Does it Matter?

Does it Matter?

A Chapter by Rebekah Smith

As long as what's being done can rest easy on the conscience - As long as you're doing "the Right Thing", all is well.
But...we're always too preoccupied to do tasks as they appear.
We're too busy with the menial to tend to importance, to vitality.
This morning, I was walking through Old Market. The sky was steel, with little glistening shavings twisting to the ground; it was softly misting with rain, and then I saw it. A trail of distended, thin black plastic on the ground, the remains of a bag that had contained the rubbish now strewn along the street.
It began with denim: jeans of differing shades alongside other clothes. Absorbing water and dirt off the concrete, sucking it up like a filthy cocktail. I pondered over the waste, the people who may've used those things.
Then, food waste and cans; sparse at first, then congregating in a thickening clump that eventually gathered at the lips of an upturned wheelie bin. I pulled the slick blue-and-black plastic container upright, heart a little cracked and sad...I walked away.
I couldn't clear the mess. I was late to somewhere that I didn't want to be.

This experience perfectly illustrates our discrepancies to me. What MATTERED at that moment was clearing the mess, sorting out my world; instead, I was ushering myself away because of the false obligations of society and the imaginary pressure.


© 2017 Rebekah Smith


Author's Note

Rebekah Smith
Can you see the point?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

134 Views
Added on January 30, 2017
Last Updated on January 30, 2017


Author

Rebekah Smith
Rebekah Smith

Bristol, South-West, United Kingdom



About
This is an extrememly hard box to fill, so my idle mind will leave it to your creative one. more..

Writing
*...* *...*

A Poem by Rebekah Smith