2 - A Serious Case Of Mercy

2 - A Serious Case Of Mercy

A Story by Whisty_x

The sun hasn't appeared today.
The fresh morning dew embraces me as I lay close to death on the crisp, December grass. Frozen in a state of shock, the flesh upon my bones starts to quiver. My body is unable to react to the trauma I have encountered tonight. The strength to sit up or stand has been mercilessly taken from me and therefore I lay here, guilt blanketing me... suffocating me. From this day on, I will be shadowed by sorrow as all I have left is a memory of my life, my family, my happiness.
I plead my body to react to my silent commands. 
Visions race through my mind as I glance over towards the now absent family home which has been reduced to ash. Visions of torture, pain and beast-like behaviour. All of this because of one man. A man I came to know and trust, but no longer perceive him as a man: more a deceitful monster. 
"Th.." All sound struggles to exit my parched mouth. "They.. were innocent.." Gradually the words turn to despondent tears. Tears that hurt to cry.
Smoke continues to paint the sky black although the flames have now dissipated and left a large scar on the skin of the earth. 
I watch as my raspy breath creates exquisite swirls of moisture in the wintry air as I exhale. The simplistic beauty distracts my mind for a second before the torture of the real world returns. I try to prevent myself from inhaling as much as possible due to the putrid smell of ash and death. 
The light dims, the earth grows colder, my body slowly slips from the reality of day. 
"Over here!" A disembodied voice cries.
"I think he's still alive!" Says another.
"He's badly burnt. Be careful with him."
"We need to get him some help and quick."
"He won't make it." The voices fade... Silence.

Weightless. My body feels weightless. The pain has gone and an intense wave of euphoria and peace engulf me. A familiar scene presents itself to me. A place I know.. A place I love.. Gradually my eyes adjust and I realise that I am in my garden. It is a warm summers day and everything is beautifully normal. My two sons are over playing on the grass with the dog, chucking a stick for him to fetch. Their laughter is like a symphony to my ears. A smile blesses my face from ear to ear. 
As my eyes continue to venture round my garden, happiness strikes me as I spot my wife sitting on a bench with her back towards me. Her luscious brunette hair cascades down her back and shimmers in the sunlight. I approach her with pride in every step. As I lay my hand gently upon her shoulder, I am astonished to see a new born baby cradled in her mothers arms. A daughter I would have one day come to know. I am overwhelmed with the feeling of love for this new born child. But as I reach down to hold her, the world starts to crumble away. A bright light scotches my eyes and everything around me once again turns to ash. 
I can hear my constant heartbeat.
A burning numbness replaces my skin. I can feel the unrelenting pain of losing my family to injustice once again. I open my eyes but all I see is the black of night. I have lost everything that filled my heart and now my sight also? I willingly raise my hand to the level of my eyes and gently stroke my cheek with my fingertips. A coarse material greets my fingertips. Through frustration and anxiety, I pull the cotton-like material off of my face to reveal the brightness of the sun shining onto my face. I shy away from the beams for they are too strong for my abandoned eyes. 
As I gradually contemplate my surroundings, I catch a glimpse of my newly formed appearance... I am not the man I once was. 

© 2017 Whisty_x


Author's Note

Whisty_x
It is a very rough outline of the back story of the villain character in my upcoming script. It was done pretty quickly so it isn't perfect and there will be errors in there somewhere...
Again, it may be quite boring/bland but it is just for character development reasoning.
Hope you enjoy it and please feedback!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

A very promising story and well written.
Although I have absolutely no experience on the matter, I think this could become a great book.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Whisty_x

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much!
It will play a part in being a script one day, it's just for character de.. read more
Beautiful descriptions from the beginning. It takes talent to write like this and you have plenty of it. Your choice of words and sentence structure is captivating to me.

The ending I didn't see coming and it has me wanting more.

A great skillfull writer you are.

Mark.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Whisty_x

7 Years Ago

Thank you so very much!
I am so glad you enjoyed it and I'm sure there will be more where th.. read more
matrixmark

7 Years Ago

Good to hear that there will be more.

Mark.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

311 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 18, 2017
Last Updated on January 19, 2017
Tags: Villain, Story, Fiction, Descriptive

Author

Whisty_x
Whisty_x

Stratford-Upon-Avon, Warwickshire, United Kingdom



About
Casual writer who mainly uses this platform to express my emotions with a hint of experimentation in writing. I tend to write stylised/absurdist scripts, however I am trying to branch out into oth.. more..

Writing
Granddad Jonathan Granddad Jonathan

A Stage Play by Whisty_x