A labyrinth with a single voice

A labyrinth with a single voice

A Story by Winwin4ever
"

A young soldier and a middle-aged common man contemplate of ending their pain in the early hours of morning. Despite different circumstances, they face the same emotions and meet dire ends.

"

The foot soldier stands. Soft dirt stains his Bates Combat Boots and he takes a single step forward, onto the edge of the precipice. He is but important he thinks, a pitiful soldier of millions in the forward march of time.


The commoner contemplates. His hand reaches into the medicine cabinet, reaching out with hesitance. He knows there is no turning back, but the thought crosses his mind yet again. He knows not one will cry out in maudlin sorrow. He knows he is just one is seven billion who will never amount to anything. 


His legs shake uncontrollably in green camouflage khakis lacking a gallant glamour commonplace with military uniforms, but he refuses to sit. He, who spends each day teetering on the edge of mortality, is now there by his own choice. It may have been the brusque verbal abuse given by his superiors or the psychologically deleterious actions of those around him, but it is he who took a step forward. He knows passing will not be at the mercurial war front where he knows he may die without a moment’s notice. 


He threatens to cross the forbidden line with little regard.


The red sun rises in the stagnant sky. Trees whistle in the gale. Pink clouds with golden light flow slowly like a brook in the frozen, yet sparking sky. Perhaps it is the impression that there is so much beauty in the world that causes this deadening pain, this sinking heart. Perhaps it is the knowing that no matter how beautiful the world may be, it is impossible to see when met with the pernicious. 


No amount of begging will materialize a seraphic savior. In real life there are no omniscient deities. No angels willing to step down from their godly throne and lay eyes upon mere man despite the cry of help in dire pain. 


Suddenly, it seems, the innocuous has become the demonic. The innocent is dark and brutal and laden with sickness and threat. Or perhaps, it was always like this. 


The moment he fell prey to the unforgivable loneliness, he had guaranteed an eternity in hell. A hell not among Dante’s Infernos. A hell not with the pain of icy rain, shards of ice stained with red blood. Rather, a hell in Daedalus’s Labyrinth. Trapped in an inescapable maze of his own creation. Trapped in the prison of his own mind with no means of freedom. 


There may be no route to freedom, but a means of temporary relief. 


The foot soldier watches at the edge of the precipice. His feet finally drop landing on the dirt. It is almost cathartic, the sensation of no longer needing to hold his own weight. His epaulettes gleam in the morning sun, a signal of rebirth. 


The common man watches, the window drawn open and shades pulled aside. His hands lingers and pulls the bottle out. With shaking fingers he downs the pills with a gulp, knowing of his impending doom, his certain end. 


His last thought is of the Afterlife. The certainty that whatever after cannot possibly be worse that the present. With a last gasping breath, he passes on. 


The foot soldier reflects on that old adage. His predecessor often repeated it, "Red sky at night, sailor's delight. Red sky in morning, sailor's warning.” The sky displays an orange-pink, nearing the color of coral. A storm is incoming. Even whilst there is truth in such reality, he need not to fall within the tempest. Rather he can swerve past this maelstrom in the great cesspool of life, even though it may be only to face another eddy. 


With a weight few have to bear, he leaves the precipice only to come again another day. 

© 2021 Winwin4ever


Author's Note

Winwin4ever
I’d love some feedback. I wrote this as if I had no choice but to. It was a lot of fun to write it as it always is to write.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

(With a weight few have to bear, he leaves the precipice only to come again another day.) You've written this as though at one time you may have faced these particular demons that tempt people to end their lives. Very intense emotions. I enjoyed this muchly! ~Sharon









Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Winwin4ever

3 Years Ago

Thank you for replying, I haven’t had first hand experience but it is fun to write this stuff for .. read more



Reviews

(With a weight few have to bear, he leaves the precipice only to come again another day.) You've written this as though at one time you may have faced these particular demons that tempt people to end their lives. Very intense emotions. I enjoyed this muchly! ~Sharon









Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Winwin4ever

3 Years Ago

Thank you for replying, I haven’t had first hand experience but it is fun to write this stuff for .. read more
I love the way it was written! I re-read several times, and maybe I'm just a bad reviewer, but I couldn't think of any criticism as of now! The details and way it was written are so detailed and it gives you that dark, somber and heavy feeling, right in your heart. I love, love, love the title too. It draws you in and pulls you into wanting to read the story and I'm so glad I did.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Winwin4ever

3 Years Ago

Thank you for reviewing on my works! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I will be posting another story tod.. read more
Vertigo Cat1111

3 Years Ago

I can't wait to read it! And collabing on a story is actually a very smart and fun idea!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

91 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 22, 2021
Last Updated on March 22, 2021

Author

Winwin4ever
Winwin4ever

Greenwich, CT



About
Passionate golfer and holding a slight interest in writing at this time more..

Writing