The Begining

The Begining

A Chapter by Michaela Maloney

 

I stared at her from across the room. I was spaced out at the time. My fried was talking to me about something I had lost interest in after the first five minutes on the topic. I blame my ADD. She suddenly fell quiet. This is very strange, because she usually never shuts up. I noticed after about five seconds that she had asked me a question.
            “Oh, I’m sorry what was the question?” I questioned trying to sound interested in the topic again.
            The subject of course was always repeated. Boys. My friend, Amanda, would never shut about her boyfriend or really cute guys that she saw. I did not really care for boys. Amanda often got hurt by her boyfriend or was harassed by another. I thought it was ridiculous and did not want to subject myself to such agony.
            “What do you think I should wear tonight?” she remarked sounding very concerned about the choice she was going to make. Yeah, someone will kill you if you don’t match.
            “Where are you going?” I said wishing I had paid more attention.
            “To the mall!”
             “Wear the pink top with the jeans that have the pink sequins,” I declared, putting more thought into the topic then usual.
            Before she could respond, her phone rang. I was relieved to hear that it was her boyfriend, Chad. Chad was the typical dumb jock. He was the type of guy that most girls dream of, but he was all looks and no brains. Amanda started to talk him to death.
            I took this opportunity to sneak away and put up my tray. Today was the one day of the week that Amanda and I went to the cafeteria. The trays reminded me of high school, but college was nothing like it except for the trays. I once dreamed about college and it was nothing like what I had imagined. I kept walking. I stopped in my tracks when I realized that the girl I had been staring at was getting up to put up her tray. I was dreading the thought of meeting her, because I did not want to be called out on staring. I slowed my pace hoping she would keep hers and we would miss each other by a few minutes. It worked.
            After I put up my tray, I went to the bathroom to calm my nerves. I breathed a little easier now that I was out of the crowded cafeteria. I hate crowds. My heart stopped when she was standing in front of me looking in the mirror. I casually walked to the sink beside her. I washed my hands keeping my eyes down to prevent our eyes from meeting. She handed me a paper towel, which surprised me, and I jerked.
            “Oh, thanks,” I replied nervous that contact had been made.
            “You really shouldn’t stare,” she stated with a comforting smile.
            This made me feel better. A small part of me thought she would bring upon my early demise. I smiled wearily. I was about to leave when she locked me in the bathroom with her. I started to back away, but because of my poor navigation skills, I was cornered in a minute. Where’s my map at a time like this?
            I owned pepper spray, but I left at the table thinking that nothing could happen to cause such a life-threatening event to occur in a college cafeteria. She walked towards me slow and calm. I started to think she was the mass murderer that was at large in the city. The police would never suspect a college girl to be the culprit. I closed my eyes hoping that she would be merciful and kill me quick. She was close enough from me to be able to smell her strawberry perfume. I could feel her breath as her lips brushed against mine to find their resting place on my check.
            “I’ll see you tomorrow, Alex,” she whispered in a sweet seductive tone and left.
            I was frozen she had given me the kiss of death and I had not fallen, yet. It took me five minutes to regain my calm attitude that I had had earlier that day. When I finally came back to earth, Amanda was staring at me, afraid to touch me. She had never seen me so tense. Once my mind registered that I was indeed alive and that she had not killed me, I quickly made up a lie to convince Amanda with.
            “What happened? Why are you so tense? Are you okay? Can I help?” she blurted not wanting to wait for the answers.
            “I saw a large spider.” I muttered.
            She was convinced by my lie in a second. I knew she was terrified by spiders like an elephant is afraid of a mouse. She understood my reaction and was in a hurry to leave because of the thought that the spider might possibly return. I was comforted by her urge to leave because I would not have to answer any more questions.
            After we went out of the building, we went our separate ways for the night. When I reached my apartment, I realized I would have to meet her again. There were too many questions left unanswered. I would have to confront her with all of my courage and demand to know an explanation. I would have to fight or lie to Amanda so that I could go to the cafeteria.
            I had been taught that only a man and a woman could go together and this new occurrence disturbed me, because she was a woman and so was I. My mind was puzzled with the inability to grasp the concept of two women going together. I know I had hated talking about boys, but that only meant that I hated discussing such a personal topic. I had plans to meet a guy later on in life when I had completed college and was successful. She had thrown me completely off track and to make matters worse I did not even know her name. My head began to hurt to the degree where I could only lie on my bed. I soon drifted into a deep unconsciousness.
            I woke with my heart pounding in my ears. I had a nightmare, which was very strange, because I never had nightmares. In this nightmare, I was traveling down a hallway that seemed to have no end. There doors on either sides of me, but none would open. I thought that I was supposed to keep walking, until a separate hallway came up on my right. There were two doors one on each side of me. The door to my right was black and had the appearance that age had taken its toll. The one on my left was white and looked as if it was brand new. The doors began to disappear and I quickly opened the black door and stepped through it. I wished I could have gone back, because the door led me to the wrong side of town. The part where no girl is supposed to go alone and it was even nighttime now, which made things worse. I turned to go back trough but the door was gone. I started to walk down the alley very cautious. There were suppose to gangs down in this part of the town and they were not the friendliest of people. Then I saw her, she had black hair pulled back into a ponytail with green eyes and a face of an angel, she was the girl from the cafeteria, but I did not recognize her then. She was smiling a grand smile at the sight of me. I ran to her hoping she knew more than I, but before I could reach her, a look of horror crossed her face. I looked around hoping to see what was making my angel horrified. I saw nothing until I looked down and saw a hole where my once beating heart was. Then I woke with a shudder grabbing at my chest searching for hole. I finally realized that it was just a dream and let go of my chest.
            I looked at the clock and it was eight o’clock at night. I quickly arose, because I remembered that I had an essay due the next day, which was only half finished. I started my computer, before I heated up a can of soup, which was the easiest for a college student to make and did not cost much so it did not hurt my budget. I worked diligently after I finished my soup, but it was very difficult to concentrate, because the dream haunted me so. After I finished, I quickly went to bed, because I had to wake early to go to school again.
            I woke refreshed and with no new dreams. I was relieved that I was moving quicker then usual and would have enough time to drive to Stewie’s, which had the best harsh browns that you could buy. I was tying my shoes, when the doorbell rang. I quickly went to the door to open it. There she stood my angel or more commonly know as the girl from the lunchroom.
            “Hi, Alex” she said warmly.
            “Hi, what are you going here?” I said I little dumbstruck wondering if I had agreed to this.
            “I was wondering if we could spend the day together. I did not come too early did I?”
            “I am sorry to damper your plans, but I have to go to school today.”
            “No, you do not have to, because the school is shut down because of a gang threat.”
            “What?”
            “There was a gang threat at the school this morning so they closed the campus.”
            “Oh, but then how do you know I live here?”
            “I have a friend that lives down the hall from you.”
            “Oh,” I was hoping to avoid contact with her until lunch, but now since school was canceled I was going to have to take her up on her offer. I did not want to be rude.
            “I guess I can come then, but let me grab a few things before we go.”
            I grabbed my cell phone and wallet, then returned to the door. She grabbed my hand to hold it and in return, I blushed. We walked down the stairs holding hands in silence. When we reached, the doors that led outside, my curiosity could not contain itself, so I blurted, “What is your name?”
            She turned to me with no ounce of sadness on her face at the thought that I did not know her name.

            “My name is Sky,” She answered as if waiting for me to ask the question



© 2008 Michaela Maloney


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

great story!!!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

95 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 20, 2008


Author

Michaela Maloney
Michaela Maloney

Grovetown, GA



About
I love to hear what people think. I love to hear opinions even if they are different from my own. I am here to make friends and enjoy the readings. more..

Writing