The Last Memory

The Last Memory

A Story by J Harding
"

A sort of start to a novel, unsure how its going to work however.

"

 

The crystalline beauty of the frozen webs stood out against the light of the flickering lantern. The same lantern was desperately fighting to penetrate the deep darkness surrounding its bearer, but succeeding only in casting great shadows of the menacing trees that hung ominously over a lone figure who made his way through the icy forest. The howling wind had dulled into an icy blanket which muffled any sound the lone figure made as it strode forwards, unwavering, despite the bleakness of the unimaginable night. Without warning, the figure crouched. The hopeful lantern cast its naïve light on the figure, revealing a slender man, clad in deepest blue with a long flowing black cloak that struggled and fought with the dying wind. The man looked up, his wondrous blue eyes picked out by the ever-valiant flame. His skin was pale, but not yet pallid, while under his hood was a scrappy mess of deep auburn hair that constantly danced to the beat of the wind. The man drew back his white-knuckled hand to pull something out from behind him. The enormity of the amulet that he held in front of him almost made him stagger, despite being so solidly crouched against the long dead ground. The gnarled trees loomed over him and muttered their discontent as he grasped the necklace tight within his powerful grip and flew to his feet, pacing further into the inevitable night.

 

Insidious shapes within the night moved towards him, barely visible for their darkness was deeper than the night. The flame struggled against the sense of dread that surrounded the man, as if it were the very thing causing the ground to freeze. Within seconds of realising his peril the man drew his shining blade which emanated a virtuous emerald glow which took up the fight against the prevailing darkness. The shadows moved in against the futile light of the nervous lantern, which had been set down by the waiting man. He muttered a silent prayer and readied his blade, to confront whatever horrors the night would throw at him. The first nightmare revealed itself, tall and imposing, with great claws fixed at the end of grotesque hands. It lunged at the man who twirled round and sliced downwards. The pain and anguish caused by the deep cut transformed into hatred as the beast thrust its twisted claws at its opponents face. It was met by a steady sword which flicked away and back, dancing a deadly rhythm as it fought against this daemon of the night. Blue eyes stared with stubbornness at the seething hatred of the foul abomination, which drew back and surged at the warrior once more. The smooth features on the man’s face contorted with effort as he dropped to the ground and thrust his blade forward, before heaving it upwards with all his strength. It was met with a sickening sound as hideous fluids and guts spilled from the gaping wound. The monster stumbled backwards, trying to shovel its innards back inside before falling to the ground in a horrible, twitching heap.

 

            The man moved to wipe his sword on the corpse of his foe when the next daemon struck. It was a warped scraggly beast which flew through the air towards the stooped figure of the man, as yet another monster revealed itself. The embattled man reacted quickly, levelling his blade upwards. The airborne creature had no chance to prevent itself from being impaled on the still-glowing sword. When the sword was withdrawn from deep within the daemons skull, the next creature was clearly illuminated by the failing light of the lantern. Fear flitted across the disciplined features of the young warrior upon seeing the newest beast of the dark. It was appallingly hideous, with five undulating arms each with twitching hands sporting long nightmarish fingers.

 “Prepare to die, foul beast of the night, for I, Xaret Faerun will be your undoing, and for you, there shall be no mercy!” yelled the man, as he brought his left hand up and clenched his fist.

          The daemon surged forwards, then hesitated as a surge of energy flew from Xaret’s clenched hand, which burned with an incandescent fury. Seizing his chance Xaret finished his spell, throwing a fireball at the startled monster before charging at it and swinging his shining blade in a blazing arc which ended embedded in the daemon’s side, having chopped one of its arms off. Pain and confusion blinded the beast as blood poured out of its wounds. Xaret made short work of the one-sided fight by cleaving the daemon’s head in two.

 

           Adrenaline coursed through Xaret’s blood as he wiped and sheathed his enchanted blade. He felt exultant, as if he had just slain every foul creature in the world. He was turning back, to retrieve the lantern, when he saw it. The necklace lay there on the frozen ground, its three stones desperate for attention. With clouded over eyes Xaret gently knelt and picked the necklace up and collected the lantern as well. As he stood and began to walk into the darkness once more, a single tear streaked his face. As it slid towards his jaw, it collected his emotion and with this it fell off his melancholy face. The teardrop dazzled brilliantly as it caught the light from the lantern, but even the light’s great hope could do nothing against the emotion held within the teardrop. It took an age to fall to the ground, drifting slowly, before landing hard on the frozen ground, scattering the emotion all around. Within moments the tear drop was frozen, with Xaret’s heart singing its chorus.

 

        Day began to win the battle against the ever-present night, and an orange tinge coated the horizon as Xaret pushed his way out of the last stretch of forest. His legs were numb with cold, his heart weary and his eyes tired. Day hauled itself upwards until the first rays of sunlight pierced the landscape. Xaret scanned that which lay before him; it was idyllic compared to the horror of the forest. Under the morning sun’s valiant warm rays, he could clearly see the beautiful rolling plains, covered in wild flowers here and there and buzzing with wildlife. A sigh of released burden escaped from Xaret as he made his way away from the still dark forest. He searched for a safe place to sleep, before falling asleep on a mound, coated in the sun’s warming gaze. Xaret felt the most at peace than he had done for a very long time.

© 2008 J Harding


Author's Note

J Harding
Any suggestions are appreciated, I seek only to improve my work.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

None at all..
It works the way it is right now...
If we make changes than it wont be urs any longer...
One!!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

150 Views
1 Review
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 5, 2008

Author

J Harding
J Harding

London (Laaanndaaann), United Kingdom



About
Well hey there. Jack Harding claims to be an 18 year old medical student at Imperial College London, but in reality he just wants to lie back and write something that you people might find vaguely int.. more..

Writing