Slipping Behind the Mask

Slipping Behind the Mask

A Poem by Mira
"

A freeverse poem.

"

Feeling abandoned and alone,

I finally acknowledge the change.

With each breath, each heartbeat

I feel myself slipping away.

I slip behind the mask of Mira.

 

 

 

I can still differentiate,

 

There is still a line between me and her.

Good, I wouldn’t want my narcissist parents to worry.

But, even now, the line wanes.

 

 

 

My heart hardens as I become her.

 

My temper spikes.

Hatred consumes me.

I care for nothing, no one.

None except my writing.

 

 

 

Writing is synonymous with who Mira is.

 

No, writing is who she is.

She scares me,

And I mourn for who I once was.

I almost don’t exist.

Only Mira.

 

 

 

Soon I won’t be slipping behind the mask.

 

Then the mask might come off once in a while.

The mask will stop coming off.

The mask becomes the face.

 

 

 

I won’t exist then,

 

Only Mira.

 

 

© 2009 Mira


Author's Note

Mira
Written under the influence of the Curse. It was slightly out of control.... I was a total *itch. Still am, it's just not as bad now. But this is a glimpse of how I view myself and my alternate persona, the writer Mira.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I really really liked this! Mhmm, the Curse. Don't we know it well? I think a lot of people can relate to this since many people become a different person when they're writing. I know when I do, I don't lose myself, but I lose all sense of time. This was really great :)

Posted 15 Years Ago


Aaron:
The Curse.... Yes, it is the curse. Men just don't understand how bad it gets sometimes. That's why 'I had PMS, and that's why I killed them' isn't considered justifiable homicide.
Perhaps it would help, but in my experience my alter ego Mira is evil. Pure, undiluted, cynnical evil. Love her to death, but she scares me.
When? Umm.... Always I guess. Seriously, I think I have a split personality. I can always hear her, she's like the exact opposite of a conscience. Except that, like a conscience, she never shuts up. Two will only become one when I'm writing, in which case it's the evil me instead of me.
Thanks!

Stephanie:
Thank you!
Ah the curse. The evil blight upon humanity. Did you know that in ancient Greece/Rome women were confined to the house during that time because it was thought that they would cause the crops to fail? Not sure where I read that, but on all accounts its true.
You do as well? Hmm, I thought I had split personality disorder.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Oh! i like it! People with in people pieces are always fun puzzles to ponder!
So I must ask.... is it really a curse? Sometimes, in my experiences, letting that other persona out of the bag is just what the doctor ordered! :)

So when does one person become two?

Nice Words!
Aaron Maycroft

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

133 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 22, 2009

Author

Mira
Mira

VA



About
Hey Everyone! I'm...well... Mira is my pseudonym since I don't want anyone to know who I really am. It tends to be that people freak out when they meet an author they like. I know I would have a heart.. more..

Writing
Thief Thief

A Book by Mira


Scraps Scraps

A Book by Mira



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


[untitled] [untitled]

A Poem by barricade