Preface

Preface

A Chapter by Hinoto
"

Preface of The Door of Mystery

"

A long time ago, when I was 8 years old and my good friend, Keil Fletcher, had just turned 9, we found a mysterious door deep within the forest off the edge of town. The door was standing alone in a large clearing and had the words “do not open,” painted in red across it. It gave me an eerie feeling that I cannot even begin to describe. Keil was going to open it anyways, but I convinced him not to. However, his desire for adventure was too strong and 3 days later, he vanished. I made my way back to the door, hoping that he was only playing around, but he wasn’t. Next to the door I found his favorite keychain laying in the grass. I knew he was gone. Gone through the door.

 

---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----

 

“That was 20 years ago, and I haven’t seen him since,” says a man by the name of Niles Eastman, as he holds up the keychain sword that once belonged to his friend. Niles had become the town’s storyteller after completing his degree in the arts. Every night he would sit out under the stars surrounded by children telling childhood stories. When he told a story, he would have proof like a picture or item.

 

“Hey, Mr. E. Is there really a door in the forest?” asks a little boy.

 

“There is, but you mustn’t open it,” Niles said as he reaches into his back pocket. He pulls a picture of Keil and him pretending to open the door, and hands it to the boy.

 

“Have you ever wanted to open the door?” questions another boy.

 

“I have a million times,” Niles says as he looks up at the stars. “A million times.”



© 2017 Hinoto


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Now i'm all curious about where this story will lead to. i don't even have an idea, and that's the more reason i enjoyed this

Posted 9 Years Ago


A very good preface. I like the mystery and the use of a storyteller. A storyteller give reason and purpose to a tale of the unknown and secrets. I like the use of the door also. Thank you for sharing the excellent opening for the tale.
Coyote

Posted 10 Years Ago


Oooo chilling~ Curious to see where this'll go >;3 Looking forward to the first chapter~ Is this going to be from Niles or Keil's POV? :o Also curious about this world (dont answer now if you explain later) but where exactly is this taking place? It seems slightly dystopian in the fact I don't think most people can actually surivive telling children stories under the stars Lol. Has the world ended? Or is this a steampunk ish world witha mix of modern and fantasy :o

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

233 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 24, 2013
Last Updated on October 24, 2017


Author

Hinoto
Hinoto

Elm Grove, WI



About
"Only once you write your own story will you know the true you." I am a Mechanical Design graduate and a part-time writer. I'm an anime fan, too, however I will not read any fan-fictions (sorry). .. more..

Writing
IN PROGRESS IN PROGRESS

A Chapter by Hinoto