Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Walker Andreasen

Chapter 1

 

The sound of the old ford truck and its blaring 80’s rock music could be heard as it barreled down the empty streets late in the night. The roads were wet from the rain that had just fallen. The lamp light reflected off the streets and damp tree leaves with a yellow glow that seemed so bright against the pure black night sky. The only sound heard besides the music was the tires against the wet ground. The truck stopped at the light, made a left, then its second right into the quiet neighborhood and onward it continued into the vast network of small community streets. The driver made a final right turn onto a street, killed the headlights and the music, and then continued his creeping pace down the street.

                The driver feared that he should have turned his music off sooner. He didn’t want to wake anyone in the houses and raise suspicion. Or worse: have the cops called on him. He couldn’t afford that, not now anyways. His two passengers in the truck seemed happy that he turned the music off, but the driver needed it to calm his nerves. Especially for what he was about to do. A man sat in the middle, and a woman in the passenger seat. He came to the house he was looking for stopped in front of it.

                “Is this it, Jake?” asked the male passenger.

                Jake answered in the affirmative, and then turned off the truck.

                “This can’t be it! You said it would be a big house, Jake!” said the woman.

                “Shut up Delia! This is it.” Jake snapped. He gave Delia a hating glare in return for the same glare Delia was giving Jake. The man in the middle folded his arms and shrank further in the seat glancing at the two from the corner of his eyes as he never did like Jake and Delia arguing. He always felt insignificant around them. Delia would always boss him around, never say thank you; and all Jake did was yell at Delia and tell him what to do. At least Jake said thank you.

                “Hunter,” Jake said in a quiet voice. “You’re get-away…again.” He added after a moment.

                “Yeah so don’t mess it up or I SWEAR I’ll leave you this time, Hunter.” Snapped Delia.

                “You’ve been saying that for the past eight months.” Hunter snapped back.

                “Guys, just cool it! I can’t handle this. We need to cooperate or we’ll all get booked. Remember what we’re here for?” Jake said.

                “Yeah we’re here for your stupid revenge. You, you, you, you, you. That’s all we ever do is stuff for you. What about us? We have revenge we want to. But no. Who cares about Delia an-“ Hunter cut her off, “Oh my god I can’t stand your bitching anymore you psychotic  freak!”

                After that remark Hunter yanked Jake’s .38 revolver out of Jake’s coat jacket and in one fluid movement cocked it and then stabbed it in Delia’s side.

                “What the hell are-“ Delia started to say then Jake cut her off with, “Whoa, whoa, whoa guys chill! Chill!”

                “All you ever do is b***h, and b***h, and b***h, and yell at me and make me feel like s**t and I’ve had enough of it!” Hunter said. Delia looked into his eyes and saw the rage pooled inside of him. In that moment he hated her.

                “Baby, wait no. I never meant any of it! I love-“ She started to say and fear grasped her and Jake could see it in her eyes. Deep in her eyes.

                “Shut, UP!” Hunter yelled cutting her off as he pulled the trigger, the shot was muffled against her side. Delia gasped quickly and shortly out of surprise and her eyes went wide. She looked at Hunter with a look of confusion and surprise and said, “But… baby-” then slumped slowly over against the door as her eyes fluttered shut. Then her eyes closed forever.

                Hunter sat there looking at her, his eyes still wild with rage and hatred, his gun still in the same spot as where he pulled the trigger and his index finger white as it was still holding the trigger back firmly.

                “Hunter... what…what did you do?” Jake said quietly with surprise in his voice. Hunter lowered his gun as it finally hit him what he’d done.              

                “Wait. No. No, no, no” Hunter said as he dropped the gun on his seat, the hatred and rage out of him and his eyes and his face went into disbelief. “Baby no. No, I didn’t mean it.” He sat there and looked at her for only a second, but it seemed like it was an eternity. Her dark black hair which fell just below her shoulders, her small, thin nose which sat above her perfect lips. He wished he could have kissed them again, felt them against his lips. He wanted to taste her on his lips again. Her slim build which made her seem anorexic where as she was six feet even. He was only an inch taller than her. Her small hands which he loved to hold in his much larger ones, it made him feel as though he was protecting her, even though she didn’t need it. But when he held her hand, or held her in his arms, he finally felt like he had a purpose, to protect something; to love something.

                He never had that as a child growing up. He never had love or protection from his parents. He finally reached over with one hand and grabbed at her shirt, grabbing some of it and pulling her up and over into his arms. Her head fell on his chest, and he wrapped one arm around her waist and the other pressing her head lovingly against his chest, his fingers entwining in her hair. He could still feel some of her warmth left and half wished her limp arms would wrap around his waist. All he could do is look at the ceiling of the truck with tears welling in his eyes, not blinking.

He sat there for a long moment, and Jake just sat and watched. Finally Hunter closed his eyes tight and let out a loud quick sob and said, “Oh god baby I didn’t mean it.” The hot tears started to roll down his cheeks and he let loose another sob this one longer and quieter. He re-grasped her, pulling her into him tighter. “Baby, please no.” Re-grasping her again, he said in with the tears choking him “I didn’t mean it baby” Then the last thing he said for a long time he said in a whisper only meant for her ears but Jake heard anyways, “I love you baby. Oh god I Love you”

                “HEY!” Jake heard from the outside. The house they were parked in front of had its porch light on and a man standing in his boxers on the porch. Hunter didn’t move, he just kept holding Delia and sobbing, weeping, crying. In his mind there was nothing else in the world besides him and her. Re-grasping her often and then he started to rock her. The man on the porch started to head for the truck so Jake started it and drove off fast. He needed the music on to calm his nerves. He needed it on loud. But he didn’t because Hunter still sat there holding Delia, rocking her, stroking her hair. Now the only thing that could be heard on the street were the tires on the wet pavement, and the sobs of a man who just lost everything he had in his world.



© 2012 Walker Andreasen


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

The good description made this chapter come alive. I like the description of location and the discussion in the truck. I like the edge on this story. You got my attention and I wanted to know more. Thank you for the excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago


Amazing!

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

422 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 12, 2012
Last Updated on July 12, 2012


Author

Walker Andreasen
Walker Andreasen

Grafenwoehr, Bayern, Germany



About
If you're going to stop by, please at least leave a review before you go! My name is Walker Andreasen and writing is my passion. I write everything from stories to songs. The only thing I haven't wri.. more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by Walker Andreasen


2 2

A Chapter by Walker Andreasen


3 3

A Chapter by Walker Andreasen



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Walker Andreasen