Probably Couldn't

Probably Couldn't

A Story by
"

Two worlds within one society allow that which could have been changed

"
The smell of the gentle rain floated in through my office window. I held my coffee mug tightly enjoying the warmth from the steaming liquid. The rain had stopped and yet the sun was still sleeping late. I gazed about looking, watching and enjoying the quiet. I saw a small child sitting on the corner of the curb. Her dark hair fell forward covering her face and had been plastered down by the recent rain.
She sat leaned forward hugging her knees, lost in thought or wishing. One hand absent mindlessly pulled at the rubber, on one of her tennis shoes. She took the piece hanging loose and stretched it out till it snapped back. Over and over she pulled the lose rubber.
It was spring now, winter long gone but I wondered if she was cold. Did she have life on her mind? What was it, if anything that brought her tiny body out to sit on a wet street curb? Maybe I should venture out and help her. I probably couldn’t do anything any way.
Time went by and she continued to sit. A car came up the street in a slow manner. She let go of the lose rubber and automatically let both hands fall behind her to grab the wet cement on each side of her body. She looked as if she was ready to push up and away to run. The car continued on and she again relaxed her hands. She stretched her legs out straight in front of her and tilted her head back to look at the sky. I wondered if she was from around here? She wasn’t but about 9 years old; course around here being out alone wasn’t a big thing. The hood they call it. They protect their own; until they kill each other. Maybe I should inquire if she is in need of help. I probably couldn’t do anything any way.
I ventured outside, out of curiosity. She looked my direction as I stepped out and closed the door. She turned back away. I wasn’t a threat to her. I looked up to the sky as the sun had finally decided to peak out a bit. The clouds were no longer but a foggy grayness still lingered. I walked in her direction and she paid me no mind. She probably thought I would walk on past her.
“Hello, there, I haven’t seen you around here before. Are you okay or is there something I can do to help you?” She looked up at me cocking her head to one side. She flipped her dark hair out of her face and back over her shoulder. She stood up and shook her head.
“You probably couldn’t help any way.” Her small voice reached my heart. Just as quick before I could react she ran off. Her sprint was fast and strong as she headed back to her own world.

© 2014


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Haha! Lovely story, Nisha! I loved the way your expressed all the things marvelously. Hey, am now just curious to know, what makes you inspire writing such an excellent and of course a joyful story?

Posted 10 Years Ago


10 Years Ago

Good morning Stephen... nice to see you... My inspiration comes from life... watching, hearing and l.. read more
Stephen

10 Years Ago

Very Good Morning, Nisha ... Oh, sounds great, me too get inspirations from the same things but espe.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

144 Views
1 Review
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on April 4, 2014
Last Updated on April 4, 2014
Tags: life, hurt, help me, how, why, when, society

Author


Writing
The scarring The scarring

A Poem by


The Nosies The Nosies

A Poem by