1 Welcome to the Ambler family

1 Welcome to the Ambler family

A Chapter by EatingWaffles
"

An eerie dream leaves Evan uneasy.

"
 

I never felt so exhausted before, but fear drove me through the empty midnight street. I kept running as fast as I possibly could. My was destination unknown, but I knew there was a place I had to be. I didn’t understand why, but I didn’t question it. Something had happened, something terrible, and I had to be there to find out what.

My breaths were numbered. It was like being underwater with an oxygen tank about to run out. Each breath I took might have been my last, depending on the time I had left. Panic and sorrow stood by me as I ran with every bit of strength I had in my body. My energy was almost depleted, but my will kept me going.

I saw a small house with flowers and tombstones around it. Something had clicked, telling me that was where whatever I was looking for was at.

I pushed the 2 doors open with more of my body weight than my strength. I saw people sitting down, filling the pews, wearing black. Candles barely lit the dark room. Everyone turned around in their seats, looking at me with so much hostility I could sense it from from a mile away. I ignored them, even though they terrified me, but there was something I had to do. I stood at the beginning of the isle and at the end was an open coffin. I began to walk towards the coffin, desperately wanting to see the soul’s shell of a body it left behind. As I walked I noticed the tension of the people was increasing. So I began walking faster, then I began running, finally I just started sprinting. Just one more step and I would see the face of the departed soul. I tried to inhale, but my lungs gave out, denying the oxygen. My time was up. I was 1 second too late.





I felt a smack on my cheek. I immediately jumped up gasping for air and then fell on the floor.

     “So dramatic,” My sister Alice said as she rolled her eyes.

I saw all the junk under my bed and had realized I was in my room at home and it became obvious to me I was only dreaming. I sat up and saw her long blond hair wrapped up in a bun and her childish pajamas with hearts on them.

     “What, uh, time is it?” I asked, rubbing my eye.

She rolled her eyes again and pulled her phone out of her red robe pocket, “It’s 3:07 AM,” she replied with the light of her phone shining on her mud masked face.

I groaned, “What on earth would make you slap me 3 in the morning?”

     “You wouldn't wake up. I had to slap you.”

I narrowed my eyes at her, “Okay, I'll pretend to believe that. Now what do you want from me?”

     “I think there’s something wrong with Russell...”

     “What do you mean?”

     “I don’t know? I just heard painful groans coming from the bathroom.”

I got up and walked with her to the hallway bathroom. I heard painful groans like Alice had described. I knocked on the door, curiously, “Russell?” I called through the door.

     “Y-yeah!?”

     “Are you-”

     “Aghhhhh!!!” He yelled.

Alice and I looked at each other.

     “Ugghhhhhhhaaaaaahhhhhh!!! Agh! Ugh! Errrah!”

Alice and I jumped.

     “What are you doing!?” I asked.

     “I think those oysters gave me diarrhea, ugh!”

     “Oysters…?” Alice questioned.

     “You mean the oysters you bought at that gas station that was going out of business?” I recalled.

     “Arghhhhh! Yeah!” he replied.

     “Why on earth would you do something like that?” Alice shook her head as she held her hip.

     “They were on clearance for 50 cents, how could I pass that up!?”

     “Wow 50 cents? Definitely worth the diarrhea, Russell,” She ridiculed.

     “Shutup!” Russell barked.

Alice smiled. “Well, I suggest you don’t eat or drink anything until it’s over,” She said, singing the last part.

     “He’s probably not even listening,” I assumed.

We both looked down the dark hallway when we heard the doorbell.

     “Who would come over this late?” She question, a bit scared.

     “Russell, did you call your girlfriend over?” I asked through the door.

     “Maybe? I don’t know? I can’t remember.”

I went downstairs, she followed, to see who it was. She got a heavy pan as a weapon. I stared at her.

    “In Portland Oregon there is a 1 out of 196 chance that we could get robbed, murdered or assaulted,” she stated, explaining herself before I could even say anything.

I shook my head.

     “What?” She asked, irritated.

I turned back to the door and I continued what I was about to do. I opened the door and saw a tall man with blond hair and a suitcase on the other side. “Uncle?”

     “Hey, Kid,” he greeted.

I let him in as I asked, “What are you doing here?”

     “My apartment was so quiet...and I just felt the urge to leave. So I jumped on a plane and here I am, in Virginia. I just needed to get out of California I guess?”

     “Um, Uncle. We’re in Portland, Oregon...” I corrected.

He looked around the room, “Really?”

     “Yeah,” I replied.

     “Oh, guess I got confused with the other brother..." he realized.

     “Uncle Venn, are you okay?” Alice asked.

     “Yeah, I’m just tired... When is your father going to be home?” Uncle asked.

     “They have a 10:30 flight in the morning,” Alice answered.

     “Okay...so I guess we have the house to ourselves then.”

     “I guess...” Alice shrugged.

     “So you guys got any booze?” He asked.

     “...You’re asking 2 minors that?” Alice questioned, tilting her head.

     “Oh, c’mon when I was a minor I still drank... Somehow?”

     “Uncle, you know nobody drinks. Why do you want to drink all of the sudden anyways?” I asked.

Alice turned to me as if I said something dumb.

He blinked slowly, “Whatever... Do you guys still have that empty guest room?” he asked.

     “Yeah. My mother always saves that room for you,” I answered.

     “I guess this is like my second home... Actually my third? Well, I’m going to put this in the guest room that’s kind of mine,” He made his way up stairs, swaying.

     “Weird...?” Alice wondered.

     “What?” I asked.

     “His ‘apartment was too quiet so he jumped on a plane’ in the middle of the night to come here?” She questioned.

     “I guess he’s pretty depressed since Jade left him,” I figured.

I found myself fighting to keep my eyes open. “I guess we’ll get the details when he’s sober tomorrow,” I said as I was walking to the stairs.

     “He’s drunk?” Alice asked.

I stopped and turned to her, “sure seems like it,” I went back upstairs to my room. I fell on my bed and wrapped myself in my blanket. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. As I waited for sleep to cast its spell on me, I heard a giggle. I opened my eyes. Was that Alice? I closed my eyes, forgetting about it. I finally fell asleep, but only to wake up 20 minutes later to more giggles and now talking. I jumped out of bed and followed the voices. I found myself at the top of the stairs trying to identify the voices coming from the kitchen. I walked downstairs and saw Russell’s girlfriend Kelly, my uncle and Russell sitting at the kitchen table playing cards.

     “What are you guys doing?” I asked.

Uncle was in his own world, Kelly was hyper, laughing a lot, Russell was the only person that seemed in his right mind.

Russell turned around, “Just playing cards.”

     “Uncle’s drunk, right?” I asked.

     “Mhm,” Russell replied as he put a card down.

I walked in the kitchen, but stopped when I noticed Uncle crying with his head hanging down. Both Russell and I widened our eyes at him. But then Russell went back to playing cards, trying to ignore the embarrassment. Kelly didn’t even notice.

     “Are you crying?” I asked him, knowing I should have asked a better question.

He grabbed me and began shaking my body, “She left me!!! And at the alter!?” he yelled. He shook me harder, “AHHHHHHEEEEAAAAA!!!” he screamed like he got shot.

     “Uncle! Calm down!” I pleaded as I broke free from his grip.

He covered his face with both hands and wept. Then he got on his knees and looked up, “Why didn’t I get vanilla cake like she wanted!?” Kelly and Russell continued to play cards like nothing was going on.

I knelt to him, “don’t feel bad. Jade wasn’t good for you anyway.”

     “I KNOW, BUT SHE WAS GOOD FOR ME!” He reasoned.

     “…Um, but she kind of wasn’t.”

     “WHY!?” he asked.

I scratched my head, “She kind of just wanted…your money…” I told, honestly.

He wiped his tears, “I KNOW!” he admitted.

     “What?”

     “BUT I LOVE HER!”

     “Can you stop screaming?”

He took a deep breath.

     “Jade sucks you can find someone better than her.”

He wiped his tears, “No, I can’t!”

     “Yeah you can. Your only 32 years old.”

He hung his head down, silently.

     “I’m gonna get you some coffee and food,” I said.

     “Aw... Is he crying?” Kelly asked as she placed her palm on her chest.

I looked at her, “You just now noticed?”

     “I thought he was joking?” she looked at Russell, “What happen?”

Russell and I just stared at her, and then Russell slowly shook his head at her.

     “What?” she asked.

I opened the refrigerator.

     “Is he okay?” She asked.

     “Not really,” I grabbed a sandwich that someone made earlier that day and closed the refrigerator. I went to Uncle, “C’mon, get up,” I said as I pulled him up off the floor and led him to the dining room. I sat him down, putting the sandwich in front of him, “I’ll be right back,” I went to the coffee maker and seen it was empty. Then I remembered, I don’t know how to make coffee...? I grabbed a bag of chips and poured a cup of juice in a glass and went back in the dining room. “Here,” I put the chips and juice in front of him and sat down with him.

     “Do you understand what she did?” he began, “She tricked me!” He took a bite out of the sandwich and then while chewing he took apart the sandwich. “This is me,” he said

as he played with a slice of turkey, “La, la, la, I’m just a guy looking for love.” Then he grabbed a pickle and covered it with turkey, “Hey,” he said in a higher tone, “I’m just a girl looking for love too.” He began playing with both of them, “I love you turkey girl. I love you too turkey guy! Let’s get married turkey girl. Okay!” He placed the 2 slices of bread down beside each other, “These are all the people at our wedding, oh and this one is your father because he's mean,” he put a pepper by the bread. “And here’s me…in front of 350 people, alone at the altar, and then,” he grabbed the pepper, “Your dad comes up to me and says, ‘She’s not coming, I’m sorry,’” He said, making his voice deeper. He held up the pickle covered by the slice of turkey to my face, “Then I realized that the turkey I fell in love with…was just,” he removed the turkey from the pickle, “a pickle.” He threw the pickle. It slapped the wall, then fell to the floor. “And I hate pickles!” He wept.

     “Hang in there Uncle…” was all I could think of to say.

     “I’m going to sleep!” he jumped out of the chair and charged upstairs.

I picked up the plate and brought it to the kitchen sink, “Hey, can you guys not be so loud,” I asked.

     “Yeah, we probably will anyway,” Russell said casually.

     “Great!” I nodded, aggravated. I went back to my bed. I got comfortable and thought of my dream. What a crazy dream... I closed my eyes.



That morning I woke up to Uncle passed out on top of me. I adjusted my eyes.

     “Uncle...get off,” I mumbled.

He began crying in his sleep.

     “Uncle...” I said, getting irritated. I felt something wet cover my arm, “Your drooling on me!” I yelled as I failed to push him off. “Let go!” I struggled.

He continued to hold me tight.

I stopped and realized I was helpless. “Ahhhh!!!” I screamed. “Help!!!” I yelled.

Kelly passed by putting Russell’s jacket on, almost tripping.

     “Kellyyyy!!!” I screamed.

She stopped and looked at me, “I have a job interview to go to! Sorry, Evan,” she said then ran.

     “But I can feel the drool!!!” I screamed. I continued screaming for a while, until I saw Dad walk in my room. His black hair grew out since I last saw him. He was tall and lean, yet built, making the doorway look small. His beady dark brown eyes found me as the head of his straight, thick eyebrows arched down, “What the heck you screaming about, Boy!?” he asked in a assertive tone.

     “Do you not see the big man on top of my body!?”

Dad came closer and tugged on Uncle. His eyebrows softened,  

     “He’s really glued to you,” he realized.

     “Gee you think!?” I shouted.

     “Calm down, will ya?” He walked around the other side of the bed, examining Uncle drooling on me. “Do you know you’re being drooled on?”

     “Yes! I am quite aware of that!”

     “Venn, get up!” He yelled.

Uncle had no response.

     “Hm,” Dad thought of an idea. He grabbed a thick book off my dresser and threw it on Uncle’s head. Uncle woke up with a line of drool from his mouth to my arm.

     “Uncle...” I said in a high tone.

     “Huh?”

     “Please get off me,” I begged.

Uncle got up wiping the drool off his face. I instantly ran in my bathroom, washing my arm vigorously.

He noticed Dad. “Hey, brother,” he waved.

     “What the heck are you doing here?” Dad asked, concerned.

     “Oh, um... I just wanted to see you guys, ya know?”

     “When did you get here?”

     “...I’m assuming last night,” Uncle guessed.

Dad kept his eyes on him for a moment, “You look terrible.”

     “Yeah, I got drunk last night...”

     “Is everything alright?” He asked.

Uncle didn’t reply.

     “...Never mind, just take it easy, okay?” He advised.

     “I will...”

     “Evan,” Dad called.

     “Yeah?” I answered from the bathroom.

     “Your mother bought you some stuff.”

     “Um, okay.”

A few minutes later I went down stairs and seen Alice talking with Mom. My mother was a petite woman with big gray eyes and brown shoulder length hair. She always had a youthful appearance, which always seemed to surprise people when they put together how old she was. Russell's age usually gave that away.

     “It just reminded me of you when I saw it,” Mom smiled warmly, but I noticed she had dark circles around her eyes.

     “It’s really pretty,” Alice looked down at the pink dress she against herself. She looked back up, “Mom?” She said in a curious way.

     “Hm?”

     “I think it’s disrespectful that you would go shopping when grandpa is sick,” Alice said, fearless.

Mom was stunned, “Wow, Alice you really caught me off guard.”

     “I’m sorry, Mom. I guess that was a little mean,” Alice said, intending to sound insincere.

     “It’s alright,” Mom let it slide and turned her attention to the bag on the table. After all she had other things on her mind.

     “I would never disrespect Daddy like that,” Alice mumbled.

Mom slowly turned to Alice, this time with subtle anger, “I guess since Grandpa is feeling better I didn’t feel so depressed anymore so I thought, ‘Hey, my father didn’t die, maybe I should celebrate by buying my children gifts, even though my son is a drug addict and my daughter goes out with too many boys,” Mom offended her back. “So be grateful, Sweetie,” she patted her on the head.

     “Yeah, Alice, be grateful or I’m taking that dress,” I said in a serious tone.

They both looked at me, then my mother began laughing, Alice tried not to smile.

     “I got you something too,” she gave me the plastic bag she was looking in. I looked inside and seen a jar of peanut butter.   

    “Yeah!!!” I threw my fist up and rushed to get a spoon.

    “You freak. No wonder why you’re too skinny and girls hate you. All you eat is peanut butter,” Alice insulted with her left over anger. But I was too busy enjoying the taste of peanut buttery goodness to notice.

     “He’s only 16. He’ll grow,” Mom defended.

     “Yeah he’ll be 7 foot tall and look even better,” Alice said, sarcastically.

     “Hey!” I turned around sharply, “I’m only 6’1!”

     “Yeah and your 90 pounds you scrawny loser!” Alice insulted.

     “139!” I corrected.

     “Ew!” Alice whined.

     “My son has thick light brown hair with big gray eyes and a masculine square jawline!” Mom defended as a joke.

     “Yeah, and don't forget his pointy nose,” Alice rolled her eyes.

     “Shutup!” I barked.

     “You shutup!” She barked back.

     “Alright,” Mom said, firmly.

     “Tell your evil daughter to stop!”

     “Okay, evil daughter stop it.”

     “I’m not evil!”

Dad came downstairs, “Shutup, children,” he commanded, annoyed.

Alice and I both stopped.

     “Venn’s in bad shape. He got drunk and flew here,” Dad informed Mom.

     “You mean he's here!?”

Dad nodded, “He's upstairs now.”

     “Oh, dear...I hope he's alright.”

     “If I see Jade I’ll lecture the heck out of that little girl and if she doesn’t apologize I’ll shoot her in the face with a shot-”

     “Saul,” she ended, “That’s enough, we get the picture.”

     “Right… I just hate women like her. My brother is better off.”

     “It was better that it ended before they got married. She could have taken half of everything he owns,” Mom shrugged.

     “Yeah, I know…I just wish he would have listened to me.”

All of us looked up when we heard a loud thump.

     “Sounds like something heavy?” Alice guessed.

     “Evan, go check on him,” Dad pointed behind himself with his thumb.

So I headed upstairs. “Uncle?” I called throughout the hallway.

     “Yeah?” he answered from his room.

I went to his room and seen him putting on a shirt.

     “Are you okay? We heard something fall.”

     “Oh, yeah, I just got dizzy trying to put this shirt on and kinda stumbled into the wall,” he explained.

     “Are you alright?” I asked.

     “Yeah, I’m fine just hungry...and nauseous.”

     “Do you think you’ll throw up if you eat?” I asked.

     “No, I already threw up last night,” he waved his hand downward.

     “Uh, okay.”

     “Just need some food in my body and I’ll be okay.”

     “What do you feel like eating?”

     “...Mexican food?” he considered, “yeah I’m defiantly craving a taco,” he confirmed. I laughed a little, “tacos in the morning?” I questioned.

     “I really don’t care what time it is. All I know is that I want tacos, man, so don't make fun of me,” he said as he rubbed his throbbing head

     “Okay,” I put my hands up.

     “I’m too dizzy to drive, though,” he said rubbing his eyes.

     “Saul will probably take me,” he hoped.

     “I bet he won’t,” I disagreed.

     “Let’s go see."

We went back down stairs and found Mom and Dad in the living room with Alice, talking.

     “Hi,” Uncle greeted Mom.

     “Oh, hi, Venn,” Mom gave him a kind smile.

Uncle grabbed her and hugged her, then pushed her away to hold her shoulders. “Oh, Anna you look lovely.”

     “Oh, please,” she waved her hand down, “I haven't gotten much sleep and I've been living off hospital vending machines.”

     “But,” he lifted his finger, “That can't take away the beauty from your heart shaped face and rockin' bod,” He narrowed his eyes at Dad, “And you should learn to appreciate all those things!” he pointed.

Dad squeezed the bridge of his nose as he closed his eyes.

Mom patted his arm, that was still holding her shoulder, “he does Venn,” she chuckled. He released her, “Oh.”

     “You should have told us you were coming,” Mom changed the subject.

     “I would have if I knew.” He itched his head.

     “You look sick, are you alright?” she asked, examining him.

     “Just hung over...”

     “Hung over, huh? Well do you need something?” She asked.

     “Just food...”

Mom turned to Dad, “Oh, Saul take him to eat something.”

     “He’s a grown man. He can help himself,” Dad refused.

     “Yeah, but I’m a little too dizzy to drive...”

Everyone looked at Dad. “No,” he said, cruelly.

     “Saul,” Uncle whined, “I’m really hungry. I’ll even pay,” Uncle said.

     “Alright, fine,” he got up from the couch, “But I was never gonna pay anyway.”



The sun began to set and Alice used her only girl, youngest child powers to convince Mom and Dad to go to the grocery store and buy food and a barbecue pit to make a barbecue on the porch in the back yard. It was raining as usual, but we had a roof over our back yard porch.

     “Hey, Kid,” Uncle greeted joining me on the front porch watching the rain.

     “Hey,” I greeted back.

He sat down next to me, “What are you doing on this porch? Everyone is in the back?”

I sighed, “Just waiting for these migraine pills to kick in.”

     “Oh, yeah... Well you could have just lowered the music?”

     “I don't wanna kill the mood for everyone.” I turned to him, “So do you feel better?”

     “Well, I’m still kind of nauseous.”

     “How much did you drink last night?” I asked.

     “I don’t even remember last night or how I got here.”

I laughed, “Are you serious?” He nodded.

     “So what’s the last thing you do remember?”

“Hmm,” he closed one eye as he looked up, “drinking on the plane.”

I laughed again, “So you have no memory of coming to our house?”

“Nope... I feel so dumb coming here like that...” he shook his head.

     “Venn!” Dad barged open the screen door, scaring the life out of Uncle.

     “You’re supposed to be making your famous steak,” He held out an apron to him.

     “I don’t want to,” he turned away from him.

     “Venn! Alice requested it!” Dad yelled.

     “No!” He shouted.

     “Fine,” he shrugged. He began lighting a cigarette.

     “Ah, Saul!” Uncle whined, “Get away from me with that cancer stick,” He complained.

Dad ignored him and continued smoking.

Uncle held his nose. “Hello! I’m nauseous here! Ugh, think I’m going to be sick,” he got up and went in the house.

     “Hey you forgot your apron,” Dad chased him.

      Why can't I stop thinking about that dream...?

     “Evan?” I lifted my head and noticed Mom walking down the drive way with an umbrella and a bag of groceries.

     “Yeah?” I replied.

     “Are you alright?” she asked as she joined me under the roof, closing her umbrella. She took a seat next to me.

     “Yeah.”

     “I know that look. There’s something wrong,” she pointed at me.

     “Uh... Well...” I hesitated, “I, um, had a dream that someone died and it’s been bothering me...” I explained.

She turned the other way, hiding her worried face as she thought of her father. “And you think someone is really going to die?” she questioned.

     “...I don’t know, it was a stupid dream.”

She looked at me, “Sounds scary, though.”

I stared at the thick green grass being coated with fresh rain. “It really was,” I admitted.

     “I feel scared,” she stated, casually as if we had something in common.

I turned to her.

     “I’ve believed in God all my life, but…I feel like something’s missing. It’s been years and it’s been the same. There should be more to God than this, right?”

     “Mom, what are you talking about?” I asked as if she was crazy.

     “It’s like nothings new. I feel like I stopped growing… And I think I stopped a long time ago,” she confessed.

I stared at her, “Why do you feel like that?”

     “I don’t know? Maybe all this time we missed something crucial?”

     “I’m sure we miss a lot of things, but God is still teaching us,” I said.

She put her hand on her chin as she gaze straight ahead, “But that’s the thing. I’m not really learning anything new.”

I scanned her serious expression, trying to understand.

     “I’m tired of trying to help myself. What good am I to God if I spent all my time helping myself and occasionally helping others? And even when I do help others I feel proud of what I’ve done.”

     “So?” I asked.

She turned to me, “That’s pride, Evan.” She twisted her hair and rolled it up in a bun, “But it kinda seems like Christians and even all people promote pride, doesn’t it?” She said as she pinned the bun.

     “Well, I don’t think Christians do?” I disagreed.

     “Look at all the people in the Bible. They gave their life to doing whatever God wanted them to do. They didn’t try to wear the nicest dress or suit to impress people at church and buy a bunch of self-help books and think their doing something for God. All they did was die and cry, breathing their last breath doing the will of God. They suffered for the word of God and everything they put their hands to succeeded. That’s a real Christian and that’s what I wanna be.”

I was trying to form a response in my head, but I was too confused.

     “Well," she got up and went to the door, "I better fix the burgers now. But you know I’m always here for you if you need some help," she placed her hand on the knob.

     “Yeah, I know,” I leaned back.

     “Evan.”

     “Yeah?”

     “Even if someone actually did pass away soon... It's okay.”

I stared at her, not sure what she meant. She flashed a smile then she went back inside the house.



Everyone sat at the dining table covered with food.

     “The food looks wonderful,” Mom held her hands together, pleased.

     “Yeah, thanks!” Uncle barked violently.

     “Let’s eat,” Dad said, ignoring him.

     “Pray,” Alice reminded.

     “Oh, right. Pray over the food, Saul,” Mom pat his shoulder.

Everyone shut their eyes.

     “Lord, Thanks for this food, please don’t let it be diseased or unclean from some lazy farmer that let his farm animals pee freely on the vegetables, and please let those farm animals be well taken care of because we don’t want another mad cow disease coming around again. Thanks for watching out for my family, Amen.”

Everyone looked at Dad.

     “What?” he asked.

     “Lets hope God heard that prayer,” Mom said.

Everyone began eating.

     “I smell hot dogs!?” Russell said from the kitchen.

     “In here!” Dad shouted.

Russell walked in. His muscle shirt inside out and his black hair messy. “Oooh,” he awed.

    “Oh, look who decided to wake up today? Guess you and Kelly partied pretty hard last night, huh?” Alice smirked.

Mom and Dad looked at Russell, “Party?” Dad questioned, his anger about to rise.

     “There was no party. I'm just tired.”

     “Why? Is something wrong?” Mom asked making Dad hold off on his anger.

Russell looked at Alice, “Yes! Actually something is wrong!”

     “Why are you mad about it?” Alice asked with an attitude.

     “Because you're a garbage little girl that always tries to make me look bad in front of our parents!” Russell sat down.

     “What's wrong?” Mom asked.

     “I had the runs pretty bad last night but it pretty much died down today,” He said as he poured some soda into the glass cup in front of him.“But, anyway how’s Grandpa doing?” He asked.

Mom scooped some beans with a spoon, “He’s recovering and staying with your aunt,” Mom answered, gloomily.

The gloom spread to Russell, “I bet it was weird seeing him sick like that?” He imagined.

Mom looked at Russell and found understanding in him, “Yeah,” she said almost excited, “It was hard to see such a strong man so weak.”

     “I would like to see him,” Russell said, reminiscing to himself.

     “He wanted to see all of you kids,” she replied.

Russell and Mom were left with a sad sort of gladness vibe. Russell, being the bad child, was sent away to my grandparents many times. He knew my grandfather better than Alice and I. The 2 were close. Alice on the other hand completely forgot that he even existed. He and I had a decent relationship, though.

    "Is that a pickle?" Mom squinted at the pickle on the carpet.

    "Who would throw a perfectly good pickle on the floor?" Uncle said, shaking his head.

   


Later that night I was having trouble sleeping so I decided to play video games until I felt tired. As I was playing I heard my mother downstairs. I put the remote down and walked halfway down the stairs.

     “You know I’m not the hard core Christian type of guy, but your theory sounds crazy,” Dad said standing across from Mom in the kitchen.

     “It says it! Right here!” She held up the bible to his face.

     “Look. We never heard a pastor teach this before. You can’t think you can outsmart a pastor,” he argued.

     “I thought that too…” she looked to the side.

     “How long have you been up?”

     “I never went to sleep,” she replied.

     “What? It’s 3 in the morning.”

     “I know I just…I knew I was on to something so I had to look for the truth.”

     “What truth? We know the truth already.”

She became disappointed.

He took a deep breath, “I believe you, but maybe we can figure this out together.”

Mom smiled, “You don’t think I’m crazy?”

     “We’ll find out together if you’re crazy or not.”

Mom laughed.

     “C’mon let’s go to sleep,” Dad smiled.

She nodded.

I went back to my room and turned off the game and TV and got in bed.




The next day I decided to see my first cousin Faye. Her mother and mine are sisters. My aunt Jenna is a successful lawyer. Her husband Phillip is a film director, also successful. The 2 were very rich. Faye and her twin brother Alex got everything they wanted their whole lives, not understanding the value of money, but Faye wasn't as spoiled as Alex. Faye had a desire to be a bit more independent, Alex on the other hand lived as if his parents would support him forever. Faye wasn't really that into Christianity. She was far too much of a party girl that loved shopping and food more than anything. 1 time she even broke up with her boyfriend over a hotdog. She had no regrets either.



I found Faye in her big modern kitchen. I was astonished at all the cupcakes covering every inch of counter space.

“Faye...?” I called.

She turned around with an apron around her waist and a spoon in her hand. “Oh, hey, Ev.”

     “...Um,” I worried. I walked up to her and grabbed her hand that was holding the spoon.

     “What are you doing?” she struggled.

     “Give me the spoon,” I said, serenely.

She let go, “I’m cooking here!”

     “That’s what scares me...”

     “Me? Cooking?”

     “Yes.”

     “I guess it isn’t exactly me, huh?” she smirked.

     “It’s really not. What’s wrong with you?” I asked.

Tears and makeup began to leak down her cheeks. “I'm gonna die aloooneee!!!!” She cried.

I chuckled, "You’re not gonna die alone, Crazy.”

Her chin began to quiver, "Dean just called me and broke up with me. I asked him why and he said for some other girl... No 1 else is going to want me!"

I raised an eyebrow, "Dean left you?"

She nodded.

I sighed, "Faye you’re a tall pretty girl that rocks out on drums and electric guitar. And you’re the only girl I seen that looks good with turquoise hair. Trust me you can find someone better than that ugly guy."

She wiped her nose, "You’re not just saying that?"

I shook my head, “I always said you could do better.”

     "You did say that a lot..." She recalled.

Her brown eyes gazed down as she placed her hand on her collar bone "I just...feel so horrible.”

    “Don't worry you’ll be fine," I assured.

     "...I hope."

    "C'mon lets go watch a movie or something," I suggested.

We got a pan of cupcakes and went in Faye’s room to watch TV. Faye’s room was big and nice. She had silk blue curtains, an all white blanket set, with tiny blue skulls print. And thick, white carpet and a pretty good size flat screen TV. Faye’s room was pretty, but also had a punk edge to it. I lied down on her soft bed, while she got the remote and turned off the light. She lied down next to me and turned the TV on. We surfed through the channels.

     “Oh!” I said, “Go back, go back!”

Faye went back a few channels and stopped. “What is this?”

     “It’s the scary movie we wanted to see in theater,” I recognized.

     “Oh, yeah. What was it called again?”

I shrugged. Then I took a bite out of the cute little vanilla cupcake, with milk chocolate frosting and colorful sprinkles. As soon as the cupcake hit my taste buds I stopped chewing.

     “What’s wrong?” Faye asked, alarmed.

I jumped up and rushed out of the room, I barged open the hallway bathroom and spit it out in the toilet. I began coughing.  

    “Ugghha,” I groaned.

I heard the shower on. Is someone in here!? I looked around the bathroom that was bigger than my own bedroom. I seen Alex wearing a towel around his waist. He noticed me on my knees by the toilet.

He looked at me and shook his head. “Why?” he said as if he wasn’t all that surprised.

     “Sorry, Dude,” I said.

     “Were you throwing up?” He asked.

     “No, it’s just-” Faye walked in, “Oh, my, gosh. Did you throw up?”

     “No, your cupcakes tasted terrible, like they were salty?” I explained.

     “Salty?” Faye repeated. She looked at the one in her hand.

I stretched out my hand to her, “Faye don’t,” I warned.

She put the tip of her tongue on the cupcake and instantly grimaced and stuck her tongue out, making a double chin. “Blehh! That is salty! I must have gotten the sugar and salt mixed up,” she realized.

     “I guess that’s what you get for cooking while freaking out,” I said.

     “Faye, Evan, please get out now.” Alex said as he pointed to the door.

     “Geez, sorry,” Faye muttered.

We went back to Faye’s room and began watching TV. I lied there, just thinking. I wasn’t even paying that much attention to the movie.


An hour and a half later I found myself I staring at the credits. “I didn’t think it was that good. What did you think?” I asked her. She didn’t reply. I looked at her. Her eyes were closed and she hugged the pillow. I looked at my phone to see the time. It's 10:30, I should go home. I got up and went downstairs to the front door. I gripped the door knob, but hesitated. It’s so quiet. It was always unusually quiet in Faye’s house. He father was always taking business trips and her mother was always overworking. Faye and Alex basically had a mini mansion to themselves. They always had parties and they never once got caught.

I turned the door knob and walked out. I walked in the crisp spring night, making my way home. I felt something move on my thigh and instantly became startled. I relaxed when I realized it was just my phone vibrating from my pocket. I reached in my pocket and pulled out my cell phone. I looked at the screen. Alice.


I answered it, "yeah, what do you want?"


     "Evan," She breathed out in a wobbly tone.


     "Alice?"


I began to hear her quietly cry. "It's Mom.”


I stopped walking. "...Where are you?"


     "We’re at the St. Jones hospital," She sniffled.


I began walking the other way with speed. “What!? Tell me what happened?”


Alice began to cry even worse, she couldn‘t speak clearly. "I’m on my way," I told her then I hung up the phone.


I ran back to Faye’s house and found the door locked. I began knocking frantically. Faye came from the kitchen to the door and let me in. Her hair was messy and she was eating pudding. "I was just about to call you to see where you went,” she said.

     “Faye, I’m really sorry to bother you but-”

     “Hey, is everything okay?" She asked with a suspicious look.

I looked at her, unsure, "Can you get me to St. Jones hospital?"

She stared at me with a serious expression for a few seconds. Then she went in the kitchen and a minute later she returned with the keys. We got in her car. “So what happen?” she asked.

     “My mother’s in the hospital. That’s all I know.”


When we made it there Faye parked the car. I opened my door and rushed inside.

I ran straight to the front desk where some nurses were. "Can you tell me where Anna Ambler is?" I asked, catching my breath.

     "Evan?" I turned to see who said my name, "Oh, it's you, Uncle. Can you tell me what's going on?" I asked.

He looked at me with pity and sadness of his own. "C'mon, I'll explain everything…" Faye and I followed him down the hall

     "…Your mother walked to the gas station down the road… Some kids walked in and pulled a gun on the employee... The employee pulled out a gun and fired. They hid for cover, but your mother...she was caught in the line of fire...and…"

My worry sky rocketed. "Is she okay!?"

Faye looked down, tears in her eyes. Uncle just looked away without saying a word. I began to feel dizzy and confused. I stopped walking. Uncle stopped and walked up to me, "Listen," he placed his hands on my shoulders, "I know it's hard to take this all in so fast, but we need to find your father...I don't know where he is or what he's...doing...I'm worried."

For some reason I couldn't feel anything. I couldn't feel sad or angry...and somehow that kept me together. "We should just leave him alone...He is probably just freaking out and he obviously wants to do it alone," I said in a flat tone.

He took his hands off me and slowly nodded his head. "Your right, Evan," he said, "C'mon. Alice and Russell are waiting in the truck."

I turned to Faye "...I'm just going to go back home with my family."

     "Sure. Go ahead I'm going to head home too."

I followed Uncle to his truck. I got in the back with Alice. Her eyes were bloodshot. On the drive home nobody said a word. The world passed by through my window, if I looked close enough I could see Alice in the reflection holding a napkin over her mouth, trying her best not to tremble or cry.


When we got home we all went in the living room. Everyone sat down on the couches, staying quiet.

Someone please...please say something, anything. Don’t let this silence linger, please.

Uncle was there for us, which made me kind of mad at Dad. Alice burst into tears. Uncle sat by her and held her, "It's okay...she's in a better place now."

I looked at Russell to see his reaction to all of this. He just crossed his arms with an anger that looked like he was concentrating. I didn't really know how I felt. I couldn't exactly comprehend the fact that my mother was gone. Mom can’t be dead. She was just here a few hours ago. I guess the perfect word for it was shock. The only way I would have believed she was gone is if I saw her body. My eyes widened when I thought of my dream. That's...odd... I shook my head, Just a weird coincidence.



2 days had passed since my mother had died, and during those 2 days I felt restless and confused. I felt like I was in a nightmare I couldn't wake up from. It was just so...depressing.

I was in my room, looking in the mirror trying to fix my tie when I heard a familar low voice from Downstairs. Dad!? I rushed downstairs and there he was. He looked like he been through a lot. His hair all messy, he reeked of cigarettes and alcohol and was missing a shoe.

     "Daddy!" Alice hugged him.

Russell just went upstairs without saying a word. I stood by the stairs and watched.

     "Saul!" Uncle grabbed my father and pulled him outside to talk to him alone on the porch. Alice and I looked at each other and ran upstairs to my room to listen on my balcony. The balcony was right over the front porch. We crept on the balcony.

     "Saul where have you been!? What happen to you!? And why are you missing a shoe!?" Uncle questioned.

     "I'm sorry Venn...I just had to be alone for a while," Dad said, tired.

     "I understand, but it's been 2 days."

     "I just didn't want my kids to see me... I figured it would be worse for them to see me so unstable. That wouldn't help anyone. It never helped us when we used to see Mom and Dad break down. When Anna was pregnant with Russell I promised myself that I wouldn't put my kids through that."

Uncle stood quiet, just looking at his older brother with sorrow.

     "Your dressed in black... I'm guessing you handled everything?" Dad assumed.

Uncle glanced at his own suit. "Yeah. I didn't want you to do anything... C'mon get cleaned up it's in an hour."

They went back in.

     "I wonder what happen to him?" Alice said.

     "I don't want to know," I said.

When everyone was ready we all got in the Hummer and made our way to Mom's funeral. I noticed Russell's eyes were big and bloodshot and he kept rubbing his nose. I looked at him, disappointed. Russell realized that I had noticed. He stopped itching his nose as he hid his face from me, pretending to look out the window.

When we got there we all walked in a room with a lot of chairs and Mom’s coffin. All of our family was there, except my uncle John. He all the way in Virginia. Everyone apologized to us, as if it made a difference. It actually annoyed me. It just felt fake to me. Everyone sat down while Dad and Uncle were talking to the pastor. People started to walk in and the sermon began. I sat there looking at everyone all dressed in black, quietly weeping, quietly suffering or maybe they was just there for the food? Did anyone understand just how terrible this really was? If they did, then they would never understand how bad it was for us, especially my father.

I slowly approached Mom's once alive body, feeling a new kind of sadness build within each step. Finally I was standing over her. She seemed asleep. “Mom...?” I whispered, checking if she was really dead. I gently nudged her hand, but she lay lifeless. Reality dawned on me. My throat started to painfully tighten up as my eyes flooded with hot tears. I stiffly walked quickly to the bathroom where I locked myself in a stall. The tears poured out all over my face. I got on my knees and broke down on the bathroom floor. She's dead... She's actually dead. I kept repeating in my head. I just let the tears come out as I blankly stared at the tile floor. I leaned my head against the door, closing my eyes for a minute as I took a stiff, shaky breath.

     "Evan!" I heard Uncle's voice. "Are you okay!?"

     "Son," Dad said, "open the door."

I took another deep breath. "J-just a min- a minute," I struggled to say.

They stood quiet for a moment.

     "Son...I know you’re in pain, we all are... But pull yourself together before you make a scene."

And that set me off. I felt all self-control slip. I bust open the door, they backed away.

     "What!?" I raised my voice, "Are you serious? Maybe I should disappear and ditch everyone like you! Some father you are!"

And for the first time Dad let his emotions show. The look he had was frightened and grieved. His face made me understand how harmful my words were. I had kicked him when he was already down. I backed away from him and relaxed my shoulders. Self control had returned to me and I realized what I had done.

     "Evan!" Uncle yelled, "you have no right to say that to your father! Especially at a time like this! What’s wrong with you?"

I felt ashamed and immediately regretted my words. The remorse was so great I couldn’t bear it, so I jetted out.

     “Evan!” Faye called as her, Aunt Jenna and Alice noticed me leaving. I ignored her and ran outside. I began to run as fast as I could. I kept running and running I'm not sure how far I ran, but I stopped at a park I never saw before so I'm guessing I ran pretty far.

I sat down on a bench trying to catch my breath as I hung my head down, staring at my shoes. Then I noticed a pair of grungy boots come close to my shoes.

I looked up. Violet? "I know you!" I heard myself say.

Her big green eyes filled with curiosity, just gazing at me. "Are you...okay?" she asked, her voice soft and feminine.

I shook my head, "no, but I seen you around before. Your name is Violet Pane, right?" She looked down, "I guess people talk about me a lot, huh?"

     "...I don't believe what they say if that makes you feel better.”

She smirked, "Thanks...um?"

     "It's Evan."

     "So why do you look so upset?" she asked.

My eyes drifted to a bush behind her, "My mother died…” Those words were words I had to get used to, but they just didn't feel like my own. “I just came from her funeral..."

Violet stood quiet.

     "I'm sorry I'm just not myself right now."

     "I understand..." she nodded as she watched her feet shuffle, then smiled at me, "Hey I want to show you something," she said as if we were good friends for a long time.

     “Huh?”

She began walking away. I got up and followed her.

I always seen Violet around my neighborhood. I thought she was pretty interesting even though I never even said hello to her. I remember when some rumors went around about her. They said she’s a crazy girl that knows Kung Fu and that she had an affair with her step father.

     "I always come here to get away from everyone and just relax... It helps me, so maybe it will help you?" She smiled, "This is it."

I gazed in awe when I saw a huge beautiful tree in the middle of a field.

     "C'mon," She hurried.

I followed.

She sat down under the tree. "Sit, don't worry the grass is dry."

I sat down and took a deep breath and loosened my tie a bit. It felt like reality was slipping away and being with a beautiful girl in a field made me believe that maybe I might be asleep in my room. We sat there and enjoyed the quietness. It started to drizzle, but the huge tree sheltered us from the rain.

     "You know everyone says they hate Portland for the rain, but I love the rain. I never get tired of it."

I began to feel depression make its way deep inside me, making a home in my body, but at least I wasn't alone, at least there was a pretty girl talking about the rain next to me.

     "1 day I'm going to go to Alaska, I think it's beautiful there, but I love it here too. I'm not sure why, but rain comforts me?"

     "You know you have problems when the simplest things comfort you," I said, gloomy. She hugged her knees, "Yeah your right...I do have problems."

I turned sharply at her, "I'm sorry I didn't mean to bring you down."

     "No, you do have a point."

I shook my head to myself. "Hey, Violet?"

     "Hm?"

     "Thank you...I feel a little better," I said.

She smiled, "I told you this place helps.”

I smiled back, "Yeah...you did."

She looked at my arm, "Your shaking." I looked at my arms and hands, "Oh, I'm just hungry…" I lied.

She got a lunch box out of her bag. "Let’s see what I have?" She pulled out half a Turkey sandwich, a small bag of chips, beef jerky, a can soda and an empty cup.

     "Uh, no I'll eat later..."

     "Pick 1," she insisted.

I shook my head "...no, but thanks," I kindly declined. "Why do you carry food around with you?" I asked.

     "I guess it does look a little weird? Well, sometimes I leave home for a day or so. I don't like staying with my family that much..."

My eyes widened, "your family is that bad!?"

She didn't reply.

I decided to change the subject, "Do you live around here or something?"

She started laughing, "No."

     "Wh-what's so funny?" I asked.

     "I'm your neighbor," She chuckled, "Well, I don't live right next to you, but in the same area, like I can walk to your house."

I chuckled with her, "I didn’t know you lived that close?"

     "Yup."

I looked at my hands. It just won’t stop. I tightly folded my arms, hoping it would stop.

     "What is it?"

     "Nothing..."

She got my hand and felt it with hers, "you know eating helps when you’re having a nervous breakdown," she said, casually.

I was surprised at her bluntness. "...The last thing I want to do is eat.”

    "Force yourself and it should help," she determined.

     "You seem to know a lot about nervous breakdowns?" I questioned.

     "Everyone goes through 'em," she shrugged as she flashed a frown.

     "Yeah..." I agreed, then sighed.

     "Your going to be fine," she stated slowly, hoping I would find comfort in her sureness.

    It's like...she knows exactly how I feel? "Thank you..." I said, sincere.

We stood quiet for a while, just enjoying the isolated peace.

     "My family is probably looking for me, I'd better go," I decided.

She nodded, "Okay."

We got up.

     "It was nice meeting you, Evan."

I smirked, "it was nice to meet you too, Violet."

We parted our ways. The funeral is probably already over by now…They're probably waiting for me there… I began walking back to the funeral, planning out my apology to Dad. I know that's what Mom would have wanted me to do....



Alice, Russell, Dad and I found ourselves in a lawyers office. The lawyer walked in, shuffling papers. He sat at his desk. “Here is the will of Anna Ambler,” he began.


“'I would like to start off with my eldest son: Russell, you are the 1 that made me a mother. When I was pregnant with you I was very happy. It was a hard time for your father and I financially and emotionally since my parents didn't approve of our early marriage. When I was pregnant with you your father surprised me with our house. Since we got to have you and the house around the same time I think it is only fair that you should get the house when your father and I are both gone.

Alice, my beautiful daughter. Remember that you are the woman of the family now. I know you're smart and well organized. Whatever you decide to do with your life I know it will be something great. Such an intelligent girl deserves to go to a great school, which is why you're father and I saved up extra money to go to any college you desire. Evan, my only child that inherited my eyes instead of your father's. I always knew his gene was strong, but I guess with you I won. You're so creative and talented. I remember when you first shot a gun. You were 8 and you had a knack for it. Your father was so proud. Since you helped your father and I the most with the gun range and understand how to run it, I'm leaving the gun range to you if your father and I are both gone.

Saul, my husband. In my teen years I experienced some bad relationships. I felt I could never love anyone after my heart had been broken so many times, but you proved that theory wrong. You loved me all the days we spent together. You we're my best friend since kindergarten and I am happy to have spent my life, and have children with you. When I was hopeless and alone and cold hearted you restored me and cured my loneliness. How I love you for that, my dear Saul. I am happy to have had a wonderful husband and children. I am sorry if I ever wronged any of you, but just know that I love you. Stay with God, no matter what, stay with him and follow his word, praying always. If you do these things you'll always turn out okay. I love you all so much, it is hard for me to make you understand that through this letter. My life with you all has made me a very happy woman. Remember that.”








© 2014 EatingWaffles


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

The story is interesting but I did see some problems word choice was off there were times you used the word seen instead of saw and happen instead of happened those are things that can be fixed easily just watch which words you use and how you use them. I find it a little difficult to connect with the characters the dialogue seems a little forced at times even after the death of the mother I still kind of don't feel any emotion but it shows promise don't be discouraged it's interesting and if you fix some things I think it would be really good

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

EatingWaffles

9 Years Ago

Your right. I will try to fix that, but can you tell me why you didn't feel any thing? lol
Rochell Kurwitz

9 Years Ago

Well for one all the way up to the scene where his uncle was laying on top of him I wasn't sure if h.. read more



Reviews

The story is interesting but I did see some problems word choice was off there were times you used the word seen instead of saw and happen instead of happened those are things that can be fixed easily just watch which words you use and how you use them. I find it a little difficult to connect with the characters the dialogue seems a little forced at times even after the death of the mother I still kind of don't feel any emotion but it shows promise don't be discouraged it's interesting and if you fix some things I think it would be really good

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

EatingWaffles

9 Years Ago

Your right. I will try to fix that, but can you tell me why you didn't feel any thing? lol
Rochell Kurwitz

9 Years Ago

Well for one all the way up to the scene where his uncle was laying on top of him I wasn't sure if h.. read more
I read the first section. It was gripping. There were a few grammar errors, and some of the phrasing could be tweaked. But, that's a terrific opening. I'm sorry my old eyes can read that much copy onscreen.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

EatingWaffles

9 Years Ago

Thank you very much. My main worry is that it would be too boring so that is a relief.
MomzillaNC

9 Years Ago

You're welcome.
I only read the first section and it sounds intriguing. A little advice or commentary. First: It's much too long for anyone to sit and read at one time. I found this out the hard way from the first book I posted here.
Take small segments and break them into smaller series with each series having a title. Break each series into short episodes. People are more likely to read and review something short than something so long.
Doing that doesn't mean you'll have any success getting people to review your work, but it might.
Good luck.

Posted 9 Years Ago


EatingWaffles

9 Years Ago

Yeah I was just figuring that out. I will fix It when I get time. Thanks for reading and reviewing!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

210 Views
3 Reviews
Added on August 23, 2014
Last Updated on September 2, 2014
Tags: funerral, death Evan&Violet, funny, drama, family


Author

EatingWaffles
EatingWaffles

Lawrenceville, GA



About
Hey there, I'm 22 years old and I have been writing my story for a really long time. I finally decided to post it online and see what people think. So if you read it, then I will read yours. "Chri.. more..

Writing