King of Thorn - Anime Movie Review

King of Thorn - Anime Movie Review

A Story by Carrie Ott
"

A review of the anime movie King of Thorn. I simply give my honest critique of characters, plot, and much more. A CHRISTIAN EVALUATION is available at the end, for some viewers.

"

King of Thorn

 

A spoiler-free review of Iwahara’s controversial movie

 

Title: King of Thorn

Alternate Titles: King of Thorns, Ibara no Ou

Genre: Sci-fi/Thriller/Mystery/Drama

Episodes: 1 (Movie)

Run Time: Approx. 90 minutes

 

Synopsis: A dreadful virus (nicknamed Medusa) has descended upon the world. It remains dormant in the body for weeks, but when it awakens its host dies a painful death in a matter of hours. People all over the world are terrified, but a company known as Venus Gate holds the solution �" 160 hosts of Medusa virus will be gathered and put into the Cold Sleep Capsule Center (CSCC) where they will remain in suspended animation until a cure is found. Not to worry, for they are under the protective care of Alice, Venus Gate’s internal ‘computer.’ While some believe that Venus Gate’s tactics are a terroristic threat, others see the potential for the salvation of mankind.

            Kasumi, one of the lucky 160 subjects, is placed into the sleep capsule. Before drifting off to peaceful slumber, she remembers the promise made between her and her twin sister, Shizuku, that they would reunite, no matter what. When she awakens, however, she finds a world unlike any she has ever seen. Strange beasts roam the corridors, and every wall is covered in tangled, thorny vines. She, along with the few survivors who remain after the decimation of Venus Gate’s Capsule Center, must try to escape the thorny prison before their time left alive runs out. Like the story of Sleeping Beauty’s castle engulfed in thorns and a silent force sending everyone around her into a long sleep, will Prince Charming break the spell? Will Kasumi keep her promise to reunite with Shizuku, or has the world ended while she slept?

 

Plot: The first thing I want to say is that this is not your typical “deadly worldwide virus” movie. The storyline follows young Kasumi and her twin sister Shizuku as they cope with the affects of Medusa virus �" Kasumi has been chosen to enter the CSCC, while Shizuku must stay behind. Alice, Venus Gate’s sentient computer, is capable of sustaining the capsules (with people inside) for more than one hundred years. Despite this fact, Shizuku promises that she will wait for Kasumi forever. And she means it.

            After Kasumi goes through a long process to finally enter the capsule and await the day that a cure for Medusa virus is discovered, she is lulled to sleep by Alice’s gentle voice. When she wakes, however, she finds the center completely destroyed. The capsules are opening, and she flees with a few other infected people to escape the attacks of vicious new monsters unlike any she has ever seen. From then on, the movie focuses on her (and everyone else’s) attempt to escape and discover not only what has happened but also how long they have actually been asleep.

            The plot is…intriguing, to say the least. Filled with action, suspense, and a high dose of mystery, I found myself excited about this sci-fi film (which is very unusual for me). The most amazing thing, in my opinion, is the way in which the authors superbly tied the story of Sleeping Beauty in with King of Thorn. My only complaint about the plot is that the use of numerous flashbacks/viewpoint changes can be very confusing, although this adds to the tenseness of the plot. If you’re the type that needs a very cut-and-dry story, this is not the movie for you.

            Additionally, this movie was created from its original manga, so if you’ve read the manga be prepared to watch something completely different �" the movie strays quite dramatically from its original manga form, particularly at the end.

 

Characters: Given the fact that the characters had only 90 minutes to develop, they grow immensely and you grow to like them (well, some of them). They are quite realistic, and you’ll find that everyone likes to keep secrets. Kasumi, the protagonist, is enjoyable to watch and interact with despite her immediate appearance as a whiny or shy child. As is the case with all characters, you’ll quickly learn she’s not exactly what she appears. Also considering the limited number of characters you’ll be dealing with, the variety within the group is a welcome aspect.

 

Animation: In a word, gorgeous. I had the misfortune of watching King of Thorn on my prehistoric laptop, so I viewed most of the movie in a jolty player. In the moments when the movie actually streamed correctly, however, I was taken aback by the fluidity and realism of the animation. Most likely because it is a single movie and not a series of episodes, the animators seem to have taken their time here. At some points it also appears that there is some CGI used, which makes for a very pleasant experience. The animation in King of Thorn is some of the best I’ve ever seen.

 

Music: Considering there’s really not that much of it, it was great. One piece in particular really stood out to me �" it was a lovely piano theme which played during the sad moments. Kudos to the composers for creating such a nice instrumental. Besides that, though, the music is simply good �" it adds emotion affects where it needs to. Nothing outstanding, though.

 

Ending: Wow. Don’t even get me started. If you’ve read my review of Wolf’s Rain, you’ll know that I really enjoy complicated or confusing endings. This one, for me, was the king of confusing (no pun intended). I’m not going to tell how it ends (obviously) but I must say that I had to genuinely sit and think for a long time to begin to reconcile the pieces of the puzzle into an understanding of what happened. Now that I have a much better grasp on it, I can say that I applaud the writers for such a convoluted storyline. If you enjoy difficult endings, you’ll enjoy this.

 

Recommendation: I would recommend this movie as something ‘one-of-a-kind’ that adds unique twists to cliché story elements.

 

Audience: I don’t recommend this movie for viewers under 16. There is a lot of blood, and the concept of the story itself can be scary to young or sensitive viewers. Monsters can be frightening and many scenarios are tense.

 

Final Grade: 7 out of 10, for an interesting storyline, great battles and fluid animation, and a mind-boggling ending. The sometimes confusing series of events, as well as the non-conclusive ending keep this movie from getting a perfect score.

 

For the Christian Audience: Blood and death are certainly no strangers in King of Thorn. The concept of Alice as a sentient existence may possibly disturb some very sensitive viewers. Those who believe that monsters are bad because they can be viewed as demons should stay away from this series. Conclusion: View at Your Own Discretion!

© 2011 Carrie Ott


Author's Note

Carrie Ott
Have you seen King of Thorn? Leave a comment! Did I do a good job reviewing it? What did you think of the ending?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

676 Views
Added on March 26, 2011
Last Updated on March 26, 2011

Author

Carrie Ott
Carrie Ott

About
Want some writing advice? Here's a link to one of my articles - http://www.squidoo.com/understanding-poetry-rhyming-meter-and-form UPDATE: Here's the link to my blog, where I will be recording my .. more..

Writing