The First Four Years

The First Four Years

A Chapter by

After the back closure the miracle baby girl went through, at 3 weeks old she had to have a tube put in called a shunt starting in her head draining extra fluid off her brain into her abdomen caused by a condition called hydrocephalus. After she recovered from these two surgeries the family started adjusting to their new life raising a special needs child trying to make sure her life would be as normal as possible. Little did they know, the first 4 years of her life would be spent going to doctors and spending more time in the hospital. Through all of it though, they supported each other and made it through. The next 4 surgeries this little girl had to go through shouldn't have to be endured by a small child, especially not all before turning 5 years old. The third and fourth surgery after being born were two hip surgeries, one on each hip due to hip dislocation in which she had 5 screws put in each hip to try to keep them from dislocating all the way again. After that things were normal for a while and she got to be a normal toddler playing with toys and being as independent as possible. Although she had to have some help walking by using a toddler's walker and leg braces, she didn't let it stop her from playing with her favorite toys, especially her Baby Bop doll that she took everywhere with her. One day just a year before her last two surgeries for several years, she was in the kitchen with her mom playing with some of her toys when she realized that her favorite doll wasn't among them. This is when a miracle happened to this special little girl, she got up with her walker and went into the living room where she spotted the special doll on the couch at the other side of the room. Once she spotted it she realized she was where her mother couldn't see her and that's when without thinking she let go of her walker and took off to the other side of the room to retrieve her favorite toy. Somehow she miraculously made it by herself to the couch, but halfway back to her walker with her favorite toy in hand she fell down which caused her to start crying. When her mother rushed in to see what was wrong with her daughter, she was shocked to see that she was nowhere near her walker and asked the daughter how she managed to get that far away from the walker to which her daughter replied, "I walked to get my toy mommy".  While the family didn't understand how that miracle happen, they celebrated that the little girl was getting stronger everyday and they kept their faith in God for her healing. Unfortunately for the family, the celebration was short lived when a little over a year after the miracle their special little girl started getting so sick that she didn't have the energy to play like she normally did. So they rushed her to UK where she was born and had all of her other surgeries to get it checked out to see what was wrong. That was when they discovered the top of her tube to drain fluid off her brain had become twisted which required surgery to repair along with a few days in the hospital. After this surgery they thought they were in the clear, just to have the bottom part of the tube become twisted two weeks after the first shunt revision surgery. Those surgeries happened just before the little girl turned 5 years old, but after that she had no more problems for a while. While this little girl thought to herself that her problems were over even though she didn't really understand them, little did she know the hardest times were yet to come starting with her parents' divorce while she recovered from the shunt revisions.


© 2015


Author's Note

please ignore small grammatical errors, it's been a long time since I've written stuff like this.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I'm glad to see you're continuing your story. It's very interesting and I hope to see more.

Posted 8 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

8 Years Ago

I'm having writer's block on how to start my next chapter.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

173 Views
1 Review
Added on July 19, 2015
Last Updated on July 19, 2015