Chapter One: The Not-So-Calm Before the Storm

Chapter One: The Not-So-Calm Before the Storm

A Chapter by Nathan
"

Figured a good hook to get readers engaged would be a good right hook to the protagonist's face.

"

Victor Benetolin always thought it was kind of weird how America made a sport out of a Native American means of warfare. Teams of hundreds of men would play massive games of lacrosse along the entire east coast. Only the best fighters played, and blood was spilled regularly. It's kind of weird that this means of battle has been transformed into a school-sponsored sport. The boys and girls that play it nowadays are literally being trained in the ways of ancient combat.

Now, imagine challenging one of these 'warriors' to an actual fight. Not one of those poseurs that play it just to look cool or get college credits, I'm talking about one of those guys who plays the sport for the rush, the adrenaline. The feeling of being unstoppable. Someone who wants a means of making themselves strong. Just think what you'd be up against. A human body and mind trained to be fast, confident, and most of all, tough as hell. Kind of puts the sport in a different light when you think of it like that.


But maybe it doesn't. Maybe the lacrosse players you know are all nice guys who just like to play the game. If that’s the case, then good for you.

Because that sure as hell was not the kind of guy that almost broke Victor’s nose.

Jason Corbinski was an absolute asshat. He was obsessed with himself and his strength, and proving that he was stronger than others. The slightest Victor didn’t like him, but he knew that he’d be fine so long as he stayed out of his way.


Between the long-a*s bus ride and the lack of pit stops on the way to Canada, everyone was mentally drained by the time they got to camp. That's all it took. Victor grabbed his suitcase as quickly as possible, and wheeled it away as the crowd started to form around the bus' storage compartment. He was walking away with his luggage when a shout rang out from behind him.

"Hey, s**t stain! That's my suitcase! Get the f**k back here!!"

Victor didn't bother to turn around. Some dumbass probably just took the wrong suitcase and didn't notice it. It was late at night, and people are prone to mistakes after rides like that. It was upon this thought that our poor hero realized he hadn’t brought a suitcase on the trip at all. He had brought a duffel bag. As Victor was putting the pieces together in his head, he felt a hand on his shoulder turn him around and an explosion of pain on erupt on his face.

Which brings the setting back to the fight out story begins with. Or, well, not really a fight. Calling it a fight would insinuate both parties were fighting. Victor was on the ground trying to shield his face to protect it from any further damage as Lance whaled on him. All he could focus on was the hammering blows bombarding his forearms and the unwelcome taste of iron from his own blood. Victor was weakening fast, and by the look in his eyes, Jason knew it too. The last thing Victor saw before a fist finally found its way to his temple was a muscular shadow grabbing his assailant by the back of his shirt, trying to pull him away.




“Dude, did you even try to hit back?”


Victor was sitting in his cabin a few days after the ‘fight’. His nose had healed completely from the scuffle, but the whole trip was still overshadowed by the incident. His friend Charlie was sprawled out on one of the two cots, reading a book on Greek mythology as they talked.


“Of course not.” Victor answered, “It was Lance freaking Powers, what was I supposed to do?”


Charlie Stevenson smirked and readjusted his glasses. He had dark brown hair that normally fell neatly on his head, but a few stray hairs would always stick up off his head. Charlie had a reputation for being quiet, but Victor knew him too well to agree with that. He was quiet, but only around new faces. When he was with people he was comfortable with, he was a rather chatty guy.


“I dunno, stand up to him? You kinda looked like a total wimp.” he pointed out. “He literally had you on the ground. It’s hard to look much wimpier than that.”


Victor sighed and looked in the mirror. His blonde hair was styled in little waves that flowed across his forehead, and his brown eyes met Charlie’s as he pulled out his toothbrush.


“Dude, are you kidding? I’ve never fought anyone in my life, and he beats people up regularly.” Victor responded, “What about you, would you have fought him?”


“Well, yeah.” Charlie brushed off casually, “I mean, I wouldn’t have won, but I would have at least tried. Besides, you’re pretty strong, you could’ve taken him.”


“Why are we even still talking about this? It’s been three days, and we already know neither of us are getting fired, so what does it mat-”


Victor was spared the answer by the abrupt knock at the door. The two boys looked at each other, silently urging each other to answer it. A second knocking prompted Charlie to put down his book, roll out of his cot, and walk over to the door. Victor brushed his teeth, hoping that whoever was at the door would be gone soon so he could go to sleep. He wasn’t  very tired yet, but the last thing he wanted to do was dwell on the incident with Jason for another minute. Victor twisted the cap back on the toothpaste and took the toothbrush out of his out his mouth.


Of course I didn’t fight him, he’s the closest thing to a fighter this camp has. Victor mentally assured himself.


Charlie’s voice interrupted Victor’s thoughts.

“Hey Vic?”


“Yeah, what’s up?”


“Somebody’s here to see you.”


Victor froze. He knew exactly who it was. Jason was hardly the kind of guy to let go of a grudge, especially one against someone that got him in trouble. He quietly slipped out of the bathroom and hesitantly approached the door.

Relax, there’s no way he’d come over this late at night, he’s probably getting ready for bed too.


Charlie’s confused expression wasn’t exactly reassuring as he opened the door wider to see their surprise guest.


Thank God I’m wrong


“Hey man.” Lance stuttered, his thick, familiar, muscular frame filling the doorway “How’s your nose?”



© 2017 Nathan


Author's Note

Nathan
I think there might be a few 1st person/3rd person errors still lurking in this chapter.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

116 Views
Added on July 9, 2017
Last Updated on July 11, 2017
Tags: supernatural, chapters, fantasy


Author

Nathan
Nathan

Philadelphia, PA



About
I started writing for fun after I received a writing award for a short story that I wrote, called "Hunger". That day, I decided I'd try to write something longer, using ideas that I've had for a very .. more..

Writing