Displacement

Displacement

A Story by Amy Whetzell
"

This here's a big chapter in my life; it changed everything! It took some time to remember all the details, and now they never leave.

"

DISPLACEMENT

How possible is it to transfer luck? I'd say very possible and quite easy. 2007 has been a bad year for me and, as the days pass, it gets no better. What you are about to read is heart wrenching, and true. I care not about reviews and/or opinions about this. But in my experience of writing, I find I tend to feel better when I share my burdens with others. As always I appreciate any input but, as I said, I don't really need it this time.

January 28, 2007, 2:00 pm: my mom calls me to see when I'm coming home (I stayed the night at a friend's house the night before). I'm on my way out and she asks me if I can stop by the store for some Texas Pete (she's making her famous cheese dip). 3pm, I have the sauce and I'm on my way home. Traveling on Barber Mill road at 50 mph in a 45mph zone (I had it on cruise control), I approached the moment that would change my life, and my luck as well. Before I could even see the intersection of Barber Mill and Jack roads, I had a flash. I saw me slamming on my brakes. In that instant, I should have slowed my speed to 45mph, just in case; then perhaps I wouldn't have been involved.

I saw the dark red car pulling up to the stop sign, and I saw it keep going. No stop, not even a pause. I saw the beige truck swerve to miss it. I saw the dark red car hit the back of the beige truck (later to be confirmed the car hit the right rear axle{whatever that means}). I saw the truck flip and roll right towards me. As it rolled/flipped towards me, my vision blurred and all I saw was Matthew and Jonny. I saw my mom. Slamming on my brakes, I squeezed my eyes tightly together as the truck hit me. The sound of the brakes on the tar was like a dentist's drill (or was that me?).

Not knowing how much time had passed, I opened my eyes. So tired; I had been awake only a few hours and all I wanted was to sleep. As my eyes got used to my surroundings and the blurry images cleared, I realized my windshield was in my lap (later I would see that the front of my car was gone{smashed in}). People were screaming and someone was shouting at me to get out. The top of my car was a little crushed, and my door would not open. The man kept shouting as I was becoming hysterical, so I shouted back at him, "my door won't open!"

Then everything got quiet (at least, I could no longer hear anything) as I looked to my left and noticed the beige truck. The driver was bleeding from the head and screaming, but I couldn't hear him. All I could see was the back seat, where laid a child. The boy wasn't moving, and people seemed to arguing whether or not to move him. I prayed (which I never do) for him to survive, or to take my soul instead.

My hand burned as if it had been dipped into acid. I felt lightheaded, and drained of all energy. The man who had been shouting at me was pulling on my door, and manager to pull it open halfway. Without thinking, I automatically grabbed my phone and cigarettes. They pulled me out and cautiously walked me around the back of the car to the passenger door, where I stood on the grass.

Without thought, I dialed my mom. I had not seen the front of my car until the moment she answered. It was gone! I stuttered but had yet to cry, "M--Mama, I was just hit. I'm on Barber Mill, at Jack road right at the 55mph sign." She was on her way. She arrived right quickly, as we live only about 6 minutes from the crash site. When she arrived and got to me, I was staring at the where the good samaritans had laid the boy, about 5 feet from me. There was so much blood, too much for 1 child to lose. Then my eyes broke away from him to my mom (whom I can only assume was talking) as she hugged me. That was when the tears began to fall. I was trembling quite fiercely.

The firemen were the first to arrive. I don't remember a lot after this point. I remember a fireman (whose name I never got) speaking to me. His voice began coming in loud and clear, and he had the most beautiful eyes. He was yelling for someone to get a neck brace for me, as he held me at my jaw and shoulders. I vaguely remember taking off my watch because it was adding to the burning sensation of my right hand (which was purple from bruising{and no one seemed concerned about it}). Unable to look at my mom I said simply, "the Texas Pete is in the front right floorboard." And as she came into view, I saw that unforgettable look on her face. The look that said, "like that really matters now."

The ambulances arrived, someone brought over a board (I don't know the right term for it), and the fireman never stopped holding me as they laid me down. The clouds overhead built up quite fast, and rain began to fall. 'Japanese Torture' is what he said after it started, "I know this must be Japanese torture for you, but I need you to keep your eyes open." The rain was her tears. They got me on the board and into the ambulance and the fireman disappeared from my sight. My mom didn't ride with me, but she followed. (It feels like you're going to fall over, when you're strapped to that rolling slab of bed while riding in the ambulance).

After 9 hours of laying on said slab, not to mention a lot of IV's and blood work etc that I've blocked out, they let me go. A truck fell on my car with me inside and I walked away with bruises head to toe and a concussion. That little boy didn't walk away.


Abion Copelin, 9 years old, died January 28, 2007. Adalis Negrin, 19 years old, was charged with misdemeanor death by vehicle. She had no injuries. She should pay for what she caused, but she won't. Adalis had no insurance. I lost my car (totaled) which was worth $6K. I have unpaid medical bills from just that day that add up to more than $10K. Abion Copelin's family not only has medical bills adding up to at least twice my amount, they also had funeral costs. When I left the hospital, I went home and held my boys, realizing that I'm glad I lived. Abion's mother buried him instead of taking him home. It rained that day and night. Tears of joy or sadness, or both perhaps. One of God's children came home. Adalis Negrin should pay for what she did. But instead, as most minorities do, she'll get off with a slap on the wrist and maybe probation. The Yates and Copelin families have bills that will never be pain off; her body and car are still fully intact!!

February 1st, I went back to work. Three days off isn't really sufficient time for muscles that have been stretched too far to heal adequately. I suppose I didn't think it through; my hand didn't hurt too much more than usual (I've had carpal tunnel syndrome in both hands for a few years now).

February 19th, I got a coached with a D-Day because I wasn't working at an acceptable speed. How do you apologize for that which you cannot change or fix?

February 28th, I was terminated from my job at Wal-Mart for defending myself due to another cashier's provocation. I tell you what; I was in total and utter shock!! I looked and looked for another job after 2 ½ years of hard work down the goddamn drain wore off slightly.

In the 2nd week of March, my oldest son broke his arm. I lost what little luck I had, and evidently my family did as well.

April 6th, I got a job at Target; 33 days later it was over. They told me I didn't work fast enough at getting merchandise up on the shelves and perfect to the goddamn T! So, I went back to job hunting. No job, no money no f*****g car (got another car mid-April).

My kids and I would be out on the streets if it were not for my mom. She's got love and patience that each appears limitless.

August 4th had a job at Dairy Queen; it ended August 7th. August 15th, I began working at a life insurance company; it last until Sept 25th. Sept 28th, I started working @ Murphy's gas station; I pray the Gods above for the strength to do great, so that I can support my kids and relieve this great load on my wallet called debt.

Adalis Negrin, I know where she lives. I drive passed her address nearly everyday. It takes all my strength not to stop, because everyday I travel the part of Barber Mill Road where lives were turned upside down and little boy never woke up.

© 2011 Amy Whetzell


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

You pack a powerful punch honey. I hope it was cathartic for you to write this out. You have created imagery that will probably not leave me but that is so insignificant to to the imprint it left on you.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow. That's absolutely horrible.
You definitely painted a strong mental picture of the events that occurred. Good writing, but I'm sorry it had to be such a sad topic.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

329 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 13, 2008
Last Updated on September 21, 2011

Author

Amy Whetzell
Amy Whetzell

Garner, NC



About
~don't worry; it's temporary~ more..

Writing