Chapter 2: Amnesia

Chapter 2: Amnesia

A Chapter by Wendy
"

What lurks beyond in unknown realms? Gwen Meets Four strangers from another world and helps guide them along their path.

"
Two red eyes glowed in the dark shadow of the unknown doorway. They bore deep into my soul, making me tremble. This was the first time I’d seen anything unnatural. He stepped back from the opening, showing himself briefly in the sun of his dimension. He smiled deviously at me as it closed slowly. I mustered up my courage and broke into a run toward the monster. I brought my sword up so that I could bring it crashing down over his head. I screamed as I jumped over the pile of bodies laying on the ground. My sword came crashing down on what would have been the creepy eyed beast, but the portal closed before I could hit my mark. I dropped down to my knees on the ground and began to cry. I was so scared and what was worse, I couldn’t even hit the first monster I came across. After I got a hold of myself, I turned while kneeling. I looked at the pile of people laying there and gulped audibly as I poked one in the arm. He seemed human.

“Uh… hello? You guys alive or what?”

The man I  poked moaned a little and then raised his head to look at me.

“Hang on, I’ll be right back.”

I ran and grabbed the flashlight and bag I dropped on the ground. I had water in it that I hadn’t planned on sharing, but they looked like they needed it more than me. I helped him up so that he was sitting up. He nodded a thanks to me after I handed him water. Then I proceeded to helping the others. They all looked very confused. I’m sure my world was much different than theirs. I know I’d be disoriented.

The man first to get water was the first to recover. He spoke with me while the others still recuperated.

“Do you have anything stronger… alcohol or something?”  He said in a rough oriental accent.

“No way! I’m too young to drink.”

I laughed a little, it was a funny thing for him to ask. He didn’t seem to think so, but my reply made him all the more confused.

“Of course your old enough, silly girl. Since when does a grown woman say she’s not old enough. I started drinking at age nine! What is this nonsense?”

He sighed and then grabbed her pack. He rummaged through it and then set it back down.

“Hey! That’s mine!”

“I guess you weren’t lying then.”

“Of course I didn’t lie! What kind of Paladin would that make me?”

“A Paladin? That is fascinating. Now, can you tell me who I am and who these people are? What have you done to us?”

“ME? What’s that’s suppose to mean? I found you here! You were dumped through some sort of portal by some evil creature. I was tried to smite him, but it closed before I got the chance. Do you remember what your world was called?”

“I’m afraid not.”

The others seem to become more aware as we talked. They were an interesting group in this light. My flashlight didn’t offer much, but I at least got a semi good look at them. The guy I had been talking to looked like some kind or oriental monk. He had long dark hair, looked to be in his twenties. He had on a open karate gee, showing his mass of muscle and olive toned skin.  He had on sandals and didn’t appear to be carrying any kind of weapons. The woman next to him looked like some sort of human-lizard hybrid in her twenties. She had scales on her face, arms and feet. She had long blond hair, vivid yellow eyes, and a scantily clad Mage’s outfit. She wore a short halter top and her pants were long and billowy, slit up the sides, connecting at the waist and ankles. Quite beautiful actually. There was  a man who glowed with flames who looked like a teenager.  He wore a dark loin cloth made of some metallic material. His features looked human, but I couldn’t get over the flames that crawled over his skin. His hair even looked like fire. He didn’t seem to know if he could turn the flames off or not. Lastly was a man that looked like an average human in his thirties. He had brown hair, scruff on his face, and reminded me of a few Rouges I had met as a child. He was definitely going through some sort of withdrawals though, because he was covered in sweat. He shook and water did not seem to help.  He concerned me greatly. I knew we’d have to get him to a hospital soon, but there’s no way I could bring these strange people to a public place. People would stare at them worse than they did at me! Not only that, but a couple of them might be captured for experiments. I cringed at the thought. None of them knew their names or where they were from. They seemed to have Amnesia. Maybe that’s why I had this overwhelming feeling that I needed to help and protect them. That’s when it kicked in. A power came over me as I made a deal with myself that I would protect them until they found their memories. That was the day I became a Devoted Defender. I’d heard about Devoted Defenders before, they were few and far between. Never in my wildest dreams had I imagined me, the world’s biggest klutz, to become one.


We walked nearly all night before coming to a little town named Chiloquin.  If you blinked you might miss it. There wasn’t really anything to it. A few random houses, a corner market with gas, and one whole in the wall motel. By this point we had found out that the flame man could in fact turn off his ability. It had taken him hours of walking, but he did it. Which was really good, because I was worried about burning down the motel we would stay in.

I had the group of strangers wait outside as I went inside. I didn’t have much money left, so I got one room for all of us to share. The sun was nearly risen as I came out of the office with our room key. In our room, there were two double beds, two chairs beside a table, a dresser with a television set on it, and the bathroom. Pretty typical for a motel room. I flipped on the light and they were all went berserk with shock by the technology. They thought it was magic or something. They seemed a little more lively upon entering. Three of them stared at the lighting while playing with the switches. The sickly guy went back outside and puked. I left him alone so that I could use the restroom and take a much needed shower.

When I came out of the restroom, their attention was on the television as one played with the remote control. I laughed because it was like watching a bunch of cave men. The sickly fellow wasn’t in the room still. I panicked a little and went outside to find him. He wasn’t where I‘d left him. So, I walked around the  motel. He wasn’t anywhere to be found, so I decided to go check at the office.

“Hey, it’s me. The girl in number nine. Hey, my friend is sick and he wondered off. You haven’t seen him have you?”

“No we haven’t seen anyone.” Said the old woman behind the desk. She looked back at her husband standing in a doorway. He nodded no and then she looked back at me.

“Not too sick I hope. What’s he got anyhow? Nothin’ contagious is it?”

“Oh no, just ate something bad in Bend. He’s been sick ever since. Okay, I’m going to go look for him some more. Thanks for your help.”

“S’no problem Miss. Sorry we couldna of been more help.”

It occurred to me that he may be looking for drugs. I doubted that a small town like this would have it’s drug dealers, so I went to the first place I could think of. The corner market.

The market was dark inside and the doors long since locked. The sign stated that they were only open from seven in the morning until nine at night. I looked at my watch to check the time. It was nearly seven now! Would Mr. Drug Addict know what would be in a store here in my world?

Almost in answer to my question I heard a bottle rattled down the back alley. I ran quickly to go check it out. As I peered around the corner I saw him. He was trying to pick the back door lock. I walked out into the alley light toward him.

“You know, they’ll be open soon. Come with me and give up on breaking in. I will get you some medicine that will help.”

“I don’t need medicine little girl. I need drugs! Where do you people keep your drugs in this world?”

“Look, I cannot help you with that, I wont. All I can offer is medicine. You wont find any drugs in a place like this anyway. Please just come with me and let me help.”

He sighed in defeat and looked as if he might cry. He was a sad looking man. He definitely looked like he was getting worse too.

We waited only a few minutes by the store front before the owner drove up. He opened the door and greeted us kindly. He worked on turning on all the lights, the coffee, and the register while we found the medicine isle. I grabbed a bottle of aspirin and some cough medicine. From what I’d heard, cough medicine worked wonders for hang-overs. Maybe it’d help the poor guy. He barely made it out of the store before cracking it open and taking three times the recommended dosage. I frowned not liking what he’d done, but what could I do to stop him. 

We made it back to the motel shortly after and everyone had fallen fast asleep. The monk and the lizard girl were laying on the floor, covered in sheets. The fire guy was asleep in a chair, leaving the beds open. I pointed the sick one to a bed, while I took the other.

Housekeeping passed our room, due to the “do not disturb” sign. We slept long and hard, not waking until three in the afternoon.

I had to show everyone how to use the restroom, which was not the highlight of my day. I ended up leaving everyone in the room while I went and got food. As I walked back up to the market I noticed a car for sale. It was beaten up and very well used. Looked like a civic or something from the 1980’s. I walked around it and then read the sign.

FOR SALE- $300 O.B.O.
1987 Honda Civic
Runs great, needs lots of TLC
Inquire inside market if interested.

A smile crept over my face as I realized this was an answer to my prayers.

“Thank you God!” I yelled out.

I went into the store and quickly gathered up some bear claws and milk. I got to the counter and talked to the forty something man behind the counter as he rung up the items.

“So, is that your car for sale outside?”

“Yeah. You lookin’ to buy sweetheart?”

“Well, I’ve been walking across Oregon and I need a car real bad. I don’t have what your asking, but I can give you two hundred if your willing to drop it that low?”

The cashier frowned at the offer. “Ya can’t offer me more?”

“No, I’m basically broke. Two hundred is everything I’ve got left.”

He looked like he really felt bad for me and placed his hands on the counter, staring me in the eyes.

“If you could help me, it’d be an answer to my prayers. Please?”

He sighed, but seemed to be under my charm.

“Prayers huh? Well, I guess I’ll take the offer then. Don’t see many other people around these parts. Don’t recon if I’ll be getting any other offers. So, do you want to test drive it first? I promise it works real good.”

“No, I trust you. Thank you so much Sir! Really!”

I paid him and drove the car over to the motel, across the street. As I pulled up, the monk opened the door and stared at the car amazed.

“Wow! What is that?”

I Got out of the car, looking at it with him. How do you describe a car to someone who has never seen one?

“Well, it’s like a horse. Kind of. It’s a machine that you can drive. You feed it gas, oil and water. It’ll seat all of us and help us travel faster. It’s not the best car, but it’s all I could afford. You like it?”

He smiled and nodded.

“Can I drive?”

“No way! Don’t even think about it. You have to have a license before you can drive. It’s sort of a proof of training.”

He nodded in agreement, seeming to understand and went back into the room. I followed to gather everyone up.

“So, we ready to go?”

I looked around and shook my head laughing. The grouped around the television, while the monk found a mini fridge. He pulled out several mini bottles of alcohol and stuffed his pockets while downing one.

“Now this is more like it!” He said cheerfully.

I walked over and turned off the T.V. and then showed them to the car.

“Use the seat belts and buckle yourselves in. I’ll be right back. I got to go check us out.”

I watched them cautiously as I walked to the office. I was a little afraid to leave them alone again. The old lady greeted me happily and gave me my deposit back, minus the cost of the drinks. I thanked her several times before leaving. As I made it out the front door I could hear the car horn honking and all four of them screaming and laughing.

“Great, people are going to think we’re drunk or high!”

I raced back to the car and scolded them like a bunch of children. This was going to be a long drive.


© 2010 Wendy


Author's Note

Wendy
The next chapter is a little harder for me. The RP was a lot of doing and not much talking. So, the conversation is lacking and horrible. Does anyone mind a bad script? Does it add character to the story or should I change the chatter to something better?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

95 Views
Added on March 16, 2010
Last Updated on March 16, 2010


Author

Wendy
Wendy

Carson City, NV



About
29, divorced / Female. I have a cute 3 yr old son. In a realationship. I've got strawberry blond hair, green eyes, lots of freckles, and I am 5'7". I'm very friendly and laid back. I'm heavy into .. more..

Writing
Chapter 1: Oregon Chapter 1: Oregon

A Chapter by Wendy