Mr. Grey

Mr. Grey

A Story by Xavier Noe

There was a strange hole in a woodsy area that I would see every time I walked home from school. I never walked over to it, even though I had the strange urge to do so; I just looked at it. 
Until one day, when I saw an odd lady standing next to it. She waved to me as I walked past and being as naive as I was, I walked over to her. She was very skinny and looked as though she had survived a car crash. I asked her "what's inside the hole?" And she looked at me with a grimace, without saying a single word.
I decided to just walk away and continue to go home, when I heard the lady shout with a very high pitched scream "my cat! My cat is in there! Mr. Grey!" The sudden sound of this ladies voice startled me and made me jump. I ran over to her and asked "is your cat down there, Miss?" She shook her head "yes". I walked over to the hole and peered deep into its seemingly endless dark. Hearing nothing but the hollowness of this tunnel echoing off of its emptiness.
Nervous, I looked over to the lady and asked her if she would like me to help find Mr. Grey.
She smiled very slowly and nodded "yes". I waved to her "goodbye" and began to climb down the hole with only the limited beaming sunlight guiding me down.
Now, this ladies cat wasn't why I climbed down, I have always kinda' wanted to do it, only this time, I sorta' had a semi-good excuse to. I held onto rocks and really  any dirt wedge that I thought would hold my weight, hoping that I wouldn't slip and fall to my death. 
Surprisingly, the hole wasn't very deep and I made it to the bottom, safe and sound; I almost could have just jumped down and been completely fine. I was also a bit surprised that I could actually see anything down here, considering there was no light source anywhere, at least none I could spot... 
I looked up the hole to the sky and noticed the strange lady staring at me relentlessly from above, not blinking or moving. I waved to her and all she said in response was "did you find my cat? Did you find Mr. Grey?"
I said "no" and she continued to stare at me from above, not moving a muscle.
I shouted out "do you happen to have a flashlight, Miss?!"
She responded, "no! But Mr. Grey does!"
Why I expected anything other than an unintelligible response...I'll never know.
I begin to venture through this cavern driven by my built up curiosity for it and with the discovery of this cat being the least of my interests, when I hear a loud roaring sound coming from deep inside this cave. 
It sounded almost like a yawn that's been amplified from bouncing off of the tunnel walls. The sound gave me a bit of a chill down my spine; somewhat of an uncomfortable, nervousness that I have never felt before. So, I decided to turn back. 
Squinting my eyes to retrace my footsteps, I accidentally trip and fall flat onto the wet dirt ground. 
While I was lying there, I saw what appeared to be the footprints of a cat imprinted in the mud. I figured that since I was leaving anyway, I should find the cat and bring him with me. And quite honestly, I was also a tad bit afraid of going back to that freaky lady without it...
I followed the footprints farther into the cave until I was greeted with two tunnels that split off in different directions.
To the left, one with an unnerving darkness, bereft of any light whatsoever and to the right, one with enough light that I could actually see my hands in front of my face. 
Crossing my fingers, I hoped the footprints on the ground would lead into the one to my right.
I slowly lowered my head, looked at the ground and just my luck they lead straight into the thick black darkness.
The uneasy feeling it gave me was enough to have me completely change my decision to look for this cat and I turned around.  
When suddenly, I heard the sound of a cat, meowing. It actually sounded very close to me, almost just a few feet into the darkness; enough encouragement to make me go in...
I turned back around and peered into the dark once again, only this time, there was what appeared to be a small bead of glowing light floating in the middle of it. I felt almost mesmerized by this strange light; it was so beautiful, I even felt attracted to it and had an aching urge to walk towards it. 
Moving closer to the alluring teardrop of light, I began to notice it was slowly moving further away from me, but not far enough that I couldn't use it's light for comfort from the darkness.
Catching up to the light, the sound of the cats howl grew louder and louder, "I was getting closer" I thought...
As I continued to walk, I began to feel a damp warmth in the darkness, accompanied with the persistent and loud crying from this poor, lost cat. 
Getting really close to this light regaining the ability to see more of my surroundings, the cat became louder.
"Where is this cat?!" I thought, as I looked to the ground, walking, squinting to see the footprints. 
When suddenly...
I bumped into something a bit slimy and realized the light was right above me
Revealing to me a freakish, scaly creature that smelled of fish and death, with teeth so sharp and crooked they made it clear to me what they would very soon be used for. With eyes...black, pearly eyes that peered deep into me and sent more fear through my body than any THINGS eyes ever had. Even more fear than the fear I experienced seeing those sculls in its feeding dish that read "Mr. Grey". Even more fear than the fact it was meowing the entire time...Even more fear than when it bit down on me and chewed me up-

The end.

© 2016 Xavier Noe


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

87 Views
Added on February 26, 2016
Last Updated on February 26, 2016
Tags: horror, cat, scary, strange, weird, dark, mystery, mysterious, interesting, creative

Author

Xavier Noe
Xavier Noe

About
I tend to write mediocre horror stories... any sort of review- long or short, harsh or soft is greatly appreciated... more..

Writing
Company Company

A Poem by Xavier Noe