school. "Daddy, I think I should skip school today. After all, it is pancake day," I said in the most grown-up tone I could possibly muster as a 7 year old. Daddy smiled gently and replied, "Not today, Snuggle Bunny. I have to go to work and you really should go to school, because Mrs Smythe will miss you if you're not there. " Mrs Smythe was my teacher. I really didn't care whether she would miss me or not. I wanted pancakes and Daddy was being silly.

After deciding I was angry at Daddy, I got dressed grumpily and, without a single word, I waited in the car for Mommy. Daddy tried to hug me and said, "I love you", but I was too angry about the pancakes to say anything back.

 

At break, my bestest buddy, Martha, noticed that I was grumpy and asked whether I had a sore tummy or something. I lied and told her I did. I didn't think she would understand. It wasn't as fun jumping in puddles with Martha as it was with Daddy, so I decided that I forgave him. 

The school day took forever, but finally, it was time to go home. Daddy always fetched me from school. But today, Daddy wasn't waiting for me in the parking lot. Instead, I found Grandpa there. He had a funny look on his face; kind of like the look he sometimes got when we ate spicy food for lunch and he said he had heart burn. I asked Gramps where Daddy was, but  he wanted to speak about other things instead.

When we got home, I ran into the kitchen. I sort of expected to find Daddy making banana pancakes, but only Mommy was there. She was crying.

 

Daddy made a big car accident that rainy morning. Mommy said Jesus took Daddy to his real home up there in the sky. Past the rainbows and chubby clouds.

 

Daddy used to say my last words should always be: "I love you". I finally understood what he meant.

© 2009 Vonnie15


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Mmmm... Really makes one stop and think... Beautiful story... touching... sad... very well written! I loved it!

Posted 14 Years Ago


Aw, this is so sad! But its also extremely well-written. You conveyed the emotions of the narrator very well, the reader clearly feels what she is feeling throughout the piece. Its a heartbreaking story, but a very good write!
I enjoyed this.

-Heather:)

Posted 14 Years Ago


I really like the repeated line at both sides of this story, it gave a sense of finality at the end. This story is especially close to my heart as one of my best friends lost her father at around the age of the character in the story, but regardless of my personal feelings on the matter, I felt that you delved into the subject quite effectively, especially in using the diction of a child. Props to you for broaching such a sensitive subject in such an open way. I really enjoyed reading this.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

167 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 12, 2009
Last Updated on October 25, 2009

Author

Vonnie15
Vonnie15

South Africa



About
01:26... darkness surrounds me...the sound of my room mate's invasive snoring and the sound of my keyboard my only company. That's what I do. I love to write. I need to write. It keeps me sane, I thin.. more..

Writing
In In

A Story by Vonnie15