1 We The Writers (Valleys)

1 We The Writers (Valleys)

A Chapter by Carmel Kirk
"

Introduction

"
A new year is approacing. A played out song with empty words spoken. A night to celebrate; oh how the people rejoice. Claps and stomps bring closer our sweet decay. A book half written. Break for concession during the intermission. I am the faceless, i am the hate. I am the hope for tomorrow, a dreamer of dreams.

Here we are heading into the year 2017. We have survived everything life has thrown our way thus far. Every heartache, every failure, all the disappoints, and lessons learned hard. We the ones who have been lucky enough to get a chance to live life. Surrounded by so much beauty, yet we find a way to steal away from all it's wonder. We have advanced so far and learned so much through our technology and knowledge, and yet we still know mostly nothing. The human aspect lost in the wreckage. Vanity and greed have consumed us, and we fall victim to our own selfish ways. We look at our neighbors to see if they have more than us, when we should be checking to see if they have enough. Most of us wake up every day, already tired. Tired of our hopes being nothing more than hopes. Tired of waking up every single day and realizing that our dreams are simply dreams. Tired of feeling like we're too small to ever make a difference. We flip on the T.V and access the web, and we see suffering and tragedy everywhere. We may see it on the news, or it may be in knowing that the rich and sexy smiles of the celebrities and elite are being idolized and imitated by the younger generation. We reward the loudest and most shallow. All ears to those who have nothing to say. No one seems to notice, no one seems to care.

We stare face to face with starving children behind our screens. Horrible atrocities play out behind the illusion of white picket fences, and million dollar smiles. Countless little kids scared and shaking at the thought of the night, as they know their monster will never miss a visit. Maybe if we flip it off quickly enough, we can erase it from our minds. We can spare ourselves the guilt, and aimlessly float through the days. If we feel truly compelled to do something, we may share a meme or an uninspired copy-pasted quote on a social media. Take a stand without leaving our seats.

Fact is: People kill themselves every day without realizing the gift they have, without realizing their true potential. Maybe if one person would've embraced them, took them in and empathized with their desperation, it could have meant everything. We never know what someone is carrying with them. Each year countless empty resolutions are declared, but you rarely see anyone willing to journey toward selflessness. May we stand as humble as humanly possible, and never turn away from someone in need. Not for reward, and not for fear of consequence, but for the hope of making a genuine difference. Can those who are whole, openly welcome the broken? Surely times will get tough, and we may find ourselves in the valleys, but it's only then that we can truly appreciate the mountain tops. To feel gratitude for the happiness, as well as the pain. If ever you feel completely alone, know that there are those who have felt what you are feeling, and made it out alive. Know that you are not hopeless, not matter how far you've fallen. We the writers, share this responsibility. Silent voices avail us nothing. Don't ever give up, don't let go of your hope. Know that you are worth it, and deserve to feel a joy so strong that it may one it may replace the sorrow as reason for your tears. No matter race, religon, creed, or gender, everyone should feel what it's like to be alive, rather than just breathing. If you feel like your climb is too steep, and you're fighting an uphill battle, climb and scrape until the blood runs down your hands. Calm seas will never create a true sailor. We may never get yesterday back, but we can use the present to bury the past. Make it count. Be the writer of your story.


© 2021 Carmel Kirk


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

96 Views
Added on March 23, 2017
Last Updated on May 7, 2021


Author

Carmel Kirk
Carmel Kirk

Charleston, WV



About
Musician, writer. I love all different types of music, movies, and books. I'm a vocalist/songwriter for a band, but my first and true passion is writing. Being from a very small town in a small sta.. more..

Writing
12 12

A Story by Carmel Kirk