A Pirate Named Sarah

A Pirate Named Sarah

A Story by Lily
"

For my friend, Louis.

"
     Sarah was raised in an orphan's home and she was a leader to the other children. After Sarah reached the age of the sixteen, the orphan home was shut down and the children were thrown onto the streets. Many of them disappeared, some of them found work, and only one stayed with Sarah, a eight year old boy named Daniel Hart. Sarah and Daniel were pickpockets for over a year before Daniel was hired as a cabin boy for a notorious pirate named James Dagger. Sarah sneaked aboard the ship in disguise as a deckhand.
     Years passed and the crew changed multiple times, due to deaths and unsuccessful mutinies, but Daniel and Sarah were always on the ship they called home, The Black Rose. Sarah grew into a beautiful young woman with long caramel hair and fierce storm gray eyes. James Dagger passed away one night from an infection from a bullet wound and he left The Black Rose to Sarah. Daniel and Sarah buried their father figure at sea.
     The two friends ran The Black Rose for years and their crew changed constantly.
     Daniel and Sarah made port one day and a constable's young daughter, Maria, caught Daniel's eye. He pursued her and they married against her father's wishes. Maria and Daniel lived aboard the The Black Rose until Maria got pregnant and she and Daniel decided it was best for them settle down on land. Sarah said goodbye to her friends and continued to sail the seas.
     A year after Daniel left, Sarah met a handsome sea captain named, Henry Edwards. His blue eyes lured Sarah closer and she fell hard for Henry. The two became lovers.
     After several months, Sarah discovered that Henry was married, she left him behind, never to look back. One night six months after leaving Henry, Sarah gave birth to a baby girl she named Rose Edwards. Rose had her father's blonde hair and her mother's gray eyes.
     Years passed and Sarah heard news of a water spout destroying a village. Sarah thought nothing of it until a young boy from that same village approached her. He said his name was James Hart and his parents, Maria and Daniel, had died when the water spout hit their house. Sarah brought James aboard The Black Rose and introduced the ten year old to her eight-year-old daughter, Rose. The two became fast friends.
     The years flew by and one day after his twenty-first birthday, James asked Sarah for her most precious treasure, Rose. The two wanted to marry, but they swore they only would if Sarah gave her blessing. Sarah had seen the looks passed between the two young people in the recent years and she consented.
     Rose Edwards became Mrs. Rose Hart not long James' twenty-first birthday. Sarah knew her daughter and son-in-law were as much in love with the sea as she was at their ages and she knew what she had to do. After her family returned from their honeymoon, Sarah presented Rose and James with The Black Rose as a wedding present. The young newlyweds were stunned and Rose refused to take her mother's most prized possession from her. But Sarah insisted, saying it was her time to allow the next generation sail the seas.
     The morning after Rose and James returned home to The Black Rose, Rose crept into her mother's cabin at dawn to ask her a question. She found that her mother had passed away in her sleep, a smile on her face. Sarah was forty-nine.

© 2014 Lily


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Oh my God. A beautiful story. I have chills and tears. It's a lovely emotional story. Whenever I read this I feel the love that pirates had for the seas and this story shows that.

You've written something spectacular here, Lily. Congrats! :D

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

232 Views
1 Review
Added on September 7, 2014
Last Updated on September 20, 2014

Author

Lily
Lily

KY



Writing
The Final Storm The Final Storm

A Poem by Lily