'' Moribund'' ''Death in the Afternoon''

'' Moribund'' ''Death in the Afternoon''

A Story by Will Neill
"

This story is a dramatisation of the hour following the fatal shooting of John Fitzgerald Kennedy-The president of the United States in 1963.

"

'' Moribund''

''Death in the Afternoon''





      1.00 pm Parkland Hospital Trauma Room #1 Texas, November 22 1963


'' Ladies And Gentlemen, the President of the United States is Dead''

Dr Malcolm Perry's clearly emotional voice stunned the room into a dead silence, '' You may now give the last rites Father'' he motioned to Oscar Huber who had been lead in seconds before. Perry stepped to one side of the operating table and removed his blood covered gloves and surgical mask. Muted crying could be heard from the small crowd of nurses and doctors in the cramped theater.

Dr Kemp Clarke who had vigorously attempted chest depressions and heart massage on the president during the professors tracheotomy patted Perry on the shoulder and added a comforting nod, he spoke quietly to him and reassured Perry there was nothing more they could have done. The chief of surgery Tom Shires broke the uneasy quiet ''Thank you every one who did their very best in what has been traumatic shock to us all, but I am absolutely sure he never knew what hit him''

''We never had any hope of saving his life'' Perry finished . Shires agreed with a silent head shake, '' Now let us all leave for a moment while the Reverend Huber concludes his prayers'' he said, before pointing at the doors.

Slowly the room began to empty as ordered, most left without question, all looking back towards the dead president except for three men in black suits and matching tie's. Special agents Roy Kellerman, the Presidents personal body guard who had been sitting in front of the Limo less than 35 minutes ago, along with special agents Clint Hill and William Greer who had been driving. None of whom made any motion towards leaving.

All three shifted uneasy on their feet and whispered continuously among themselves as the crowd thinned out, Perry noticed their mercurial body language taking a mental note in case it would be important later.


Kellerman was the senior agent of the three both in age and rank, a tall thin framed man with slicked back salt n pepper hair, and perse lips that finished into a scowl face. His eyes moved rapidly continuously scanning the room and of those choosing to remain. Perry began to feel nervous he could see Kellerman was already making advances towards him flanked by Greer and Hill. Perry became aware of a forced smile forming on Kellerman as both men came face to face, his limp right hand offered out stretched in advance. Perry reluctantly shook it and immediately regretted his decision, Greer and Hill moved into left and right positions square on Perry.

Neither men made any facial expressions, both seemed devoid of any emotions. Kellermans hand felt cold and damp. Instinctively Kellerman turned Perry away from any on lookers by sliding his arm around his shoulder, he could feel the bulk of steel in his ribs holstered under the agents coat.

'' Dr Perry'' Kellerman began in a low tone '' First of all let me say what a brave effort all your team made in trying to save our much loved President, sadly all was in vain. However we must now attend to the matters in hand. There will of course be an autopsy later but in your opinion was he dead on arrival''

Perry looked to him and to the men who still flanked him, Kellermans strained smile still looked unnatural.

'' I believe he was moribund, yes'' he answered.

Perry watched uneasily as Kellerman flexed his fingers and drew his thumbs into the waistband of his trousers, he could smell the reek of camel cigarettes off his jacket congealed with cheap after shave. He wanted to gag but managed to hold it back.

'' You must understand that this is now a very sensitive situation Doctor Perry, and one I intend to take charge off''

''Of course but-''

Kellerman's smile faded before he interrupted. '' In your professional capacity Doctor could you say in which direction the head shot came from, now please think carefully before you answer''

'' I think it's quite obvious taking into consideration the Presidents skull has an exit wound the size of a fist to the back that he was undoubtedly hit from the front''

'' And the throat wound?''

'' Beyond question from the same Direction''

'' I see, I see, Dr Perry your quite sure of that''

'' I am a professor of surgery at UT Southwestern and Vascular Surgeon here at Parkland-I think I am well educated enough to know a bullets trajectory, wouldn’t you say agent Kellerman''

Kellermans forced smile returned briefly before he spoke again '' Yes of course, I do not doubt your expertise and credentials professor but I distinctly heard three shots being fired from behind me''

'' The evidence does not lie agent Kellerman, and I shall submit that in my report you do understand my position''

Perry could see that all three agents were slowly becoming agitated the longer the conversation was lasting, this made him feel uncomfortable. From behind him he was now aware that Father Huber had finished his ceremony, Perry seen his opportunity to remove himself '' Excuse me gentlemen'' he offered with a nod '' I must attend to the president''

He never noticed that Kellerman tried to grasp his arm just as he turned to go but missed '' Dr Perry!'' he shouted after him

'' I would like the Presidents clothes'' his unnatural smile had once again germinated this time it looked more menacing '' Could you arrange that as soon as you can''

Perry glanced back '' I'll see what I can do'' he replied then looked up at the rooms wall clock, it was 1. 21 pm.


The Reverend Father Oscar Huber kissed his mauve stole, replaced the white sheet over President Kennedy's face and arranged it in his small brown leather holder along with his cruet of holy oil. He rolled it up and tied it off with two well worn laces. A naturally nervous man and one that preferred the quietness of his chapel Huber hated the fact he would be now thrown into a media circus that had been gathering outside the hospital.

Only a short time ago he was excited that a president of the United States would be passing by his church, he had stood on his tiptoes just to catch a glimpse of the first catholic president. At only five feet five inches tall he had thought that he had seen his clerical collar and waved to him. It was while he was having lunch that he was instructed to go to his death bed. Now here he was looking on as his wife Jacky was kissing his bloody forehead. He had been impressed by her composure through out his anointing. Sorrow and consternation bowed the heads of all present, only this compared to the sadness he felt when he had to administer to his own Father and Mother. A tall man with dark wavy hair and square shoulders was now approaching him, his white coat had blood splatters just below it's pockets and on its cuffs. He recognized him as Dr Perry, he could see he was being followed closely by a young man in a gray suit and black tie. Perry grasped his hand and placed his other on his shoulder with out losing pace as he passed by pushing through ''Thank you Father'' was all he said.

The younger man following however stopped briefly and spoke with authority to him, in a way he could only describe as threatening. '' Just remember Father'' he had said '' You know nothing'' the same man ushered him out into the corridor, and asked him to leave.

Malcolm (Mac) Kilduff was making his way to another room were vice president Lyndon Johnson was waiting, it was his role as acting press secretary to the White House to make sure what the media reported, the fall out needed to be controlled and etiquette closely followed. He was sweating copiously and overwhelmed by the shear number of people gathered in such a small area. Mostly he had argued with security and had voiced his opinion of the lack luster attitude they were now taking. '' How could this have happened!'' he had screamed at agent Kellerman after the annunciation Dr Perry had made. ''Jesus f*****g Christ, you’re supposed to take the bullet, that’s your f*****g job!'' and now he had just admonished a priest, god dam it.

Mac took a deep breath before he entered the room, Johnson and his wife were seated smoking at a small teak coffee table littered with papers and cigarette stubs. Two C.I.A agents stood guard either side of them.

'' Mr President, Sir'' he began ''I have to announce the death of President Kennedy'' Johnson and his wife rose to their feet. '' Is it O.K if we make the announcement now sir'' his voice was faltering with emotion.

Johnson's demeanor began to change as Mac waited for his reply, he seem agitated, nervous.

'' Mac, we must delay giving any statements''

Kilduff was confused, ''Mr President, Sir?''

'' I've got to get out of here, wait until I have left the building before you talk to the press''

''I don't understand sir'' Mac replied

Johnson lit a cigarette and began shaking his finger at Kilduff, ''This could be a world wide conspiracy Mac, they could be after me as well, hell they may be after Senator Hayden or even the speaker John McCormack.

We just don't know, better to be cautious. Wouldn’t you agree?

Mac Nodded in agreement '' Yes sir, I understand''

''Good man Mac, now show me a back door''

Kilduff lead the Vice President and his wife accompanied by the two agents out towards the Ambulance Arrival area along a side corridor, no one noticed them get into a small white unmarked Ford Sudan. The press had frenzied themselves around Father Huber who looked stressed and anxious by all the attention. Mac checked his watch after the car left, it was 1.31pm, he made his way back along the same route to a Nurses class room were the invited media had been waiting, at 1.33pm he entered. The waiting reporters and T.V crews burst into a frenetic disorder of questions and flashing camera's. Mac took a deep breath and raised both his hands to gain composure . ''Ladies and Gentlemen Please!'' an uneasy silence returned when he spoke.

'' President John F. Kennedy died at approximately 1:00 CST today, here in Dallas. He died of a gunshot wound to the brain. I have no other details regarding the assassination of the president.''


Once more the room erupted into a wave of flash bulbs and shouting.

One reporter asked '' Do you know who the shooter was''

Obviously precarious Mac answered that he had no information on that

Another asked if Mrs Kennedy was hit he replied '' Mrs Kennedy was not hit, Governor Connolly was hit he was shot twice, once in the side and once in the wrist, the vice president Johnson was not hit. President Kennedy was shot once in the head'' he raised his right hand and indicated the position on his own forehead.


Clearly shaken by the shear volume of questions being asked Mac suggested that all should remain in the class room for further updates. When asked about Johnson’s whereabouts he refused to elaborate, citing his personal security.

By 1.50 pm Mac indicated to President Kennedy’s special assistant Ken O'Donnell that the interview was now concluded, dubbed as one of the ''Irish Mafia'' Ken (Kenny) O' Donnell who had been standing by the door immediately took charge of the room. Kenny was dressed in his familiar dark suit and tie matching his thick black cropped hair. His dead pan looks and stern demeanor allowed him to quickly take control. He was well known by most of the press as a firm but fair man, if he wanted you to know you did, if not you knew as well. Both men left the still buzzing reporters and T.V crews who by now were well into conveying their news reports to their downtown offices.

They made their way back towards the trauma room along a narrow corridor that was lined with more media, security agents, C.I.A, F.B.I, running nurses and solemn looking doctors in white coats and green operating room overalls. Each trapped in their own little bubble, a time they would remember for the rest of their lives.

From outside the door they could hear raised voices, people were arguing, Kenny could hear the faint sobbing of a woman crying, '' What the hell is going on in there'' he said to Kilduff who shrugged his shoulders in disbelief. '' Sounds like we better get in there and quick'' he replied. Mac opened the door, an explosion of voices reverberated off the tiled walls. Inside five men in black standard F.B.I suits were squaring up to weapon brandishing secret service agents, medical examiner Dr Earl Rose along with some parkland Doctors and a justice of the peace were venting their anger. '' Whats going on'' O’Donnell demanded, a flurry of shouting detonated at his remark. '' Calm down!'' he shouted again. For a moment an uneasy quite descended on the room

Dr Earl Rose spoke up '' We have just been informed that they have caught the shooter'' Mac looked at O'Donnell with his eyes wide, '' When'' Kenny asked him

'' About 1.55 we were told''

'' Where?''

Rose shook his head

''Do we know who?''

Again Rose indicated he didn’t know.

Kenny O'Donnell burst into frustration '' Jesus f*****g Christ'' he lets go, ''does any one know anything around here, what sort of a piss pot operation is being run for Christs sake!'' he pauses for breath and for some one to explain. Then Dr Rose drops another bombshell.

'' They want to remove the body'' he says

O'Donnell feels the blood drain from his face by what Rose has just said, for a moment nausea wells up in his stomach. Tension swells into his temples making him blink repeatedly, '' What did you just say?''

'' These four guy's'' Rose points to the standard Secret Service suits. '' They say they are under orders to remove the Presidents body''

'' Now just hold on one moment'' he says to Dr Rose, he then turns to the agents who are standing unemotionally on the other side of the cask '' Who told you to move this body, who's orders are you following?'' at first no one answers, then a voice booms from behind the crowd, '' On my orders'' states Admiral Berkeley ,presidents Kennedy's personal physician, clearly enraged as he steps forward.

''This is illegal'' Rose intervenes '' It is against Texas state law, I will not allow it!''

'' The first lady will not leave him'' Berkeley shouts, ''she has asked that he be moved to Air Force one immediately'' Berkeley is now taking charge of the situation quickly and O'Donnell realizes what is happening ''This is the President of the United States there should be some consideration in an event like this'' he orders.

Rose try's to block the movement of the casket by standing in the the doorway along with a policeman.

O'Donnell turns to the Justice of the peace Theron Ward who is unwilling to argue with Rose instead meekly he says he must order an autopsy stating '' There is nothing I can do, any homicide I am bound by Texas law''

Special Agent Kellerman interrupts the heated debate and try’s to reason with Rose and Ward by asking them to relent to the first Lady s wishes, he is met again with a unappeased attitude '' I'm sorry I cant help you'' Ward says timidly '' It shouldn’t take any longer than three or for hours, its just another homicide case as far as I'm concerned''

At this O'Donnell loses his cool and explodes at him instantly enraged by his insouciant attitude..

''Go f**k yourself'' he yells ''We're leaving''

'' These two guys say you cant take the body'' the Policeman says pointing to Ward and Rose''

''Move aside!'' shouts Larry O’Brien moving towards the officer

''Right, that’s it, get the hell out of the way'' Hollers O'Donnell ''Were not staying here 3 minutes, never mind 3 f*****g hours, wheel it out'' he orders.

"The Secret Service men shoulder their way into the patrolman, who wisely capitulates. Rose, overpowered by circumstance, steps out of the way as the casket is wheeled toward the emergency exit, Mrs. Kennedy hurrying alongside, her fingertips touching the bronze finish.

"As they move out toward the waiting hearse, Justice Theron Ward dashes to the nurses station and telephones District Attorney Wade and is stunned to hear him say the same thing he told Earl Rose earlier--he has no objection whatsoever to the removal of the president's body."


Parkland Memorial Hospital 2.07 pm CST-----To be continued: '' The Babushka Documents''


Authors Notes.

In 1963 when the President of the United States John Fitzgerald Kennedy was assassinated I was only six years old. While growing up my Mother had a picture of him hanging on our wall. As I began to understand what happened I became fascinated by the way and the circumstances leading up to and after his murder. I have always believed that if something doesn’t make sense then it can't be true.

While writing this piece I have done quite a bit of research into it all and the inconsistencies are endless. I choose this 1 hour moment in time because I wanted to express just how emotional the tragic event portrayed it self. I hope I have achieved this in so much that you the reader has an insight as to what happened in that 1 hour after the shooting. I have kept it as accurate as possible, but dramatized it purely to tell the story. All the players are real people, the time line is fairly accurate give or take a moment or two.

I have also chosen to extend this story into another chapter '' The Babushka Documents'' which will look at the events after J F K' is removed to Bethesda Navel Hospital, his autopsy and the Warren Commission’s report. I will also look at the photo's and films collected by the Secret Service and F.B.I afterward s. The Babushka Documents will look at the lady who wore the ''Babushka'' head scarf that is seen in the Zapruder film the Orville Nix, Marie Muchmore films. She is seen in all three, but she has never came forward or submitted her pictures. One must ask the question, do they show who actually killed J.F.K. The shooter on the Grassy Knowle ?.

It is my firm belief that Lee Harvey Oswald may have taken the first shot, and missed. But when those involved seen that this had happened then plan B came into force. Oswald soon realized that he was being set up, he was the ultimate ''patsy'' hence the reason he needed to be killed in case he revealed just who ordered the killing.


Will Neill 2014



© 2014 Will Neill


Author's Note

Will Neill
This is a Dramatisation of the hour after the fatal shooting of J.F.Kennedy in Texas 1963 22 November. I hope you enjoy reading my interpration of these events.
All comments very welcome.
Will

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

fascinating. I admit that I only know the bare facts of the tragedy. I read a bit about the assassination a long time ago. will we ever learn the truth?

Posted 9 Years Ago


Will Neill

9 Years Ago

most likely not.
Will
THis is very well written, Will, though you need to clean up some mistakes. I was older than you when this happened, but I know nothing everybody else hasn't speculated on. I saw a dramatization of the few hours after Kennedy died on the History channel.

I personally believe ther was only one shooter, and that was Oswald. Although I'll admit everything that took place looks like a conspiracy...

But I believe in the end it was only stupidity...

Posted 10 Years Ago


Will Neill

10 Years Ago

Thank you for taking the time to read and review Marie, you were the first to do so when I came onto.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

652 Views
3 Reviews
Added on March 11, 2014
Last Updated on March 11, 2014
Tags: jfk, shooting, lee harvey oswald, 1963, murder, texas, book depository, history

Author

Will Neill
Will Neill

belfast, United Kingdom



About
Will Neill is an award winning Irish author, poet and amateur musician; Born in Belfast in the late fifties. Will has established himself as a prolific writer all over the world for both his prose and.. more..

Writing
Lock Down Lock Down

A Story by Will Neill