Merlyn’s Forgotten Tale About The World’s Greatest Knight

Merlyn’s Forgotten Tale About The World’s Greatest Knight

A Story by Matt Campbell
"

Originally written as a writing project for a college-level Arthurian Literature Course I took. I did some editing later on.

"

I am walking in a mist-filled morning in the forest for the last time, for now, and as I look to the future with a mixture of joy and despair. I see the deeds and tales of so many eras recorded. However, not all of those tales are recorded, not made into memory. To rectify this, I shall tell you one such tale as I walk my final walk. I personally think this is one of the amusing tales you will hear and after you do, I ask that you record it for, while I am asleep, there will be none who can tell it.

   In the court of King Arthur, well known as it was, among them were legendary knights whose reputations preceded them. There were Sirs Gawain, Tristan, Lamorack, Bors, Gareth, Gaheris, Perceville, the perfect knight Galahad, who in his brief span of years took on the title of the best knight of the world and some less than noble knights such as Agravain and the man who would destroy Arthur’s kingdom, Mordred. However, these events shant happen for a while yet, at least I should think. Confound it all, what year is it?!  Let’s see, where was I?  Noble knights, King Arthur… ah and pinnacle among those was Lancelot du Lac, the best knight in the world and Arthur’s champion. Now I, Merlin, have a tale to tell about this greatest knight of the world, which he would greatly discourage, and Arthur also forbade that anyone speak of this. However, I doubt he’ll know if you hold your tongue, however Arthur may not have decreed this yet…. Oh well, on the point!

 When Lancelot du Lac was but a lad, he was visited by a young king named Arthur and me with him, in that visit Arthur gave Lancelot his purpose: to be the foremost knight in his Round Table.  He was nothing special except in the way he wielded the sword and the lance. This though, when Arthur and I came across him he could do nothing of the sort! But after that meeting, he trained all day and most of the night to hone his skills, at first with others, however after his improved skill none wanted to spar against him.  Most simply ignored the boy, save for his Uncle Dap who trained him into what he would become. However, young Lancelot was not discouraged, for he was determined to become the World’s Greatest Knight and he hardly needed to concern himself with continuously vanquishing the other knightly “hopefuls” of his age. So, he merely spent his youth seeking out strong opponents, questing and rescuing damsels in distress all things befitting an up and coming knight. All under the approving eye of Uncle Dap, who had hoped that once his nephew had become the World’s Greatest Knight, perhaps Arthur would make him a lord and grant him land, in gratitude for training the World’s Greatest Knight. As Lancelot’s fame grew so would his, or so he assumed.  This, however, did not happen.

   You already know this part of the story. For eventually Lancelot was brought to Arthur’s court and there he bested knight after knight in joust after joust.  Sirs Agravaine and Kay were of no surprise to anyone, but when Gawain was bested people began to look closely and when even the likes of Sir Lamorak and Tristan were defeated everyone was aghast for undoubtedly Sir Lancelot had proven himself as Arthur’s best knight. He went on quest after quest against giants, griffins and even a couple of dragons proving himself time and again valorously in battle against Arthur’s enemies. Arthur’s queen, Guinevere even forsook him for the mighty Lancelot, though this was kept secret.  This everyone knows, but what you do not know is how the World’s Greatest Knight was nearly undone…

 

  After Méléagant was thoroughly thrashed a second time by Sir Lancelot, he wondered, he pondered, he raved and ranted on and on, day and night over his humiliating defeat by that very Sir Lancelot.  

“Curse him.” he said “God damn that Sir Lancelot; he took my pride and my future queen!  That sword hand of his is perhaps the only virtue that he will ever possess! A knight who traveled about in a CART defeated ME!!! I will take my revenge and I will defeat him and kill him! I will cut off his head and quarter his body for all to see and then I will take Arthur's Queen and conquer his kingdom and he will kneel before me! My father will never allow this, but I know how I can beat that damn Lancelot at his own game!”

He smiled and snickered as he said this and grew beside himself with joy at his own, well, what he called brilliance. For what Méléagant lacked in valor, chivalry and knightly skill was malevolent cunning and a political savvy that was quite near unrivaled. For as he hated Lancelot, so too did Morgan le Fay despise Guinevere. For although her Green Knight failed to bring Arthur’s court to heel, he did scare poor Guinevere and to that end he was successful. He decided that perhaps there was a way for them both to accomplish their ends.

  So, Méléagant traveled to Morgan’s castle to seek her help and in particular, her spells. Morgan of course was soon aware of his coming, so when Méléagant arrived, Morgan had her knights drag Méléagant before her.

“Unhand me!” he exclaimed. “I am the son of King Bagdemus, unhand me at once! Or I shall unleash my wrath and I shall show you the true power of the mighty Méléagant!”

No one reacted and although he struggled the knights continued to drag him to Morgan’s throne.  As soon as he was thrown at her feet, Morgan le Fay addressed him, “Oh and what true power would that be? The ability to be thrashed about by Lancelot, to have his lance throw you off your horse, to be bested, miserably I might add, by his…sword? I do believe the petition of your benevolent father was the only reason he spared you.  Although, the account was quite difficult to discern because the courtier I sent could not stop laughing, when he told me. Apparently, he even bested you with his hands tied behind his back, is this true?”  

Méléagant’s face turned red with a combination of anger and humiliation.

“You hateful…” he stopped himself from completing his sentence, for he became all too aware of the four knights with their swords drawn and the witch-queen looking on him with an expression daring him to complete his sentence. “So where is this courtier? I have a few things I would like to say to him…” he asked.

“Well,” Morgan began, “I had my lovely Green Knight play his head game with him, however he proved to be far less honorable than Sir Gawain, his head is over there if you wish to look. The rest of him though, was given to the hounds. Let that be a warning to you, Sir Méléagant, for that courtier’s laughter was irritating and I will not be insulted by the likes of you.  State your business and get out!”

 

  Meanwhile, at Camelot, Arthur called his court and Round Table, for a discussion of knightly deeds, however as Lancelot was about to tell of his latest knightly exploits, a page suddenly ran in.  “My king!” he yelled.  “Who dares to interrupt my tale you insolent page?!” bellowed Lancelot.

“My King.” The page continued. “I bring a letter from your royal sister, Queen Morgan le Fay!” At that, a silence loomed over the court, many in the court grew pale, many knights were in great confusion, Arthur alone remained composed.

"And what exactly does my dear sister want?" he asked suspiciously. "Here is the letter mighty King."

Arthur broke the seal and read the letter. "It says that my sister has a mystery knight who wishes to challenge my best knight in a joust." Everyone at court breathed a sigh of relief, for everyone knew that no one could beat Sir Lancelot, much less in single combat.  

"Fine, then, I shall partake in this 'match' and defeat this mystery knight." Everyone at court shouted triumphantly. Guinevere beamed for she loved to witness the often-one-sided victories of Lancelot.

  On the appointed day, during the autumn morn, the mystery knight of Morgan Le Fay rode up with many lords and ladies from the Queen's court.  Lancelot rode up as well with the court of King Arthur in tow. The combatants faced each other upon horseback with their squires behind them.

The mystery knight then shouted, "Hail, Lancelot the World's Greatest Knight, today you shall fall by my sword."

To this Lancelot replied, "How now mystery knight? I shall end this quickly, for I shall knock you off your horse in one charge. Then I shall force you to yield with a blow from my sword."

The mystery knight simply inclined his head and yelled out. "Come forth and get me, for your sword will not compensate for ye petty and unwarranted pride, for upon this sword I shall avenge myself and give back twice what you gave to me, for on that day, 'twas a fluke, for on that day in which you knocked me off my horse! Come at me Lancelot and meet your fate!" Lancelot sighed, gave a passing look to Guinevere, Arthur and the other knights, knowing he would decimate this mystery knight. The combatants charged and the cheering from the crowd began, louder and louder they. The two knights passed each, both lances broken.  Rather than feel shock at how a a man had been able to withstand a blow from Sir Lancelot, for surely had Tristan and Lamorak been capable of it, everyone laughed in great mirth, for Lancelot was merely playing with him. 

            However, as Lancelot did all he could to knock this mystery knight from his horse, he could not, then before he knew it there sounded a sickening whack. Then some faint drops of blood from Lancelot's armor and there was a wide gasp. Arthur went pale and Guienevere fainted, Agravain spit his drink on Gawain in shock, Tristan broke a harp string and a dead silence ensued, as for Lancelot he just stared at the sky too shocked for words. The mystery knight then took off his helm and Méléagant was revealed! Arthur turned blood red, Guinevere, who had just come to, suddenly looked ill and fainted again, Kay winced, and Lancelot just… fainted.

"How now, mighty King! I am now the Greatest Knight in the World! I have finally vanquished Lancelot with my own sword! I dare any of you knights to face me now! What's wrong, no challengers? No challengers?! For the greatest knight in world?!"

Everyone in the crowd stared without a wit about them to show for it. "How about you Sir Gawain, I recall that you were one of the people to disgrace me! Have at you!" All eyes shifted toward Gawain and he was then compelled to pick up his arms, climb his horse and ride out to the field to face Méléagant. Gawain made the sign of the cross and charged expecting defeat. Méléagant charged with all of his fury, Arthur turned away to avert his eyes from his nephew's defeat, then a cheer rang from the crowd and Arthur chanced a look and saw Méléagant lie in the dirt in utter defeat. Lancelot got up and in such wonderly wrath challenged Gawain to a joust.

"What is this, thou hast defeated Méléagant? Gawain, I have defeated you before and I will do so yet again. Have at you Gawain." Lancelot and Gawain charged at each other furiously, however Gawain easily knocked Lancelot off his horse and no matter how hard he fought; he was forced to yield. A great shock ensued and so shocked was Sir Tristan that every other string on his harp broke with a loud twang. So, Tristan decided to go against Gawain.

"Tristan, you see how I have defeated Méléagant and Lancelot? You are no longer my match." They charged and Tristan easily bested Gawain. Now all of the other knights of the Round Table were in uproar, they all wanted a chance to fight Sir Lancelot, for regardless of any poor luck by Lancelot, Sir Tristan was still the best after Lancelot and Lancelot was just defeated thrice in a single day. 

   Every knight lined up to face Sir Lancelot to prove their worth and pay him back for their own countless defeats. The result was the same; Lancelot was defeated again and again by Sirs Gareth and Gaheris, Lamorak, even by Agravain. The crowd was devastated, and Arthur's face grew paler and paler while Guienevere looked livid and walked away in disgust. Arthur had now noticed his Seneschal and said, "Kay, it looks as though Lancelot is having a bad stretch of luck. How about you try yours?"

Kay beamed in excitement. "I'll give that pompous twit what he deserves! I'll be back shortly, and I'll make him regret ever facing me!" Arthur, sighed in relief, whatever was happening to Lancelot surely wouldn't affect him going up against Kay and hopefully that would restore Lancelot to his former glory. Kay faced Lancelot on the field and Arthur watched eagerly.  They charged at each other in such unprecedented fury, for Lancelot was aware of the disgrace he would accumulate if he lost to Kay. But as they crashed, Lancelot was unhorsed and Kay stepped off and was handed his sword by his squire, he struck at Lancelot wildly, Lancelot dodged, drew his own sword and parried, but Kay feinted and dealt Lancelot a devastating blow. Lancelot was knocked over and at sword point to Kay yielded.  

Arthur became faint and Kay shouted in pride, "Well Lancelot, I've now defeated the best knight in the world, now who dares to face the mighty KAY?!" However, the joust ended and Méléagant rose and proclaimed to the King, "Lancelot has been vanquished by not only me, but every knight of the Round Table, including Kay! However, I will extend the same courtesy that he extended to me, if your Lancelot cannot defeat me in one year, I will take your sweet Guinevere by force, now that I'm the first person to have ever defeated Lancelot, there won't be a single king who won't stand at my side and then I'll take your kingdom, your Queen and Excalibur!" 

Méléagant rode off with Morgan's entourage. The spectators left in utter shock and Lancelot just sat on the field in utter confusion, the rest of the knights, with Kay at the head of rushed back to the palace in celebration. Even Arthur, eventually went back to the castle with a hung head and slumped shoulders, for he would surely have to prepare for war.  I was also completely dumbfounded, the future, fate had changed to something I did not know for the first time and well the sensation was of great convulsion yet excitement. I suppose that's how a person feels when they do not comprehend the past and the future. 

   Lancelot also made his way back to Camelot; he went to see Guinevere in her chambers as he had done for several years. Lancelot stopped short as he saw Guinenvere. "Oh, Guinevere, today was a most horrid day, my old enemy hath vanquished me and all of my friends, even Kay." Guienvere glared at him. "You have lost the beauty of your sword arm, so the rumors were true, you were vanquished by Kay. By KAY!!!! You shall no longer be my consort, get ye out and don't let me see me you again!" Lancelot was dumbstruck and he had now not only lost his honor as a knight, but also Guienevere's love.  Now, King Arthur meanwhile was bombarded by knights of all qualities to challenge Lancelot and presumably defeat them, Lancelot kept himself withdrawn and Arthur prepared for war and dismissed the challengers from the court. Eventually, he had no choice but to summon Lancelot to court.

"Lancelot," he proclaimed. "You have gone from being my best knight to my worst. However, to rid this court of all the would-be champions and so you can prepare for your next joust and I need to prepare for war, should Méléagant again defeat you. You must quest and find again your knightly skill, or we will be plunged into war with Méléagant and his allies." 

“So, you are banishing me from the court?”

“In essence, I’m sorry Lancelot, but you’ve got to get yourself back together.”

Gawain, Tristan and other knights of the Round Table had gathered their resources and allies to Arthur's cause, however a war with Méléagant and his allies in the form several other kings would be no easy task. As it stood, Arthur could have easily beaten down any enemy at his gates, but it would come at great cost and leave him unable to drive off the next.

 At Morgan's castle earlier, Méléagant stormed in, "What was that?! What kind of spell was that?!!! I defeated Lancelot and then Gawain defeated me and then Tristan defeated him!" Méléagant raved and ranted at Morgan.

“The enchantment I put on your sword was the Curse of Fate, granting your sword one stroke to change its wielder’s fate. One stroke was all I gave you and one stroke you used. Although the curse is gone, it has served its purpose. Lancelot, however, is a broken man and you will not need magic to claim your prize. You and your father's allies will then destroy Arthur and his kingdom with Lancelot defeated an gone. If you do actually succeed, I will even assist you. My little brother will finally come to heel, and my late father shall have his revenge upon the descendent of the usurper."

  Lancelot set out with arms and armor to rebuild his knighthood and once again become Arthur's Greatest Knight.  He traveled throughout Arthur's Kingdom in for all intents and purposes, in exile and shame, for not only was he defeated, he was defeated by an opponent he had already beaten before. To make matters worse the other knights had defeated him. He wandered to a church in ruins, for all who passed by ridiculed Lancelot for what he was. He was too resigned to even react, for before this, none would dare to insult him. He eventually encountered a hermit at the church by the name of Abloec. “What is wrong my son?” he asked.

 

Lancelot replied, "I, who was once the Greatest Knight of the World, have been brought low by a foe whom I defeated, Méléagant, the champion of Morgan Le Fay." The Hermit Abloec pondered, contemplated and prayed and then he told Lancelot.

 

"Morgan Le Fay may have cursed the sword that struck you, but your own knighthood must be regained in three parts: you must regain and demonstrate your chivalrous honor, boundless courage and knightly skill. These three shall be your test of worth, should you complete them, you will be far stronger than you ever were and truly be the World's Greatest Knight. For though the Curse of Fate has long left you, your mind is not truly free from it and now you must become again Le Grand Chevalier. Go now and don't waste another moment! Your tests will present themselves in due time before the year is out." Lancelot left, still in resign and glumly went in search of his trials.

 

 He rode out on his horse searching for some quest, after two days he began to feel exhaustion creep in, for he found no potential quests and he had no food.  He then happened upon a path with a knight clad in brown wearing an antlered helmet. As he approached, the knight approached on horseback and declared, “Halt, state ye name sir!” Lancelot halted and beheld the knight and replied, “I am Sir Lancelot of Camelot.” At this the knight broke into a fit of laughter.

 

“Hah, Sir Lancelot of Camelot! The once great knight now turned the worst!  Now that’s a laugh!” Lancelot was taken aback, however this quickly turned to anger, for what was left of his pride was struck.

 

“And who might you be sir, who so takes me lightly?”

 

“I am the knight Andvain under the service of the King Melnavin of the forest.”

 

Lancelot was taken aback and raised an eyebrow. “Who? I have yet to hear that name.”

 

“Never you mind, just state ye damned quest!”

 

“I seek a trial of skill to regain my knightly honor.”

 

“Hah! What honor? You lost to Méléagant and then to Gawain, then you were all but handed around for each knight to take his turn! Ha ha ha! And you were once considered the World’s Greatest Knight! People used to cower at your name in fear! Gasp in awe when your deeds were told, lads would dream of becoming like you! You’re not more than some, than some broken sword that’s been tossed aside to rust, wandering the land with what little dignity you have left in you, I spit on you, I bite my thumb at you! If I had any Elderberries, I’d toss them at you!”

 

Lancelot was now so full of rage that he could no longer contain himself. “And what about yourself, you antlered fool?! I at least had a name worth mentioning! You should cut off your antlers and not emulate the stag, you’ll fit better as a doe, can you even swing that sword or do your squires do it for you?! Now away with you and let me pass.”  Lancelot proceeded to break off a twig. Then he broke it in half. “See what fate awaits you?! I’ll break you in half like this twig, though you’ll be less of a challenge.” He broke a piece of the twig in half. “Then I’ll knock you on your arse and show you how a true knight fights!”

 

“That’s if you can get me you discarded filth, I’ll toss you in the pits right where you belong! Come at me Lancelot and show me your steel!”

 

“It won’t be much of a showing you prancing pansy!”

 

Lancelot and Andvain charged and they both knocked each other of their horses and their lances shattered. The two knights fell in the dirt with mighty thuds. They drew their swords and clashed with a mighty passion, they slashed, hewed and stabbed to no avail and then Lancelot struck a blow so devastating that Andvain’s sword was shattered. “Now who’s the broken sword?! Now yield and I’ll be on my way!”  And to further insult the knight, Lancelot cut of the stag’s antlers from the knight’s helmet.  “Now you look like the doe you are!” Lancelot mounted his horse and then moved on through the forest. He met other knights on the way who stood in his path and crushed them in awesome victory. He was now confident that his skills were back, and he felt as though he could take on any man!

 

  Lancelot now rode through the forest unopposed, but then came upon a young damsel on the road.  “Brave knight, stop and help me, my sister has been captured by evil knights, you must save her. Please! For if you do not, I pray that you become known as the World’s Worst Knight!”

 

 “Very well, fair lady, I shall rescue your sister from those dastardly knights! But when I prevail, know me as the best of all knights.”

 

“Get ye going and get my sister back and you can be whatever you chose!  Go North, then East, then North again.”

 

Lancelot rode forward in all haste to save this other damsel from the crooked knights.  He rode north, then he rode east and then he rode north again and after a while, he found four knights carrying off... whom he presumed was the damsel.  T’was an ugly woman with a face covered in blemishes and she was quite round.  “How now sir knights!” called sir Lancelot. “What are doing with… yonder damsel?”

 

“Oh, her? I surprised you have any interest in her, we wouldn’t neither if her father weren’t willing to pay her ransom.” Replied the first knight.

 

“Well, I shall have to ask you to let her go good sirs.”

 

“Please sir knight, help me, save me from these ruffians!” cried the dame.

 

“Do you even know who this, this is the Dame Ragnal. Her father would probably pay a fortune to have her returned, tell you what, you help us here and you get some of the ransom.”

 

“You foul knights, have you taken leave of your senses? Do you have any bit of chivalry left you cravens? I demand that you release this damsel, or I shall be compelled to use force.” He declared.

 

“And who are you to compel anyone sir?” the second knight asked.

 

“I am Sir Lancelot du Lac of King Arthur’s Court! I demand you free that lady at once!”

 

Immediately, they all began to laugh. “Hah, I know you! You were in King Arthur’s court, and you WERE the World’s Greatest Knight. Then every single knight of King Arthur’s defeated you! You’re no knight! You’re a disgrace! Weren’t you banished from King Arthur’s court because of how terrible you were? I dare you to fight us you limy…” At that Sir Lancelot could take no more and he drew his sword and swung so fast that when he cut the first knight’s head, he was still in mid-sentence.

 

“Get him!” cried the other knights. The three remaining knights charged at him with a spear in hand, but Lancelot charged alongside the second, blocked the spear and smote the knight down, the knight landed badly on his head.  The final two knights charged sword raised high and then Lancelot disengaged the upward stroke, got behind the third knight’s guard and cut his head clean off like the first. The fourth was easily taken care of afterwards. The smote knight had survived and as Lancelot rode to finish him, he cried out. “Mercy great knight. Please, I yield, I know I have forgotten my chivalry, but you haven’t. Take the woman and go.” Lancelot found the Dame Ragnel hiding in a bush. “Come now, lady, I shall take you to your sister.” The dame grabbed one of the horses and got on. “Thank you, sir knight, for your chivalry, I know I am no beauty, but I thank you all the same, my father will reward you handsomely.”

 

“Nonsense.” Declared Lancelot. “I never was going for any reward to begin with, your sister asked that I rescued you and I intended to do so regardless.”

 

“You are a true and chivalrous knight Sir Lancelot, I don’t know what happened, but when you fight Méléagant, if you fight the same way you fought today, you’ll win.”

 

 They arrived and were greeted by Ragnal’s sister and Lancelot got off his horse, took his equipment and gave it to the other Ragnal. “Thank you, good knight, you have truly shown your chivalry, even if you are defeated again, I will consider you the World’s Greatest, Sir Lancelot du Lac.”

 

“Thank you, fair lady.” Lancelot then continued on foot on to Camelot, for the year was almost out and Méléagant would return to fight once again against Lancelot. Images flashed through his head of his devastating defeat, everyone shunned him, including Guinevere and rightly so, for he had been defeated by everyone, including Kay of all people.  Now, he had no choice, but to fight again and prove that he was still the World’s Greatest Knight. He stopped in a village. An old man stopped before him, “So what is the brave knight doing on foot, he should be atop a mighty steed. What is your name sir knight?”

 

“I am Sir Lancelot du Lac of King Arthur’s court, formerly the World’s Greatest Knight.”

 

“Well, at least you’re still a knight. I was once a knight like you, but then I took an arrow in the knee after that, riding and fighting was far more difficult after that. When you are a cripple, no one gives you gifts, or favor and you can’t go on quests and get glory. You were once the best of us but by the look of you, you haven’t taken any arrows, what’s your excuse lad?  Do you intend to fight Méléagant again or are you going to run like a bloody coward?”

 

“Yes, I will face him although I would rather not. I lost to him once already, if I lose again, I’ll be finished.”

 

 “Aye, but you vanquished him twice before, you’ve lost once, but if you don’t have the courage to face possibility of losin’ then there’s not much point in winning, wouldn’t you say? In my day, the tournaments were the battlefields, you won if you survived and you lost when you died.  Now, if you’re knocked off your horse and you are made to yield, you lose.  Pure stupidity, although I took that arrow in the knee, I hobbled to that archer and skewered him through, he’s dead and I survived. That means that I won. If you think of it that way, then you’ve always won.” Lancelot thought about this and laughed, for the old man’s words made sense to him. 

 

“Alright, I suppose that I’ll have to face him again in spite of it all. Regardless of what happens.” Lancelot declared.

 

“Remember boy, you only lose if you die, if you live, you win. Now face your foe and have the courage to live and win!”

 

Lancelot got up on his horse and continued to ride on to Camelot to face Méléagant as the year was almost out.  He rode on, occasionally taking detours to fight giants, rogue knights, and even some griffins on the way and his name spread throughout the realm and even an entourage began to follow the now great Sir Lancelot all the way back to Camelot as he performed great deeds of knightly honor. Contrary to the disgrace that he had left with, Lancelot returned to Camelot with the full honor and pomp befitting a knight of the Round Table. All of Camelot came to witness this strange entourage of peasants, lords and knights, all came to witness the arrival of this group.

 

Tristan, Gawain and his brothers all approached the entourage in full armor. “Well now, the defeated knight returns to be defeated again.” Shouted Agravain. “I think I’ll watch this again and then we’ll take our turns defeating you.” Agravain laughed to himself.

 

Gawain gave him a sharp look, “Do you think he would have come back if he was going to be defeated again?”  Gareth and Gaheris laughed and Tristan mused. “I doubt he would have come back just to get knocked down again, especially with all of them behind him, he’s got to have something to show for it. We might as well see what it is and if it’s worth seeing.”

 

“Indeed Lancelot, word has traveled fast of your recent deeds, perhaps this time you won’t get knocked down by the Seneschal.” Agravain chimed in sarcastically.

 

“Well sirs, I am back, and I assure you that I will not be knocked down again.”

 

After five days the crowds began to gather and the entourage of Méléagant began to gather as well, for the day that Lancelot was to fight him again was soon approaching.  The entourage then approached the six knights. “How now Sir Lancelot, you actually showed yourself just to get yourself beaten again? Like when I smashed you last year? The way I’ll smash you again? I’ll enjoy the Queen and Arthur’s Kingdom when I’m done with you; many of the other kings and their armies ride behind me. Once I vanquish you, they will destroy Camelot.”

 

“Well, Sir Méléagant, I have twice defeated you and smote you down in disgrace both times before you did the same to me. Now I’ll just defeat you a third time.”

 

“Come and try! I’ll smash you right now should you have the guts to face me!”

 

“If I smash you now, there won’t be enough people to humiliate you in front, no I want a full crowd to witness this. Until then.”  Méléagant and his entourage rode off while Méléagant laughed. 

 

The next morning outside of Camelot in the field, the whole of Arthur’s court and Méléagant’s entourage gathered for the fourth joust between Sirs Lancelot and Méléagant, eager in anticipation.  For despite his poor showing last year by Sir Lancelot, his recent deeds had become well known to all and it appeared as though his former glory was back.  For those were deeds befitting of the former Sir Lancelot before his disastrous defeats.  For now did he feel as though he could defeat anyone who would dare to cross him and never again would he wallow in defeat. The crowds assembled on two sides in a circle around the field. The combatants both entered in on horseback in full armor with cheers and boos alike following them both in equal quantity. The crowds were in full uproar for the outcome was now uncertain. The knights picked up their lances and charged.

 

“Fie on you Lancelot, you shall die at my hand!” cried Méléagant as he charged at full speed. Lancelot merely put down his visor with his lance pointed at Méléagant’s heart as though to pierce it through. They met and both of their shields shattered at the other’s lance blow and Méléagant was knocked off of his horse and hit the dirt and grass with a sickening thud. As he struggled to get up, Lancelot rode around in a circle with his sword drawn and raised high, as the cheers of the crowd grew louder. For it was over only soon after it had begun.

 

“You think you’re finished yet? Such a trivial stunt will not be enough to take down the likes of me! Have you forgotten that you are no longer what you were?! Your days of glory are over and have been over, now I’ll kill you b*****d! Come at me and fight like the man you aren’t!”

 

            In response to this, Lancelot merely got off his horse with ease and without worry and stepped over as Méléagant climbed to his feet and assumed and held his sword ready to fight. Lancelot casually sidestepped Méléagant’s clumsy strike and then struck him hard and fast, knocking him to the ground on his knees.  Lancelot raised his sword high and in a slow arc and put the point of his sword to Méléagant’s throat.

 

“Yield sir! I have bested by you once again! Now rise and go back to the land from whence you came and stay there!”  declared Lancelot.  As Lancelot’s sword point pressed deeper against his throat Méléagant’s face grew paler and paler with terror and in a voice just barely more than that of a frightened mouth Méléagant uttered, “Yield.” 

 

Those of the entourage that did not join in the crowd’s cheers left in great numbers, for now Méléagant’s dreams of conquest vanished into dust. Now, after this, Lancelot was accepted back into the Round Table where he sat for the rest of the time of the kingdom. Méléagant on the other returned to obscurity and was not heard from again, for it was determined that he be sent home in a cart to tell tales of his own, for it was over only soon after it had begun.

 

            Arthur’s enemies retreated back to whence they came, and the kingdom prospered greatly.  The challengers of Arthur’s court vanished into memory and many new knights came to prove themselves, the most notable of those Sirs Perceval and Galahad and many also met their ends as Sir Tristan had and many more during the Quest for the Grail. But that would be years ahead and Arthur’s kingdom was at its peak. Another great victory was had over the Saxons and Lancelot shone like the rising sun as he charged behind Arthur along with the other knights and after that battle, there was great celebration and feasting and all of the deeds of that battle were well celebrated. Lancelot brought to Arthur the head of the Saxon King after the battle and they rejoiced, for the kingdom would no longer be harrowed by the invaders for some time yet. Lancelot again went to see Guinevere in her chambers as he had done before.

 

“Well, good sir, you gave us all quite a scare, but now you are truly back.” She said. Guinevere embraced Lancelot and kissed him. “But I had lost the beauty of my sword arm. You did not let me see you on…”

 

“Shhh, all things of the past.” As she said this, she kissed him and all she had said was forgotten. Everything was as it was and should be, though the seeds of destruction were already sown. As I walk toward Nimue I see a young boy practicing with a wooden sword during the dawn. Ah, that must be the future Sir Lancelot. He continued to swing his sword almost oblivious to my presence. “Well boy, what are you doing practicing so early?” I stopped and asked.

 

“I’m to be the World’s Greatest Knight and Arthur’s champion, I’ve been up all night practicing the sword and the day before that it was the lance.” He replied. “Who are you?”

 

“I am Merlin, the good enchanter, I visited you with Arthur not long ago.”

 

“Ah, I remember you, so how long until I get to go to the Round Table?” Asked the young Lancelot.

 

“Not for a while yet, my blessings upon you Lancelot du Lac.” I said as I walked on. There was something I wanted to say to the boy, something very important that had to be said, but for the life of me I forget what it was. What was I supposed to say to him? I was supposed to give him some sort of advice or warn him about something that was about to happen to him, prevent something terrible? I no longer remember, in retrospect I suppose it does not matter, it was probably not that important to begin with...

© 2020 Matt Campbell


Author's Note

Matt Campbell
General feedback and critique welcomed.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Well, you did ask...

Like so many new authors you're transcribing yourself telling the story aloud, as you would in person. But in person, the reader would hear the emotion you place in your voice as you perform. But...what emotion can a reader hear, other than what punctuation suggests? What meaning can they take, other than what the words suggest to them, based on their life-story, not yours, or your intent? Have the computer read the story aloud to hear what the reader gets instead of what you hear when you read your own words.

Missing, too, are the gestures, the expression changes, and the body language you would use to add emotion.

In short, you can't use the tricks of verbal storytelling in a medium that doesn't reproduce them.

Since we learn professions in addition to the general skill-set we're given in school, and Fiction-Writing is a profession, a bit of study, to acquire the tricks that compensate for the lack of sound and picture when writing for the page, is strongly advised. The library's fiction-writing section can be a huge resource in that, but I suggest you read Debra Dixon's, GMC: Goal Motivation & Conflict, first.
https://b-ok.org/book/2476039/ac87b9

Jay Greenstein
https://jaygreenstein.wordpress.com/category/the-craft-of-writing/the-grumpy-old-writing-coach/

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Matt Campbell

3 Years Ago

Thanks for the critique and feedback! :) I'll take a look.



Reviews

Well, you did ask...

Like so many new authors you're transcribing yourself telling the story aloud, as you would in person. But in person, the reader would hear the emotion you place in your voice as you perform. But...what emotion can a reader hear, other than what punctuation suggests? What meaning can they take, other than what the words suggest to them, based on their life-story, not yours, or your intent? Have the computer read the story aloud to hear what the reader gets instead of what you hear when you read your own words.

Missing, too, are the gestures, the expression changes, and the body language you would use to add emotion.

In short, you can't use the tricks of verbal storytelling in a medium that doesn't reproduce them.

Since we learn professions in addition to the general skill-set we're given in school, and Fiction-Writing is a profession, a bit of study, to acquire the tricks that compensate for the lack of sound and picture when writing for the page, is strongly advised. The library's fiction-writing section can be a huge resource in that, but I suggest you read Debra Dixon's, GMC: Goal Motivation & Conflict, first.
https://b-ok.org/book/2476039/ac87b9

Jay Greenstein
https://jaygreenstein.wordpress.com/category/the-craft-of-writing/the-grumpy-old-writing-coach/

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Matt Campbell

3 Years Ago

Thanks for the critique and feedback! :) I'll take a look.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

31 Views
1 Review
Added on May 20, 2020
Last Updated on May 20, 2020
Tags: King Arthur, Merlin, Medieval Times, Knights of the Round Table