Ah! My Goddess! Anime Review

Ah! My Goddess! Anime Review

A Story by Carrie Ott
"

A spoiler-free review of Ah! My Goddess! I do not tell the story - I simply give my honest review of characters, plot and much more. CHRISTIAN EVALUATION IS INCLUDED at the end, for some viewers.

"

Ah! My Goddess!

 

A spoiler-free review of the popular romance series

 

Title: Ah! My Goddess!

Alternate Titles: Aa, Megami-sama!

Genre: Romance/Drama/Magic/Comedy

Episodes: 26

 

Synopsis: Keichi, a Japanese college student down on his luck, makes a phone call that changes his life. By accident, he dials the number for the Goddess Help Line, and a goddess descends to grant him one wish. Keichi wishes for the goddess to stay with him forever - little does he realize the good (and bad) aspects of having a goddess around!

 

Plot: Let me start out this plot section by saying this - most of the Ah! My Goddess! episodes don’t come in a hard and fast kind of order. You’ll watch 1-26 and realize that the majority of the episodes can be switched around, and some actually seem glaringly out of place. With that said, let’s proceed.

            The story follows Keichi Murisato, a college student who is part of an auto club. Keichi (like most college students, I bet) is quite depressed that he doesn’t have a girlfriend. After accidentally phoning the wrong number, he reaches the Goddess Help Line, and a goddess named Belldandy grants his wish to stay with him forever. She reveals herself to be a worker from heaven under the direction of the Almighty, and she does have some awesome powers as a first class goddess. She explains that a contract now exists between her and Keichi; after all, the job of a goddess is to fulfill contracts.            

             Later in the series, we are joined by Urd, Belldandy’s older sister (well, kind of) and Skuld, the youngest of the goddess' sisters. This provides for some interesting character interaction, as Urd tries to push Keichi and Belldandy closer together into a romantic relationship while Skuld (ever wanting to keep her sister for herself) tries to push Keichi away. However, aside from the everyday goings-on of this ‘family,’ nothing much really happens in the series.

            There are some laugh-out-loud moments that, I do admit, I really enjoyed. That is the reason I believe I didn’t really find this series boring despite the lack of any real conflict (aside from three or four episodes of actual battle). For some strange, surreal reason, I couldn’t help but wonder exactly where Keichi and Belldandy’s relationship would end up, and that’s what kept me going through 26 episodes of Ah! My Goddess!

            If you’re the type that needs constant, dramatic action, don’t even bother to give this show a second glance. But, for those who enjoy a romantic and funny story, this one’s for you! There’s a story buried under all the poof and fiffle, if you’ll just stick around to find it.

 

Characters: I do have to say, for all the lack of action this series presented, the only reason I held on was because of the wonderful characters. Belldandy is a comical delight to watch, and her sister Urd can be deviously funny. Keichi is also enjoyable to watch, if not for his personality then at least for his abominably bad luck. My only complaint would have to be with Skuld, Belldandy’s younger sister - she can get somewhat annoying at times, although whether this is a byproduct of her character or the English voice actor, I’m not quite sure. All in all though, the cast is thoroughly enjoyable and the main reason that most people watch the show.

 

Animation: The animation of Ah! My Goddess! is impressive when it needs to be and simple when the situation calls for simplicity. It is very adaptive and enjoyable, full of bright and explanatory colors. There’s even some CGI thrown in, although it blends so well into the show you might not even notice. Particularly considering the complicated outfits and hairstyles of some of the goddesses, the animation is done very well.

 

Music: I, for one, really enjoyed the music in this series. The opening and ending themes seemed fulfilling and (in some cases) nice and jazzy. The music within the show was average (in a good way), and the dubber who provided Belldandy’s singing voice does a gorgeous job.

 

Ending: Well…I wasn’t completely aware there was actually an ending at all! As I said before, it’s just the nature of this show. The episodes are largely random. However, we also have to remember that there are now sequels, which explains the lack of ending material. I can say, though, that by the end of the series, I wanted to see more of Belldandy and Keichi!

 

Recommendation: I would recommend this show if you’re looking for something interesting to pass the time. Otherwise, there are better shows out there (Fullmetal Alchemist, for example).

 

Audience: I don’t recommend this show for viewers under 11. While most (if not all) of the series is innocent and fun, a few scenes might be considered a little too romantic for younger viewers.

 

Final Grade: 5 out of 10, for a random episode order, a lack of continued action, and a completely random ending. While there are quite a few things I liked about this show, I wouldn’t own it myself. Go out and watch it, though. I'm going to watch the sequel.

 

For the Christian Audience: The concept of goddesses and the Almighty may be disturbing to some viewers. Demons are also present. While no scenes are considered sexual or even inappropriate, be aware that some scenes do show kissing or very light romance. Conclusion: View at Your Own Discretion.

 

 

Want to buy Ah! My Goddess? Click the links below. I’ve set up the links so that you’ll go to a new page to view the item, then you can click and go to the store to buy the item! Enjoy!

 

Click this link for the Ah! My Goddess Movie: <iframe src="http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?lt1=_blank&bc1=000000&IS2=1&bg1=FFFFFF&fc1=000000&lc1=0000FF&t=wyvernwriter-20&o=1&p=8&l=as4&m=amazon&f=ifr&ref=ss_til&asins=B00005Q2Z1" style="width:120px;height:240px;" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0"></iframe>


 

Click this link for the Ah! My Goddess Anime Series: <iframe src="http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?lt1=_blank&bc1=000000&IS2=1&bg1=FFFFFF&fc1=000000&lc1=0000FF&t=wyvernwriter-20&o=1&p=8&l=as4&m=amazon&f=ifr&ref=ss_til&asins=B002EP8TRA" style="width:120px;height:240px;" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0"></iframe>


 

© 2011 Carrie Ott


Author's Note

Carrie Ott
Have you watched Ah! My Goddess!? Let me know what you think! Did I do a good job reviewing it?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

5525 Views
Added on March 13, 2011
Last Updated on July 5, 2011
Tags: ah my goddess japanese japan ani

Author

Carrie Ott
Carrie Ott

About
Want some writing advice? Here's a link to one of my articles - http://www.squidoo.com/understanding-poetry-rhyming-meter-and-form UPDATE: Here's the link to my blog, where I will be recording my .. more..

Writing