The Wish

The Wish

A Story by
"

A short short but encourages mind thought

"

   James waited his turn in line. He was trying to be patient, yet his excitement was building. At first he had been scared of the untouchable lady. She had led him here to the cave. The cave was actually warm, but cold in a way. The lady sat beside him and waited also.

     “I’m not sure about this, I am a bit nervous.” The lady smiled as the serenity within her glowed.

“You will do fine; remember you will be granted one wish; to reward you of your unselfish acts in your world.” James smiled. “I know what I want, but am not sure it will be granted.” The lady looked towards him again; glowing softness’, one could not describe. “Whatever you wish, it shall be granted. It will come with a price, but the price is within you. I am not allowed to know your wish or make suggestions.”

   Time passed, years went by. The man walked alone in his world. The pain of hunger stayed with him. His mind filled with agony, as it tried to take over his very being. His thoughts continuously went back to the night, he’d been granted a wish. His tears have never ceased.

   You see my friend, the world has ended. Time was gone for all, except James. He had wished for IMMORTALITY. He lives on and on. The world is destroyed; is without food. There is no companionship…. There is nothing; except for James. He wanders within his own mind and shall until infinity ends…

© 2014


Author's Note

He was rewarded for his unselfish acts, a test and he wished for himself..

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow!! I really enjoined this story.It was very inspirational to me as a new writer.

Thank you

Posted 9 Years Ago


9 Years Ago

Thank you kindly for stopping by and leaving the wonderful reply and comment...
This was great. I love the ending, the surprise and the message here. He was rewarded for selfless acts but in the end, selfishness was his curse. I believe this would be considered Flash Fiction, am I correct. I love your ability to fit so much, a complete story into so few words. I really enjoyed this today Nisa.

Posted 9 Years Ago


willweb

9 Years Ago

I too enjoy writing Flash Fiction. Do you follow any rules...word count?

9 Years Ago

I really do not do work count but... I always look at the count and prefer 250 words or less...Not s.. read more
willweb

9 Years Ago

Thanks I will check that out.
This is one of my favorite story I have read in writer's cafe, you took your readers to a journey and in between so many messages you shared. This tale define your brilliance and I truly enjoyed. Respect

Posted 10 Years Ago


10 Years Ago

Thank you Amos... yes sometimes I learn my best lessons by letting one of my characters learn it fir.. read more
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Know That I Too
We are never alone (a poem for mental health month)
The ultimate careful what you wish for...sigh

Posted 10 Years Ago


10 Years Ago

true Chris... but how is it possible to... wish a wish that would not impact something else?..
Chris

10 Years Ago

Life changes ...us ... and others

10 Years Ago

it does indeed

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

217 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 18, 2014
Last Updated on March 18, 2014
Tags: twilight zone, twisted, short story, fable

Author


Writing
The scarring The scarring

A Poem by


The Nosies The Nosies

A Poem by