Diversity and Writing

Diversity and Writing

A Story by Wolvesta
"

The importance of writing for minorities

"

Writing is an essential part of life. It is used every day in different ways: sending a text message to someone, writing an email to a colleague, or even writing special instructions on where to drop off your food on a delivery website (it’s a big part of a resume too). When it comes to writing and speaking, one can assume that the way someone speaks is the way they write, but that is not true for everyone. While some people may have a very limited vocabulary, or may not speak at all, but grow up to be fantastic and famous writers. A prime example is Maya Angelou who became mute after traumatic events in her childhood. Speaking of Maya Angelou, who I admire greatly, she is one of many writers that is part of a minority race. And like many writers who are part of a minority, there is a certain story to be told. But sometimes not all minority writers are taken seriously because of their background. This is why, no matter the given situation, diversity needs to be acknowledged. There are many different types of diversity that must be known when being in a writing center: Language, Ethnicity, Culture, Race, Socioeconomic Class, Gender, etc. This paper will give descriptions of two different yet important types of diversities and why they are important in writing centers: Sexuality and Learning Styles.  

One diversity that is not mentioned in the introduction above, but is nonetheless important, is sexuality. Whether someone is heterosexual or LGBTQ+, sexuality is still an extremely politically controversial topic. Students who are part of the LGBTQ+ community may experience microaggressions in everyday interactions. According to Another word: "Microaggressions are small acts of violence, often at the level of talk, discourse, or bodily interaction that can make space feel unsafe for an individual”. These students are more visible on college campuses now more than ever in previous years. Yet they remain both minorities of the sexuality and gender identity group. Writing centers and classrooms want to be thought of as safe-spaces, but in reality, they are not immune to the practice of homophobia. Because of this type of discrimination, it is important for a writing center to create a safe space for students who are part of the LGBTQ+ community (sometimes they might not feel safe at home or with peers). One way to create a safe space for this (any) community is to be aware of the problems that they face so peers and tutors can offer resources on campus if someone is facing a problem. "Institutions can provide direct outreach to students who self-identify as LGBTQ and can use this information to understand the progress of these students through the institution" (Renn). In addition to including LGBTQ+ students and issue awareness on campus, there are more things that can be done. Include LGBTQ topics among other multicultural diversity and equity efforts on campus and offer stand-alone educational programs to provide opportunities for deeper exploration.

The next type of diversity that will be explored is ‘learning styles’. It is no secret nor a surprise that people learn differently, people can learn in a variety of different ways: visual, kinesthetic, and/or auditory. Just as people have different learning techniques, people have different writing styles as well. This is a theory developed by Dr. Howard Gardner in 1983 called the Theory of Multiple Intelligences. Dr. Gardner theorizes that there are eight different bits of intelligence to account for: Linguistic, Logical-mathematical, Spatial, Bodily-Kinesthetic, Musical, Interpersonal, Intrapersonal and Naturalist. But there is a problem that modern classrooms and writing centers are facing: Dr. Gardner states: "our schools and culture focus most of their attention on linguistic and logical-mathematical intelligence...we should also place equal attention on individuals who show gifts in the other intelligences: the artists, architects, musicians, naturalists, designers, dancers, therapists, entrepreneurs, and others who enrich the world in which we live". (Armstrong). This theory can be used to an advantage when it comes to teaching certain students in all grades. Teachers can be trained to present their lessons in a wide variety of ways using music, cooperative learning, art activities, role play, multimedia, etc. Of course, while some schools are already on its way to changing the way that school and education are taught, there are still those schools that teach through lectures and worksheets/textbooks. This can also apply to adults in the field of jobs because many of them find themselves stuck in a career/job that they do not like or ar3e not using their full capabilities. For example, an artist who thrives at digital art is stuck at a logical desk-job when they could be much happier being in a company for graphic design. 

When it comes to different types of bits of intelligence, a tutor must acknowledge that not all writers come from the same types of education. For example, I learn things better when I listen to soft violin/piano or orchestra music while my best friend is a visual learner who doesn't need music, they just need to read the content. As a tutor, there must be an understanding of how the writers learn best, that way you and the writers can understand the material together. It is important not to forget that "emotions are an important part of learning--ask students what makes them frustrated and what they would most like to "master," and work on these things. Emphasize their progress to help them gain confidence and monitor themselves" (Jamieson). With different ways of learning, there also comes ways to encourage students to gain self-confidence when it comes to their writing. When writers feel good about their writing ability, they have a better chance of being happy with their work.

After doing all the different types of research for this project, I learned so much afterward. Going into this research paper, I did not know how to even begin researching for this project. I first began by going to the internet and combining words that have to do with this paper. The words that were able to bring me two more research were: diversity and writing.  in addition to finding sources, I looked at their footnotes and went off of their references. After I found the proper sources to begin this paper, I began to delve deeper into topics that I have a small idea about. For example, I know what the LGBTQ+ community faces discrimination in many different forms almost every day. I do believe that it is important to create a safe space for members of this community as well as minorities because they may not feel safe on certain parts of campus. One of my closest friends, who is still in high school, is transgender and states that he feels that there is no safe space for members of the LGBTQ+ community in the high school that he attends now (the school that we once went to was very accepting of this community). This shows that some students may not feel safe at home nor with their peers,  and they need a place to be themselves without fear of bias and discrimination. 

When it comes to the different types of intelligence, I was unaware that there were different types of intelligence, but I had a slight idea. In high school,  I took IB Psychology and My teacher showed us ⅜ different Types of intelligence in order to write an essay. Knowing the different types of intelligence and learning styles can help diversify and expand a Writing Center.  Students can come in feeling positive and confident that they will be accepted and shown how to become a better writer in the ways that they are comfortable. In order for this to happen, tutors need to be aware of the different types of intelligence, and Proper techniques are in order to help somebody who does not learn the traditional way. There are many more ways that a Writing Center can be improved, but this is a step in the right direction in order to make students and writers of all walks of life and types comfortable and confident in their writing.

© 2020 Wolvesta


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

17 Views
Added on January 17, 2020
Last Updated on January 17, 2020
Tags: minorities, writing, diversity, english