Incomprehensible Evil

Incomprehensible Evil

A Story by J Harding
"

A GCSE piece adapted into a piece of writing

"

 

The man paced silently down the corridor, his feet warm within the suitable protection of his boots. Light flickered across his face, the dancing flames of the torch illuminating the uneven stubble on the outspoken chin. The fickle flame cast its hope upon the desperate darkness that hung in the stale air and breathed its despair at every living thing. The valiant light revealed clustered cobwebs that clung to every crevice. Out of the darkness appeared an end to the dismal corridor: Set in the colourless wall was an aged, tattooed door, covered in carvings of mystic runes.

 

Careful studying of the intricate markings proved the door’s identity to the bounty hunter. Just as the grimacing man cast his gloved fingers across a particularly powerful inscription, he heard an almost unperceivable sound from far behind him. Although he was deep in thought, he noticed the sound; bounty hunter’s are trained to be alert. The muscles tensed in his body as he realised that he was running out of time. Despite the immense foreboding of the situation and the peril that lay before him, the bounty hunter still managed to realise how ironic it was that he was now being hunted, no longer being the predator instead the prey.

 

The following silence conveyed the worst fears so the sharp sword sliced smoothly through the decrepit wood. The harsh footfalls of the heavily laden feet made a resounding noise as the door was breached. Within in one fluid movement the sword was sheathed and the perilous journey continued, with the joyous light of the happy torch being quelled by the deafening silence and overwhelming darkness in the room. The darkness hung like fog, heavy and foreboding. Yet still the fearless man, despite beginning to get apprehensive carried on forwards.

 

Scurrying sounds came from nearby, scratch, scratch against the harsh stone walls. The iron-willed fortitude wavered as the man whirled searching for his enemy. The sounds got quicker and closer. They came from within the darkness. Then silence came. The man braced knowing it was now his foe was preparing to strike. And out of the darkness it flew towards the man. The terror of the creature was easily dispelled with the light and the sharp reflexes of the man as he fluidly dissected the rat. And, without pausing, the silent warrior made his way deeper into the crypt.

 

 

Any faith in God would be greatly diminished in this unholy place. Despite being on holy ground and even underneath a church, albeit a long way underneath, the darkness had rooted its most evil, decayed centre. Grimly the bounty hunter knew he had been tricked by the old man and his false preaching’s of faith and gold. Now knowing the revered deities were naught but conjured images by madmen filled with greed, hesitation struck the man like a solid wall as he faced what lay beyond him. Doubt was quickly dismissed from the cold hearted killer as he knew either way he would die, but if he strove onwards, he would have some chance at doing some good for this world. He sensed the creature move ever closer, his adrenaline-boosted sense picking up the crunching of the remnants of the door not too far behind

 

Rustling came from either side of him as the lids of sarcophagi moved across and revealed the newly awakened dead. Pressing ever forward, his keen-edged sword now firmly in his hand, man fought back as the un-dead tried to pull him apart with their clawing limbs. The sword whirred around the man in a deadly rhythm, slicing through armour, mummified cloth and bone alike, but still the dead surged ever on. Knowing there would be no stop to the onslaught as shattered bones and removed limbs drew together forming new zombies, the man threw himself forwards into a beautifully carved flight through the musty air, into a roll, before sweeping around himself with his dangerous blade.

 

His feet, not quite yet succumbed to exhaustion, flew down the stairs. The only way to succeed, to prevent the creature and what lay before him reaching the surface, was to reach the very bottom of the crypt. The stairs seemed endless as he charged on downwards. His entire body was on fire, fear coursing through his veins, and pain echoing up his legs after every shattering footfall upon the ancient stairs. An ear and heart shattering shriek came from above as the creature began to home in on its prey. The hunter’s eyes gleamed as he glimpsed what he had been searching for: the tomb of the god of the underworld. He had been told that what lay beyond had never been seen by any mortal. Such pathetic emotions such as fear and awe could not describe the overwhelming feelings rushing through the mortal’s body. Despite smashing through the door, causing splinters to plunge themselves deep within his body, his entranced body registered no pain. Unearthly sounds on the hard steps behind him urged the once fearless fighter onwards, until he saw the mounted sarcophagus. Immortal and unholy guardians strode towards him with towering blades still razor-sharp. The hunter still rushed forwards and lashed out with his blade at the giant structures as they attacked him. Forcing his exhausted limbs to leap forward he crashed through his foes as the inhuman things stumbled back away from his attacks. He reached the vile coffin, embedded with dark talisman’s and covered in sigils formed with bone and washed with blood, and cut into the chains wrapped around the death casket. The blood curdling shriek could be heard again. Smash. Crash. The creature smashed its way through the unholy guardians of the tomb as it dived at the defenceless man. The man heaved at the heavy lid. Already exhausted muscles strained with renewed vigour. Just as the lid lifted the creature’s dreaded claws ripped into the man’s chest sending him flying backwards. The creature pushed all its weight onto the toppled figure, deepening its claws into the bloody flesh of the paralysed bounty hunter. The man’s eyes blared in and out of focus as the blood seeped profusely from all of his deep wounds. Barely locating the coffin the man gasped as he saw a man, fully fleshed and dressed climb lithely out of it. A few harsh words were uttered and the creature retracted its claws, yet still the man could not bear to look at the dark being. The Ethereal creature that had emerged from the crypt looked deep into the man’s eyes, seemingly into his soul, claiming it for his own.

 

‘You fool’ the God spoke forth into the poor man’s soul with a voice filled with malice and contempt.‘ I will enjoy devouring your soul, along with the rest of your puny race’s feeble minds.

© 2008 J Harding


Author's Note

J Harding
I get the feeling that this piece doesn't flow quite as nicely as I wanted it to, any improvements would be appreciated!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Overall a good read, keep up the good work and feel free to send me a request when ever..
One!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

133 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 5, 2008

Author

J Harding
J Harding

London (Laaanndaaann), United Kingdom



About
Well hey there. Jack Harding claims to be an 18 year old medical student at Imperial College London, but in reality he just wants to lie back and write something that you people might find vaguely int.. more..

Writing