A New Begining

A New Begining

A Chapter by Michaela Maloney

 

Chapter 5
 
 
                        *                                  *                                  *
 
 
            I woke in the car about noon. Jessica told me I fainted and they had brought me back to the car. I sat up and ate a sandwich I had packed and drank some of my water. I was still in shock from what I saw and had not felt the full effect of what I had lost and I was not sure even what I saw really happened. I asked Jessica if she saw what I saw she hesitated for a few minutes then replied with a yes. I did not know if I should be really sad because someone killed my parents or should I be mad at the person that killed my parents. My body ache all over me figured that it was because I hit the ground so hard. I started to cry then remembered that people could still see me because the car was not parked to far from the town. I asked Michael and Jessica if we could go back to the house and Michael turned on the car and we went back to the house.
 
 
                        *                                  *                                  *
 
I made it half way to my room before I started to cry. I could not believe what had happened. I wanted to be surprised but not like this.  I was so scared and confused. Jessica eventually came in with Michael behind her. They told me that they were right behind on whatever decision I made. I wiped my eyes and started to think of what to do. I decided I wanted revenge. I did not want to kill the person but I wanted to hurt him bad enough so that he would feel my pain. I did not want to rush this either so I decided we would plan this so precise that there would not be any flaw. I decided that would take a least a week or so to even prepare.   I told them this and they said that they knew a few things that would help me mentally and physically but they said they would wait until tomorrow so that I could grieve some more over their deaths. I went to bed after getting a shower.
 
                        *                                  *                                  *
 
            I went to sleep a few minutes after I went to bed which was really weird because I usually have trouble getting asleep. I thought I was just really tired. I began to dream I was in the woods somewhere up north because it was snowing. I looked around and there was nothing more then trees and a few woodland animals. I started to dance in the snow. I was so happy. The snow reminded me that there was still good in the world. I felt so happy about the snow I started to jump in the air. Then I jumped and I did not land back down. I flew through the air with grace and the feeling of freedom from the world. I felt that all my troubles had just disappeared. I woke as I heard Jessica call my name. I opened my eyes and realized that I was floating three feet over my bed. I screamed and fell back on to my bed. Jessica came running in and I told her I thought I saw a mouse. If she knew me really well she could have figured out that I was lying because I really like rats.
 
 
                                    *                                  *                                  *
 
            I got dressed and made my way down to the kitchen were I found Michael and Jessica. I started to make instant pancakes while Michael told me about the day they had planned while I was asleep. They said that the plans could wait if I did not feel up to it. I told them it was better not to waste time. Even though I really just wanted to crawl into a ball and cry all day I decided that you can not change the past you can only look towards the future. Michael said that I was going to stretch and run to the town and ride back in the car, Michael said Jessica and him were going to drive beside me. I thought in my mind are you kidding me, but I did not say any thing because he was trying to help me. He said I would then have lunch and we would go from there. I almost burnt my pancake at the thought of that run.  Like I said before walking more than a mile is torture, but running five miles is wishing for a miracle to happen. To top it all off I was not in shape which means it would take a lot of energy out of me. I ate about six pancakes when I usually only eat three but I wanted to make sure that I had enough energy. I packed three bottles of water and a sandwich in to my back pack.
 
 
                                    *                                  *                                  *
 
 
            I knew I could not run five miles so I started at a nice jog so that I would not get tired very quickly but I went faster then when I was just walking.   It was cold in the morning and being me, I was out there with only a pair of shorts and a t-shirt on. I started to pick up pace because I was really cold. Then a thought came into my mind why are they not running beside me. Then I realized that they could not change their health status because they were already dead, but I could so I had to run.     
 
 
 
                                    *                                  *                                  *
 
 
About thirty minutes in, I became really tired and started to walk. As I walked I drank half of one of my water bottles. After walking some more, I began to jog again, but at a slower pace then before. I made it to the half point at about ten thirty. They let me rest and eat my sandwich, which tasted like the first food I had in weeks. I rested for about ten minutes. Then I started to run with a burst of energy which caught Michael and Jessica off guard. It was funny to watch them speed up the car to catch me. About one I finally made it to the town I thought I was going to melt away. I laid down next to the dirt road. I did not care about the bugs that might have been crawling on the ground. I laid there for a few minutes before I got back up and got into the car. Michael turned around and drove back to the house. I was so exhausted that it took ten minutes for me to gather enough energy just to get out of the car. I quickly got a shower and met them down at the kitchen.
 
 
                        *                                  *                                  *         
 
I plopped my head on the table as soon as I sat down on one of the chairs. I finally made myself some tomato soup. It was good but not as good as when my mom made it from scratch. I almost cried just thinking about them for that one moment. I felt empty and lost from the rest of the world. We sat there together silently just thinking about things that had happened the previous day. I wanted to discuss it with them but I felt that it would bring very painful memories that I had blocked from my mind. After thirty minutes, Michael said that there was more that they knew then just what I knew. I was about to scold him for keeping information from me but I felt that he thought it was best to wait. I waited silently until he continued.
 
 
                        *                                  *                                  *
 
He said “the school we went to yesterday is one in six schools across the globe. There is one in Georgia, California, London, Romania, and Brazil. Each school teaches different types of people. The school we went to last night teaches Misfits”. “Do you mean people that are deformed like they have three arms” I said as I started making weird impressions. He quickly slapped my hand and told me no. I stopped being silly and listened as he told me more. He said “Misfits are people that do not fit into the other categories because they can do something special. The other categories are ghosts, vampires, werewolves/Lykens, and witches. The witches’ school is located in Georgia that is where your parents worked right?” I paused a few moments thinking about how much my parents lied to me over the years. I eventually said “yes” to his question.     
            
                        *                                  *                                  *
 
Michael told me that I would have to enroll in the school in Georgia. He said I would go there for six years. I thought that it would be forever. He said the first two years count for eleventh and twelfth grades and the other four would count as college. I though how lucky I was the appropriate age. Then it came to the cell phone I could call my grandmother. I started to dial the phone when Michael stopped me. He said if it was one of my relatives they would be dead. I became puzzled and asked why. Jessica said that when a person dies like they did they kill any remaining family members unless they swear their loyalty. She said it prevents family member from trying to avenge them, which was exactly what I was going to do so I though it was kind of ironic. I hate irony. 
 
 
                        *                                  *                                  *
 
I was emotionally blank. It was impossible for me to cry any more. Then it dawned on me that there were six schools yet there were only five categories. I asked “How come there are six schools yet only five categories?” Michael thought about it and replied “the school in California is where every category is taught.”
“Then why don’t I go there?”
  “Because your parents worked in Georgia.”
“But what if they recognize my last name?”
“I did not think of that but what are the odds?”
“They are very high because no has my last name.”
“I guess California could work.”
 “Besides I want a fresh start.”
“Well, we have to get you registered school starts on July first.”
“Why so early?”
“There summer break started on April first.”
“Well, let’s get started.”
 
 
                        *                                  *                                  *
 
 

After that conversation I realized that this was going to be a big step towards being an adult. We sat quietly for a few seconds then Michael told me to go pack my things.  I went to my room and then once again sadness engulfed me. I hated myself for crying I always thought that crying was a sign of weakness unless something really horrible happened. But something horrible did happen, which made it worst because I could not remain strong. Though no one really depended on me I always placed the world on my shoulders, because my parents told me that nothing would happen unless you make it happen. This statement often haunted me when I was in a bad situation or something. Then I was not in a bad situation, but I was not at any position to be happy with my status. When I was packing my suitcase, I promised myself that not only would I avenge my parents but I would make everyone respect me for who I was.



© 2008 Michaela Maloney


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

134 Views
Added on February 20, 2008


Author

Michaela Maloney
Michaela Maloney

Grovetown, GA



About
I love to hear what people think. I love to hear opinions even if they are different from my own. I am here to make friends and enjoy the readings. more..

Writing