Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Alexandra (Alex)


I snapped awake, because someone was jumping on my bed. A breeze blew in through the window. I shivered, and opened my eyes to see my sister, Aleksandra, shaking me.

“Niki! Get up!” Alek was yelling. “Mom says we need to get out before the Metel hits.” She told me, running out.

I sighed. I checked my watch, and saw it was 4:30 am. 4:30!?! I’d slept in. Slept in too late. The Metel was coming, and I would be stuck. The consequence for missing school wasn’t pleasant. The rules however, had kept them all alive, I reminded myself as I got dressed and ran downstairs.

“Mom!” I shouted, looking around. It was dark, and Mother had forgotten to light the candles. That meant one of two things. Either Mother was dead, or she got drunk again. “Mother!” I shouted loudly.

“Leave your mother alone. I’ve got a killer headache, Nikolai.” A female voice yelled, and snoring was heard.

I stopped myself from screaming harsh things, and then grabbed my jacket, a thick heavy one, just in case we got locked out. Which usually happened.

“Alek! Come on!” I shouted, and Aleksandra came running, her coat going down to her knees.

“I’m ready, Niki!” Alek promised, and I smiled.

“Go outside Aleksandra. I need to get something.” I said softly, and Alek grinned, and the seven-year-old ran outside.

“Mother, we’re going to school.” I said loudly.

“I know! Now leave me be.” Mother snapped.

“I hate you.” I said quietly.

“I do too. Now go! I don’t want to fill out another curfew-missed form!” Mother snarled, and I ran out.

“C’mon Alek. We gotta go to school. Don’t want to be stuck out during another Metel.” I grabbed her hand, leading her through the streets. The city was abandoned practically, the ground covered with stale snow that would never melt. The icy wind was cutting through their coats, but the city had a large drift that created the Metels, which tried to destroy everything in their paths. In the old continents, they would call them ‘Ice Tornados’, but the Metels were much worse. Much worse- My thought was cut off by the sound of sirens screaming.

“Alek!” I yelled, and grabbed her wrist again and ran. We ran towards the school, where the metal doors were closing. I ran under just in time, dragging Alek under too.

“Attention all Kiketown K through twelve students, the doors are now closed due to the upcoming Metel, and you have five minutes to get your injection, take your health test, and  reach your next class. Thank you for your cooperation.” The Voice said over the speakers, and Alek immediately hugged me and ran off, towards her section of the school. I walked over to my section, and my best friend Leonid came running.

“Niki!” He yelled, tackling me.

“Hi Leo! Ribs!” I squeaked, and he loosened his grip.

I’d better explain. Leo and I, we’re opposites look-wise. I have gray eyes and black hair, he has blond hair and blue eyes. I was skinny and boney, he was muscled and strong. We’d met by when we missed the doors shut, our first Metel outside of borders. I shivered slightly at the thought.

“You get your injects yet?” Leo asked, shaking me.

“No. Just got here with Alek.” I told him.

“You’ve got five minutes!” Leo shouted. He may look big and tough, but he’s a three-year-old on the inside.

“I know Leo. If you’d let go, I’d be able to get it faster.” I said patiently.

“Oh! Right!” Leo let go of me, and I darted off.

“Attention all Kiketown students; the injections station will close in three minutes.” The ‘Voice’ announced, and I ran faster, and skidded to stop, running into Jakeob, the school bully.

“Watch it, Miki!” Jakeob snapped, and shoved me to the ground.

“Great to see you too, Jake.” I mumbled to myself, and went into a vacant room.

“Name, Birthday, Parents, Section, Age, House ID.” The man inside said, and I sighed.

“Nikolai Jerriak. November Eighteenth. Eliza and Joseph Jerriak. Section Fourteen. I am thirteen years old, house ID; Seven Nine Four Five Eight” I ran through the answers.

“Injection number forty-five for you.” The man murmured, and I felt a needle press into my skin. I flinched slightly, and the man huffed with frustration.

“You have been doing this for seven years, you can do it for five more.” He said, then opened the door. “Get out of here.”

“Thank you sir.” I smiled slightly, and ran out. I sprinted to class, not having time to go to my locker.

“-Assignment is to read the text and answer the questions, but you cannot look back at the passage to find the answers.” I ran in just as the teacher was explaining the assignment.

“Nikolai, you are late.” She scolded.

“I am sorry for being late.” I said automatically, and internally frowned. I didn’t want to say that. It’s the injections. It has to be. I realized, but then it felt as my brain shut down, and the day flew by.

“Niki!” Leonid shouted at the end of the day, and I looked at him, the injection wearing off.

“Yes Leo?” I asked, sighing.

“Whatcha doing after school today?” He asked grinning.

“Probably taking care of Alek and Mom. Why?” I replied, curiously.

“‘Cause, my Mama says that the ‘Voice’ wants to talk to you.” Leo answered.

I felt my blood turned to ice. The Voice only talks to people if they’re in trouble… like Liam… But he was immune to the injections, and he knew what happened… but…why does he want me? I panic-thought.

“Nikolai Jerriak, please report to the office, repeat, Nikolai Jerriak.” The Voice said loudly, and I nervously went to the office, but stopped.

“Leonid!” I shouted, using his real name.

“Yeah Nikolai!” I heard his answer.

“Tell Alek I was busy, keep her entertained!” I instructed, and continued walking to the office.

“Nikolai Jerriak, age thirteen. He seems to be… resistant to our injections.” I heard a man say, and I froze in fear.

“Nikolai? Get over here.” A familiar voice snapped. The Voice. I realized, and obeyed.

“Inject him. We must see for ourselves.” Another man said, and I must’ve looked terrified, and two men grabbed me from behind.

“Let go!” I shouted, struggling, and felt a cold needle insert into my skin. “Why are you doing this!” I struggled, then gave up. I sat down, and twenty, thirty, forty minutes passed, and I still didn’t get controlled.

“It works!” The Voice cried, and smiled.

“You are a danger to our system!” A man yelled, and I felt another needle insert into my shoulder, and my world started spinning, and I struggled to get up.

“Sit!” The Voice instructed, and I shook my head.

“I… Need… To… Get home.” I slurred, and stumbled forward, and two pairs of hands caught me.

“This boy… He must be killed.” I heard before I passed out.



© 2015 Alexandra (Alex)


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

96 Views
Added on September 26, 2015
Last Updated on September 26, 2015


Author

Alexandra (Alex)
Alexandra (Alex)

Some lost city in Texas, TX



About
Hello! I am a person from Texas, and every night as I lay in bed, stories pop into my mind. I plan on writing those stories down, then copying them down here. All my stories/book ideas are usually fir.. more..

Writing