The Eye of RA

The Eye of RA

A Story by Bill R.
"

I was thinking about sunsets and sunrises, my schedule sometimes lets me see both, so I wrote this as I rode the bus.

"

If there’s one thing I love about my job on overnights, it’s the fact that I leave early enough in the morning and evening to see just about every sunrise and sunset. Two things in my life I look forward to every day. No two are the same and each seems to be more spectacular than the one before.

As I watch them, especially the sunsets, it almost always gives me a sign of how my life is going, as well as a kind of spiritual message from Heaven that all will be fine in the grand scheme of things. A glowing affirmation, if you will, of my Faith and a constant reminder of a better tomorrow, no matter what else is going on around me.

As I was heading into work on the bus the other evening, there were rain clouds over the mountains. The sun was setting, letting off this bright yellow glow through the openings in the clouds with beams of sunlight shooting off in many directions. The sun eventually came to this sliver in the clouds, a long narrow opening, slightly rounded at each end. It formed an almost perfect eye as it became centered. I immediately thought of the ancient Egyptians and wondered, if maybe, at some time, they might have witnessed something similar many thousands of years ago. I know I have a very vivid imagination, but still thought how such a spectacular vision just might have been the beginning of a glorious civilization based on Faith and Worship of the sun. “RA,” the Sun God, which in some respects, still exists to this very day.

I then realized how good I felt after seeing this sunset, my thoughts still pondering “RA,” the words, “Radiant Affirmation, “ then came to mind. It was a perfect description of how I was feeling, and in my mind, an appropriate definition of “RA.” So I thought more about my experience with “Radiant Affirmation” or “RA,” and it made me realize how this glow of the sun through these dark clouds, gave me the sense that this storm was only temporary and tomorrow would be better. So much from a single event, a fleeting moment in time, yet very profound and unforgettable.

Being a fairly Spiritual person anyway, I take such events as messages to me. Symbols of the undying Faith in all of us, that no matter what we are going through in our lives, it is only a temporary situation and things will get better if we only have Faith.

Now I know there are many people who will think I make too much out of these events and experiences, but if we are to survive, we must have something to believe in and a sense of eternal optimism, even during our darkest moments. I believe if you can see hope in the eye of any storm you go through in your life, then you can find the strength to move forward when it finally passes. The “Eye of RA,” the sense of “Radiant Affirmation,” the glimmer of hope to the soul yearning for a better life, and a never-ending Faith to the spirit we all share.

© 2012 Bill R.


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is a really good short story you've got here. I really like your descriptions. I can feel like I'm seeing and feeling what the narrator is experiencing. Towards the end, I feel like the story starts to tell us how and what to feel a little too much, though. Maybe if you could show us, like with the descriptions in the first half, the reader can feel like they are learning the message on their own, rather than being taught it directly. Hope that makes sense. Either way, it was a really nice read, I would look forward to reading an extended version!

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

189 Views
1 Review
Added on March 5, 2012
Last Updated on March 5, 2012

Author

Bill R.
Bill R.

Las Vegas, NV



About
I'm a Writer and an Artist. I live in Las Vegas, Nevada and I work a full time job on top of all the other things I have going on in my life. I love my life, I love Las Vegas, and my Passion is my wri.. more..

Writing
It Just Can't It Just Can't

A Story by Bill R.