The Soul Keeper

The Soul Keeper

A Story by WatcherInSilence

It lived in a far away cave, dwelling in the midst of the dark. It lurked in the night, scoping cautiously the areas for its fallen victims before attacking them.

Some said it was a faceless monster; other referred to it as a myth. But those who were there to tell the tale simply called it the Soul Keeper.

Considered by many as the guardian of the underworld, this creature fed on people’s souls, stealing them mercilessly before trapping them in a wooden jar.

During daylight, it sought refuge in its cave, shielded from the burning light. It breathed darkness; for it was the source of its power.

At nightfall the creature would awake from its slumber; it would begin its haunt at dusk and return at dawn after rounding up souls from the four corners of the globe. It was known to be a silent killer; it would often wait for the opportune moment, when its prey is at its weakest, to attack it and rob it of its soul.

But one night, as the sun was setting smoothly behind the ocean waves, the soul keeper decided to make its move. It traveled across the lands, searching for despairing victims weakened by the shackles of their lives, burdened by the weight of expectations and buoyed by misery. And just as it was scouting the area, the creature laid its eyes upon a wandering little girl. Ceasing its opportunity, the soul keeper approached carefully so as not to frighten the child. Now standing in front of the helpless girl, the monster pulled out the wooden jar and started sucking her soul. A hurricane brewed intensely; the girl felt her body being pulled toward the dark, and she was helpless to act. But her soul wouldn’t budge. Stunned by the girl’s resilience, the soul keeper tried with all its might to suck her soul. But its efforts were all vain. The creature was bewildered. Throughout its entire lifespan, it had sucked countless souls and dragged them into the depth of the underworld. And now, here stood a girl, so small and fragile, brimming with innocence against the power of darkness. The soul keeper refused to be outplayed and decided to read into her soul. As its dark eyes stepped in, it sensed nothing but hollowness. A girl so pure, so innocent that her soul was washed from all of life’s evil deeds. Her heart was a fertile land where seeds of hope and promise had begun to bloom. The soul keeper was shut out; the girl met the creature in a stare down. As their eyes met, the child shunned out the darkness with her big brown eyes, and sent it crawling back to the underworld.

 

Faith is in the eye of the beholder. As we step into life, we often find ourselves stranded, shackled by the chains that are enforced upon us. We sink into life burdened by success and value that we forget to savor its moments. And as our passions drown in the ashes of our remains, what it left of us is the picture of that little boy or girl, a free spirit that shines through in spite of the darkness that we open up to. Faith is in the eyes of children.

For no matter the obstacles, no matter the adversity, their innocence prevails, like a free bird carrying a banner, rising up and touching the skies, crying out liberty, hope and promise.   

© 2014 WatcherInSilence


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I agree...totally BRILL! I hope you expand on this story..it'd be worth it! :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


WatcherInSilence

10 Years Ago

Thank you my friend! I just think I might considering the response it just got from you avid readers.. read more
Brilliant, just brilliant!

Posted 10 Years Ago


WatcherInSilence

10 Years Ago

Thank you my dear friend...You have been missed ;)
Solilokiss

10 Years Ago

Hello. I have been thinking of your wonderful writings. I'm over at allpoetry more now... You should.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

201 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 13, 2014
Last Updated on January 13, 2014